U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 06:45 AM

12,457 posts, read 27,124,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I wish teachers would just quit and find some other line of work. I would be willing to buy pens, pencils, etc, but buying serious supplies out of my own pocket is just insulting. I'd just quit and become a private tutor. More teachers ought to do the same. They need to stop accepting this treatment. At some point, pride has to kick in. I wouldn't expect the average citizen to support a teacher, and we know administration and school board officials won't, as they're too busy using the teacher as a scapegoat. The teacher is the public school's system equivalent of the paper-pushing middle manager. In Scandinavian countries and wherever they value education, teachers are treated with more respect. American teachers need to do the same.

I suspect the problem is that the real, self-respecting teachers have already done this, and the ones who are actually going through the trouble of buying supplies that they really shouldn't are a bunch of naive pinheads who probably can't find work in other fields, so they settle for a career in education. That's what NCLB and the 'education revolution' in America is going to leave us with: people who can't teach and don't have the personal pride to find other work. And we'll have mass firings of school staff but it won't matter 'cause they'll just be replaced with the same.
Jeez, talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water! A lot of people work at low paying jobs because they feel they are making a difference. I work at a public library and make less then what even the aides make at our public schools and I get no benefits other then paid time off, but I do it because I love what I do and feel I am making a difference. Social workers generally are paid peanuts but work their butts off too. I don't think that teachers should have to pay for school supplies, but there are many other more important things that need changing.

It's great that we have this forum to vent but to suggest that you must be a "naive pinhead" or somehow not quite so smart as the average person if you are a teacher is going way overboard.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-23-2013 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 12:50 PM

7,895 posts, read 12,174,350 times
Came back to school this week to a lot of supplies waiting for me. I'm sorting through them now.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:36 PM

32,174 posts, read 39,325,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Came back to school this week to a lot of supplies waiting for me. I'm sorting through them now.
And I got my Amazon order today, at home, for a set of workbooks for one of the classes I'm teaching this year.

Why? The class set that came with the books a couple years ago "disappeared" and my system won't pay to replace them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or