Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 02:34 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Hannah Martin is in her second year as a pre-kindergarten teacher at Salem Elementary School in Apex, N.C. The 23-year-old makes about $34,000 a year and in her spare time takes as many babysitting jobs as she can get.

Martin, who rents a room in a house she shares with four other women, said the work outside her classroom is necessary if her students are to have the school supplies they need.

Teachers battle budget crunch with their own money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 02:36 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
I wonder what the per-pupil budget is in Apex, NC?

Old 08-18-2013, 04:30 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
This is criminal. If we want our country to stay on par -forget exceed- other countries in math and science we need to respect and pay our teachers. N.C.'s new republican governor has slashed tenure, teacher pay etc. I'm embarrassed to be a Tar Heel any more.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:43 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hannah Martin is in her second year as a pre-kindergarten teacher at Salem Elementary School in Apex, N.C. The 23-year-old makes about $34,000 a year and in her spare time takes as many babysitting jobs as she can get.

Martin, who rents a room in a house she shares with four other women, said the work outside her classroom is necessary if her students are to have the school supplies they need.

I hope any parents b****ing about buying school supplies for their own child from that district reads this. It is disgraceful.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:12 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
Quote:

wake county schools are and have been for a years in trouble financially. i teach in south carolina and this year we received $275.00 towards school supplies (an increase from 12-13) and received a much larger allotment of copy paper this year as well. best friend from high school's parents live in cary nc which is right next door and they both say wake county schools are in disarray so i'm not surprised this story comes out of that district.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:19 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
North Carolina ranks No. 48 in per student spending, average teacher salaries | Under The Dome

here is a 2013 article out of charlotte, nc. its scary to think the average per pupil across the state is less than 9k. although in SC that figure is pretty close for us as well. in 2012 the district in SC I teach in spent less than 7.5k per pupil which was a 5% decrease from the previous year. Charleston County schools spend around 9.5k per pupil. Myrtle Beach area schools spend close to 10k. those coastal districts bring in the doe don't they.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
wake county schools are and have been for a years in trouble financially. i teach in south carolina and this year we received $275.00 towards school supplies (an increase from 12-13) and received a much larger allotment of copy paper this year as well. best friend from high school's parents live in cary nc which is right next door and they both say wake county schools are in disarray so i'm not surprised this story comes out of that district.
Interesting. We don't receive a set amount for supplies or an allotment of paper. Actually, we don't receive any $ for supplies, the school just provides them.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:55 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,904 times
We (my district in TN) are given $200 in BEP money (not sure what that stands for) to buy dry erase markers, staples, pencils, color toner for printers, etc. Doesn't go very far. And as a Science teacher, our system usually can scrounge up enough to give us $1000 to the entire department a semester (which works out to $250 per teacher per semester). Have any of you priced HS lab materials recently? $250 doesn't go very far. Oh, and we aren't allowed to require lab fees, but we can ask for donations. Guess how much I've recieved over the last 5 years? (Hint: I couldn't exchange what's been donated in 5 years for a Franklin )

Old 08-19-2013, 05:07 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,572 times
Quote:

And shes stupid for doing it too. Why would i give a teacher money for supplies if i know that eventually they will cave in and buy their own? Guess what? I wouldn't. I refused to buy supplies last year and the year before since they gave all my money do the dept head and since she didnt like me, i got $0. Dont cave in teachers, in fact put your foot down. We are not these childrens parents. Its our job to educate them, not provide for them. If they need that, that is what social services, the united way and the salvation army are for because as long as we keep spending our hard earned money from the joke of a salary we get, people will expect for us to provide, provide, provide. When will it ever stop? As long as we keep providing, the answer is... never.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:21 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
And shes stupid for doing it too. Why would i give a teacher money for supplies if i know that eventually they will cave in and buy their own? Guess what? I wouldn't. I refused to buy supplies last year and the year before since they gave all my money do the dept head and since she didnt like me, i got $0. Dont cave in teachers, in fact put your foot down. We are not these childrens parents. Its our job to educate them, not provide for them. If they need that, that is what social services, the united way and the salvation army are for because as long as we keep spending our hard earned money from the joke of a salary we get, people will expect for us to provide, provide, provide. When will it ever stop? As long as we keep providing, the answer is... never.
I can see where school supplies would be a financial burden in a state/district where the teachers are not paid well. In our school district, the average teacher salary (heck the beginning teachers salary) is higher then the average resident's salary. But, guess what? In our school district, the parents only have to supply the standard school products such as notebooks, paper and pencils. We all know that teachers salaries and the cost of living vary widely across the US. Let's not assume that every teacher is just scraping by.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education