U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 12:50 PM

8,936 posts, read 15,857,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I agree that older policies of "sit down, be quiet, raise your hand to talk" might be construed as anti boy. But in that older school the boys were permitted to play as they liked on the playground (within reason). When I was in school the boys (and some girls) played a game called Butts UP we used the A word) where the end result was someone leaning against the wall with their butt sticking out and the other kids pegging his butt. We also played SPUD, tag and two hand touch football. We picked teams according to ability. Boys who used their fingers as guns were not suspended when they played cops and robbers or cowboys and indians.

Boys were also permitted to write about whatever subjects they liked. They were not viewed as suspect if they wrote a story about a bad guy, or that contained violence unless they had other issues. They were permitted to act the way little boys act without punishment. In my school we got in trouble for cursing or fighting but not for playing rough.
Some of those games you mentioned would have ended with this boy getting the blood from another boy all over my hands and clothes .... however, if I did that I would have been in the wrong

I remember getting sent to the office for fake wrestling with a kid ... I threw a fake kick and the kid doubled over to sell it ... the teacher was screaming at me before I could even finish the elbow drop ... the principal in all his guiding wisdom asked me how I would feel if he kicked me - good job boss. Not surprising that same principal who would subsitute after retiring ended up being asked to not come around anymore after wrapping a dodgeball around some kids head.

This is back when "boys will be boys" ..... simple thing is it's difficult for teachers to monitor what is really a threat and what isn't - especially with expanding class sizes and increased litigation and direct personal responsibility/punishment

Also, it's really not that hard for a boy to learn to restrain himself for a relatively short period of time

I also did things in school as far as writing stuff to try and elicit a response, be edgy whatever .... looking back it was childish (I didn't like art, wasn't really good at it, so my flipbook project was a stick figure scene of a drive by shooting .... this resulted in no response, just a mediocre grade ... however, I knew I could get away with it due to the boundary testing that myself and my peers would do constantly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Nowadays, children are often expected to sit down, be quiet, and raise your hand but don't get the opportunity to "be boys" during recess and lunch.
How about eating during lunch? What is it, a 30-40 minute period to get through line, eat your lunch and get on with things. As long as you aren't being out of control it's still a loosely monitored area. Same deal with recess. This is a very minor part of the day.

=====================

A typical school year is 180 days in session - of which there may be 2 hours in the entire school day that will be free of structure for boys to be boys .... so about 15 real calendar days

On a typical school day your kid should have almost as much (typically much more) free time at home to play and express themselves however they want and however you allow.

Not to mention weekends - then you have summer, breaks, etc that are all a clean slate

If you want your kid to journal or do creative writting without boundaries - then encourage it.

If you want to encourage "boys play" then plant some seeds in his head along with his friends - which you may not have to if it's all a "part of nature"

Schools are the easy scapegoat - so much more of the kids life, time and direction is spent in and around the home.

I couldn't climb trees in school but pretty much lived in one for a few years of my life.

I couldn't go crawfish hunting in school, but spent many days in the muck.

I couldn't get into horseshoe nut fights in school, but it was a neighborhood tradition every fall.

In schools we would push boundaries, judge consequences and do our best to figure out the line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 03:21 PM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
As a teacher, I am very opposed to the idea that boys for some reason can't/shoulnd't be expected to sit still, focus, complete deskwork, sustain attention, etc. because that runs counter to "what it means to be a boy."

Apart from being condescending and an exercise in bar lowering, it's just simply not true.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:58 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,985,946 times
I don't think six-year-old children, especially boys, are made to be sitting in desks all day long. That's what many schools require of them.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:10 PM

8,936 posts, read 15,857,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I don't think six-year-old children, especially boys, are made to be sitting in desks all day long. That's what many schools require of them.
In most schools they aren't .... a typical K or 1st grade classroom doesn't have that type of structure .... they typically keep the kids moving from task to task and not just confined to their desk for hours on end

They certaintly haven't grown more stringent over time in this regard either

Old 08-22-2013, 04:50 PM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
I cannot think of a single school that I have ever been in that expects ANY six year old children of any gender to sit at desks all day long.

Will there be deskwork time? Sure. And there should be. But I really challenge you to provide evidence of these "many schools" who are requiring upwards of six hours of seated deskwork of kindergarteners or first graders. Not happening.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:08 PM

15,290 posts, read 16,844,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I cannot think of a single school that I have ever been in that expects ANY six year old children of any gender to sit at desks all day long.

Will there be deskwork time? Sure. And there should be. But I really challenge you to provide evidence of these "many schools" who are requiring upwards of six hours of seated deskwork of kindergarteners or first graders. Not happening.
Yep. Here is one typical kindergarten class and it is much more like the ones I have seen recently. This first one is a private school.

STL Kindergarten 2012-2013 - YouTube

Here's another one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mefes...yer_detailpage

Old 08-23-2013, 07:30 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,066,094 times
Re: Tag. My middle schooler said that Tag has been banned at school because the younger kids were playing and one fell and broke his arm on the second or third day of school (it's a K-8 school, but the littles and the bigs are not outside at the same time). So now he and his friends, who are 11, 12, and 13 years old, can't play Tag on school property. I get the reasoning, but really... kids have been playing Tag for eons and very few of them get hurt any worse than a scraped knee or other fall-down incidents. Oh well.

I do think that schools in general are hostile to kids and the way they learn with all of the testing required. My kids go to a charter school... there is still testing, but no grades and lots of out-of-your-seat and collaborative learning. Right now it's the best option for our family, but no school is absolutely perfect.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:13 AM

11,614 posts, read 19,720,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Re: Tag. My middle schooler said that Tag has been banned at school because the younger kids were playing and one fell and broke his arm on the second or third day of school (it's a K-8 school, but the littles and the bigs are not outside at the same time).
The thing is that a child can break their arm any time they run and fall. What is the point of banning tag without banning all running?

Old 08-24-2013, 07:16 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,066,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The thing is that a child can break their arm any time they run and fall. What is the point of banning tag without banning all running?
Oh, I totally agree with you! I think it's dumb, but not something I'm going to complain/argue about. The kids can run around with their friends outside of school hours. The funny thing is that running apparently isn't banned... yesterday at pickup, I saw kids running in the rain down the sidewalk toward the covered area where they wait for their parents. You'd think that if Tag is too dangerous, then the safety rule would be no running on the hard sidewalk, especially when it's raining!

Old 08-24-2013, 09:21 AM

17 posts, read 16,513 times
Add to that the bullying and how it terrifies the young minds. That effects can be undesirable in the long run!
I think than communication is the sole solution to all these problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or