U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 09:25 AM

25,409 posts, read 14,500,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
How is letting a boy play superheroes unsafe?
When they tie a bed sheet around their neck and jump out the second story window.
When they karate kick someone and either break their own leg or knock someone out.
When they "imitate a wrestling move."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 12:52 PM

5,410 posts, read 9,560,672 times
Quote:
The thing is that a child can break their arm any time they run and fall. What is the point of banning tag without banning all running?
Get all parents to agree not to sue the school when a kid gets hurt and you can probably get the school to reinstate tag. Liability is a huge issue, so don't blame all safety measures just on the schools. We have the system we have collectively created.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:18 PM

11,614 posts, read 19,716,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Get all parents to agree not to sue the school when a kid gets hurt and you can probably get the school to reinstate tag. Liability is a huge issue, so don't blame all safety measures just on the schools. We have the system we have collectively created.
I agree that liability is a big issue but banning tag doesn't remove all risk.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:39 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,361,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Absolutely.

Let your kids run and slip and fall and shove one another during their out-of-school time. Running and shoving (which is exactly what tag devolves into) isn't really necessary for kids to be successful in school. Talk to your school about appropriate physical education activities that aren't set up to incorporate shoving one another down if it's truly a concern that your kids are too sedentary while at school (though I would bet that the majority of parents complaining that their kids are forced to be too sedentary while engaged in learning opportunities at school don't so much as bat an eye at their kids sitting in front of a gaming system for hours at a time at home).

My school doesn't allow aggressive play, because it caters exclusively to a population with highly aggresive behavior. Most schools don't cater to that same population, but I don't blame them in the least for banning aggressive play. Not when it creates a situation where parents can turn around and milk a school district, i.e. the taxpaying public, for "creating a dangerous environment." We have the lawsuit-happy environment that we've created. No use crying about it now.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:30 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,468,045 times
Quote:
I am glad to hear that there are some places where boys are still allowed to be boys. When my kids were in elementary school the principal banned soccer, two hand touch football, and tag. It was crazy.

Changing the name of games doesn't bother me as much as it bothers me that some teachers find it necessary to redirect the imaginative play of boys on a daily basis.
IMHO, both of these things have nothing to do with schools being "hostile to young boys" and everything to do with the lawsuit-happy environment some parents have caused. Whereas before someone could get roughed up playing football at recess and Mom would wash their knee, kiss it, and slap on a bandaid, now it's a lawsuit, parents are up at the school railing about "bullying" and if they don't get their way, it goes to the media. Repeat this for games of tag, soccer, etc. Boys pretending to point their fingers in a gun motion is imaginative play to some and a death threat to others. And to be fair, at times the latter can be the intent (intimidation), while the child claims the former. It's a tough situation, and I can see why the school decides it's easier to wash their hands of the whole business then have to spend the taxpayers' money going 10 rounds with lawyers.

In short, for this to be changed, society has to change. The school is simply reacting to the reality caused by a lawsuit-happy culture. The end.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:41 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,261,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Did schools REALLY rename 'tug of war' to 'tug of peace', and ban dodgeball, and red rover?

This is going to result in wuss soldiers when it is time for us to move in on another country to show them how to do things right.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:44 PM

11,614 posts, read 19,716,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
IMHO, both of these things have nothing to do with schools being "hostile to young boys" and everything to do with the lawsuit-happy environment some parents have caused. Whereas before someone could get roughed up playing football at recess and Mom would wash their knee, kiss it, and slap on a bandaid, now it's a lawsuit, parents are up at the school railing about "bullying" and if they don't get their way, it goes to the media. Repeat this for games of tag, soccer, etc. Boys pretending to point their fingers in a gun motion is imaginative play to some and a death threat to others. And to be fair, at times the latter can be the intent (intimidation), while the child claims the former. It's a tough situation, and I can see why the school decides it's easier to wash their hands of the whole business then have to spend the taxpayers' money going 10 rounds with lawyers.

In short, for this to be changed, society has to change. The school is simply reacting to the reality caused by a lawsuit-happy culture. The end.
I agree that some of the root causes are out of the control of the schools. But the end result is still that some schools are hostile environments for boys.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:36 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,468,045 times
Quote:
I agree that some of the root causes are out of the control of the schools. But the end result is still that some schools are hostile environments for boys.
Then you need to take your argument to the parenting community and society at large. The schools cannot be the scapegoat for everything wrong with society. Nor should the taxpayers be burdened on their behalf by paying for lawsuit after lawsuit because of sue-happy people who think that every skinned knee or act of one child pointing "gun fingers" at another deserves a cash payout. I personally find the whole situation sad. But that doesn't change the fact that it's society that's done it, not the schools.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM

7,841 posts, read 6,921,489 times
Quote:
How is letting a boy play superheroes unsafe?
Maybe. If one of them decides to imitate a "caped crusader" by tying a "cape" around his neck, climbing the fire escape to the third floor, and jumping, it could be terminal. Luckily, an adult saw the kid trying to do this and called him down before he actually jumped.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM

7,841 posts, read 6,921,489 times
Quote:
The thing is that a child can break their arm any time they run and fall. What is the point of banning tag without banning all running?
Usually all running is banned in schools except in specific activities in phys ed classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or