U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:57 PM

818 posts, read 1,481,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, the LDS Church has many young people serve their mission all over the world, thus learning various languages are immensely useful for their 2-3 year stint. Many of these missionaries return with hard-learned lingustic skills. And there are also foreign nationals, who are Mormons, that come to Utah.

SLC has a pretty good foundation of people speaking several languages.
I have a cousin from Hong Kong who is mormon, and she will be attending BYU in the coming school year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 06:26 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,392,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I saw an article in Time about first graders in Utah learning Mandarin Chinese. In the photos the kids were all caucasian. Is this a growing trend?

I went to a high school in the early 1980s where about 10% of the kids were Asian American but the only languages were French, German and Spanish. But this was in a large city.

Maybe I'm just getting old but I expected that Chinese would mostly be taught in towns with more diversity.

Also do first graders often study a second language?? At one town I lived in, foreign languages were taught only to 9-12th graders. At the bigger city, it was 7-12th.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...ALiVnOvxcLkC4w
I think it's great that they have someone who can teach it. I would have liked that choice when I went to school. I went to a suburban school in the 60s and we had language classes beginning in 7th grade. I would think it would be an asset for anyone looking for a job in business.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:57 AM

12,454 posts, read 27,080,128 times
The Arabic teacher in my kids HS and MS will actually be teaching remotely this year. The schools had Arabic language teachers for two years through a program run by American Councils, which is mostly funded by the US State Department and at no cost to the schools. Since the program was successful, and they wanted to continue the language learning they found a way to do it remotely. This is a huge savings over hiring a new teacher, but I'm not sure how well it will work. However, if it's successful I would guess that we'll be seeing more remote language teaching.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 AM

5,204 posts, read 6,457,837 times
What you call a person who speaks 3 languages? Answer:Trilingual.

What you call someone who speaks 2 languages? Answer: Bilingual.

What you call someone who speaks 1 languages? [u]Answer:An American.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:45 AM

2,350 posts, read 4,262,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

I had a dog that could bark in Japanese. He was Bibarkle.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:10 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,980,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I saw an article in Time about first graders in Utah learning Mandarin Chinese. In the photos the kids were all caucasian. Is this a growing trend?

I went to a high school in the early 1980s where about 10% of the kids were Asian American but the only languages were French, German and Spanish. But this was in a large city.

Maybe I'm just getting old but I expected that Chinese would mostly be taught in towns with more diversity.

Also do first graders often study a second language?? At one town I lived in, foreign languages were taught only to 9-12th graders. At the bigger city, it was 7-12th.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...ALiVnOvxcLkC4w
My school is mostly Caucasian and not at all diverse, and we have a Mandarin immersion program starting at kindergarten. Its a great opportunity to give your kids, and I would think it would be a popular option in those schools that have the resources to offer it.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,535,982 times
Quote:

Yeah that last one is a killer. These oceans we have help in one way but hinder in another specifically language.
Personally, I like the idea of bringing Chinese into the learning curve in that time of the first grade as noted.
Anything to move US students' to the wide world out there outside of our borders. America now 'works' instantly with many countries.

It's a global world now in communication. Learning new languages helps them relate to the world and make themeslevs understood. It's too bad we just can't press a button and learn a language quickly. But starting them at a very young age is real good and will show many benefits as they grow.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:47 AM
JL

7,312 posts, read 11,480,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Yeah that last one is a killer. These oceans we have help in one way but hinder in another specifically language.
Personally, I like the idea of bringing Chinese into the learning curve in that time of the first grade as noted.
Anything to move US students' to the wide world out there outside of our borders. America now 'works' instantly with many countries.

It's a global world now in communication. Learning new languages helps them relate to the world and make themeslevs understood. It's too bad we just can't press a button and learn a language quickly. But starting them at a very young age is real good and will show many benefits as they grow.
I couldn't have said it any better. By allowing these programs at the kindergarten level, the children will be exposed to a different culture and opens them up for different opportunities around the world as they get older. I see the younger generation taking up Chinese quite a bit these days. I think Korean will also be the next popular Asian language to learn in the next few years as they become more of a global economic power. There is this gal on Youtube who started learning Chinese 7 years ago....she now makes videos translating American slang to Chinese viewers. She has millions of viewers on the Chinese Youtube version. She does it a funny manner too(thought tongue twister was funny)... great idea really.

‘OMG Meiyu,’ a breakout hit Web show, schools Chinese in American slang - The Washington Post

OMG!

OMG!

OMG!

OMG!

Old 08-24-2013, 01:01 PM

2,252 posts, read 4,313,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I'd rather have them learn C++, Java, and XML languages.
Right, because if you learn Chinese you are shut out from learning any of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or