U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:40 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,354,413 times

Advertisements

I saw an article in Time about first graders in Utah learning Mandarin Chinese. In the photos the kids were all caucasian. Is this a growing trend?

I went to a high school in the early 1980s where about 10% of the kids were Asian American but the only languages were French, German and Spanish. But this was in a large city.

Maybe I'm just getting old but I expected that Chinese would mostly be taught in towns with more diversity.

Also do first graders often study a second language?? At one town I lived in, foreign languages were taught only to 9-12th graders. At the bigger city, it was 7-12th.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...ALiVnOvxcLkC4w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 04:16 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,949,006 times
I've seen a few teacher positions for Chinese at the high school level.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:20 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,268,342 times
Capistrano School Program To Teach Kids in Chinese - Orange County - News - Navel Gazing

Capo to Offer County's First Chinese Language Program - Schools - San Juan Capistrano, CA Patch

Chinese-English school program to open next fall | program, mandarin, capistrano - News - The Orange County Register

Old 08-19-2013, 04:21 PM

20,426 posts, read 35,777,368 times
IDK... a local high school that is almost totally white has been teaching Japanese for as long as I can remember.

And my son was taught Spanish in preschool.... back in the early '90s, with no Hispanics in the area.

Those languages are more practical, IMHO, than German and French.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:32 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,268,342 times
I'd rather have them learn C++, Java, and XML languages.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:06 PM

3,680 posts, read 3,262,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I saw an article in Time about first graders in Utah learning Mandarin Chinese. In the photos the kids were all caucasian. Is this a growing trend?
Utah, you say? A lot of Mormons adopt orphaned (i.e., abandoned) Chinese baby girls. Maybe there is some affinity among the elders and school board members for Mandarin based on that connection?

Old 08-20-2013, 08:04 AM

12,456 posts, read 27,102,172 times
Chinese is considered a critical language The Language Flagship - Critical Languages In most other countries of the world, educated people are bi-lingual. Whenever I travel abroad I feel pretty stupid that I only know one language. Our High School (small town) offers Spanish, French, Chinese and Arabic.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 AM

847 posts, read 893,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I've seen a few teacher positions for Chinese at the high school level.
High school - Heck, in our niece's magnet school, they're starting them on Chinese in 1st grade......and I can guarantee there's no "Chinese Connection" in Glastonbury, CT

Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 AM

62 posts, read 63,444 times
I am continental european and speak 5 languages. Sadly! Though having lived in those countries I speak neither Arabic nor Mandarin.

One of the main priorities for selecting my kids' new school was that it teaches Mandarin by native speakers (Beijing pronounciation) from pre-k. My children are alreay bilingual and will learn Mandarin and Spanish from an early age. My eldest has shown a particular aptitude for learning languages so I wanted to give her the opportunity to do this.

Learning a language and becoming truly bilingual is more than just learning new words and memorizing them. Studies have found that bi- and trilingual children grow their brains in a more dense way than other kids. It's not just affecting the parts responsible for language but other areas of the brain as well.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:27 AM

24,757 posts, read 32,927,608 times
My kids' school district has lots of Asian American (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Indian) students. Mandarin is offered beginning in the fourth grade and students can take it from 4-12 grade. My kids started Mandarin in 4th grade. The district offers Spanish, French, German, Italian and Mandarin.

Some parents are pushing hard for Hindi to be offered as well, but so far, no dice. I would add Arabic before Hindi, even though Hindi's a "heritage" language for so many in the district.

I personally believe that all American school districts should make every student study one European and one non-European language from elementary school through the senior year in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or