U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2013, 12:49 AM
 
9,320 posts, read 5,736,134 times
Reputation: 16538

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
If the lawsuit was for $50, it wouldn't be much of a deterrent to the school district, now would it? The lawsuit is claiming that the child was so traumatized that he didn’t want to return to school. How do you put a lower price on that? If $1.7 million is too much liability for the school district, then there is a very simple solution. They can change their policies to reduce or eliminate the risk of a lawsuit like this.
If this was traumatizing to the child, then they should not have signed the waiver allowing the school to do this. You can't say the school is allowed to paddle, and then sue when they actually do. It just doesn't work that way. They are partially to blame for what happened, so there shouldn't even be a lawsuit for $50, much less $1.7 million
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2013, 01:43 AM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,076,949 times
Reputation: 7668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If this was traumatizing to the child, then they should not have signed the waiver allowing the school to do this. You can't say the school is allowed to paddle, and then sue when they actually do. It just doesn't work that way. They are partially to blame for what happened, so there shouldn't even be a lawsuit for $50, much less $1.7 million
The child was traumatized after the fact. The parents didn't know that, when they agreed to allow it.

A school should not be involved in corporal punishment, with or without the parents permission. The schools mission is simply to provide education to a student. Not to be paddling people's kids for them. If the school was doing what they were supposed to be doing, they wouldn't be facing a million dollar lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 05:24 AM
 
Location: Volunteer State
1,243 posts, read 848,365 times
Reputation: 2159
Let's do some more educating for the mis-informed in here, shall we...
  1. Almost every school system will have the parents sign a form either acknowledging that corporal punishment can be used on their child, or a waiver against it. So the parents knew that this was an option.
  2. In most well adjusted schools, paddling is a last-resort option, after other disciplinary methods have been used and found lacking.
  3. Remember that this world is made of over 7 billion people - all with different personalities, mind-sets, etc, and that not everyone will react the same way to a given stimulus. To assume that all students will react the exact same way to a given punishment is naive and foolish.
  4. Therefore, is a very few cases, corporal punishment does work. Again, you may not like to admit this - you may want to ignore it because it offends your sensibilities, but ignoring truth doesn't make it go away.
I know this for a fact, as I was subject to corporal punishment while in TN schools in the 70's-80's. Very rarely did I recieve it, but it was enough to remind me of what bad behavior was and the consequences for it.

No, I did not grow up to be a violent person - As a matter of fact, random violence by many of today's kids bothers me greatly.

No, I do not beat my children. I have found that time-outs work best for my daughter, but a swat on the clothed backside of my son gets his attention. I have never used a belt or paddle on my kids.

Also, I am a teacher of 20 years, and not once used paddling in my school that still has it on the books.

After saying all that, I do find that 8 swings of the paddle on a Kindergartener sounds "excessive". But since I - and probably every single one of the rest of you - wasn't there to see how hard they were, I will reserve my judgement/condemnation of the principal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 05:40 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 33,828,750 times
Reputation: 42278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Unless the lawyers are getting paid 1.6 million dollars, the lawsuit amount is very high for something the parents basically agreed to let the school do.
Well, that's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Don't lawyers typically get paid 1/3 of the amount awarded? Which would mean the parents would still get over a million $$ if they win. These parents are looking for a payday.
I thought it was well over half but you could be right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 05:40 AM
 
Location: Michigan
12,715 posts, read 10,813,441 times
Reputation: 4070
If this incident is a reason to abolish paddling, road fatalities are a reason to abolish cars, and medical malpractice is a reason to abolish medicine, and abuse by priests is a reason to abolish religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Jamestown, NY
7,842 posts, read 6,567,423 times
Reputation: 13779
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I have to wonder why the OP has excessive in quotes?

Corporal punishment is not the school's place and a kindergartener? Really?

I get that corporal punishment is still accepted in some schools (even though I disagree with it) but I don't understand why teachers and administrators choose to utilize it. Seems to me it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Well said.

I don't believe that NYS allows corporal punishment in public schools, but if it's not a state law or mandate from the state Ed Dept, just about every school district forbids it because of the lawsuit issue. Most private schools forbid it for the same reason.

I taught in private schools for nearly a decade, and I never hit a child because it not my place to physically discipline someone else's child. Furthermore, corporal punishment is not particularly effective, especially when it's used frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Florida
862 posts, read 1,126,409 times
Reputation: 1396
I don't understand why you folks are so shocked that schools have paddling. Most states down here in the south have it and 19 states overall allow it.

It's a good way to punish misbehaving students and keep them in line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 08:39 AM
 
Location: NoVA
13,478 posts, read 9,065,955 times
Reputation: 17827
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
I don't understand why you folks are so shocked that schools have paddling. Most states down here in the south have it and 19 states overall allow it.

It's a good way to punish misbehaving students and keep them in line.
But, it isn't a good way. It is the easy way and only achieves short term results. The research backs up what I am saying. My personal experience, as a classroom teacher who has worked in schools that paddled and schools that didn't, is that it doesn't work as well as other methods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 08:43 AM
 
404 posts, read 671,787 times
Reputation: 433
According to wikipedia, only 8 states actually use it even though it is legal in 19 which I still am surprised by. All of Europe and most other developed nations have outlawed it. It's just one of those things that you hear happened in the past and think is ridiculous when you consider how up tight and eager to sue everyone is these days

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,101 posts, read 67,363,523 times
Reputation: 27477
While I agree it is excessive the parents did consent to it so that has to be taken into account as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top