Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:32 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times

Advertisements

Some kids act out because they are tired and trying to stay awake. How many parents let the kids stay up late after sports practice and supper? Then, the kids have to get up early because the parents have to get to work.

Does Lack of Sleep Affect a Child's Behavior? | Everyday Life - Global Post
30 more minutes of sleep improves kids' daytime behavior, decreases hyperactivity | cleveland.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 07:42 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia
It blows my mind that there are schools that still practice corporal punishment and parents who send their children there.
Well when I was in school I was paddled a few times believe me (I feel bad about it all now)

Old 09-05-2013, 11:04 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 mules and 1 acre View Post
Children misbehave out of sadness (parent dies or there is a divorce, dad goes to jail), anger (kid is being abused in some way at home and feels safe acting out in the school, child has learning disability and feels dumb and incompetent in the classroom, is being teased). And are you implying that wanting attention is a bogus thing? Children need the guidance and caring of their parents. Any parent that thinks they can just feed and house their child and stay on the computer, cell phone, etc. is neglecting their child!
Attention is necessary, but learning that you aren't always going to get all the attention you want is a necessary part of growing up. Furthermore, if a child reasons that getting negative attention is better than none, I think that's a trade they are entitled to decide to make, and a parent ought not feel guilty about obliging them!

But the most common reason for misbehaving, even allowing for the fact that some parents have unreasonable expectations, is that misbehaving is usually easier than behaving. If that were not so, there would be no debate about forms of punishment because there would be no punishment.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:18 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Exactly. I cannot fathom a parent giving permission to begin with.
I would think before you send your child to a school such as this you would want to consider if he or she was by and large well behaved, or if the child was inclined to be unruly. Clearly, this is a school for near-angels.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:36 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times
I'm so glad that I grew up in New Jersey. New Jersey was the FIRST state to ban corporal punishment in schools -- in 1867!

Old 09-11-2013, 10:39 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
If the boy was throwing rocks and crayons, then he deserves to get punished. Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned whooping.

It sounds like these parents, like a lot of other parents are a bit too passive, which is why kids out act.
The paddling is probably making the kid MORE angry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
probably deserved
but when we go and we have from excessive discipline to zero discipline we really hurt the kids
We never had paddling in my public schools and we had no violent behaviors in any classrooms that I can remember. We had respect for our teachers.

There are other ways to punish kids than hitting them, and they are far more effective.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:43 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
The worst part of letting the teacher or principal spanking your child is, what else is going on behind those doors. Kind of creepy if the principal turns out to be someone who gets off on spanking little kids...

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 09-13-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
I don't understand why you folks are so shocked that schools have paddling. Most states down here in the south have it and 19 states overall allow it.

It's a good way to punish misbehaving students and keep them in line.
Pedophile haven for sure.

If the only fix he or she needs for his sexual urges, to spank little first graders, it can be legally done in the public schools. Wow

My son, like in said, went to kindergartens in Mississippi. They asked me if it was ok to hit him if needed. As any caring parent would do, I said no. Why on earth I allow a stranger touch/spank my child. That's absurd.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 09-13-2013 at 09:09 AM..

Old 09-18-2013, 03:03 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
My son, like in said, went to kindergartens in Mississippi. They asked me if it was ok to hit him if needed. As any caring parent would do, I said no. Why on earth I allow a stranger touch/spank my child.
My answer to that would be, because I was spanked myself in school and thought even at the time that it was a perfectly appropriate response when I misbehaved, and I think so even more now.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
My answer to that would be, because I was spanked myself in school and thought even at the time that it was a perfectly appropriate response when I misbehaved, and I think so even more now.
I did not get beat in school and don't think it is ok for an adult stranger to beat my child.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education