Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 03:13 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

I think people don't know as much about their kids college experiences as they like to think. At least when it comes to trying to make a point with examples that are silly.

Getting back to the OP there is no reason for school vs homeschool. I still remember sitting with my dad learning to write my name and doing other things when I was a kid (long ago) WHILE I was in school. Do you think having a child in school means you don't have to do squat except drive them to soccer practice? It's a battle line people like to draw so they can feel a "win". That's really most of what I see these days when it comes to education....a battle that doesn't really exist. Nothing prevents anyone from teaching their kids anything, anytime, anyplace, even if they happen to go to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 03:15 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have to agree with Ceece here. There are some math applications for which a calculator of some kind is a must! Remember, before calculators there were slide rules.
I have a CS and Math degree - very few of the math classes required use of a slide rule or calculator. All classes teaching fundamentals and theory were taught without use of a slide rule or calculator. If you don't understand the fundamentals you won't succeed beyond the rudimentary (again, my words).

Old 09-06-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
...with examples that are silly...
The first step to losing an argument is to attack the opponent(s) .

Old 09-06-2013, 03:21 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Students study spelling lists Monday through Thursday, receive 100% on the test on Friday, then proceed to misspell the words in the context of their writing on Monday.
Exactly. This is why we stopped the "list on Monday, test on Friday approach" at least ten years ago.

We have standards based grading. We don't have a "spelling" grade on our progress reports. The closest grade under Language Arts is "Edits for usage and mechanics in own writing".

Under that standard, the most specific indicators I can find for fourth grade come under benchmark 4.8.g, and there are three:

Use the correct spelling of frequently used words, including common homonyms/homophones, (e.g.,
threw/through).

Apply spelling generalizations.

Apply knowledge of letter sound relationships, word patterns.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Exactly. This is why we stopped the "list on Monday, test on Friday approach" at least ten years ago...
When I went to school the "spelling list" was used as a tool to increase our vocabulary - not force us to memorize the spelling. We were required to look-up the definition of each word and use each word in two different sentences. The weekly test had us spell each word then match each word to its definition.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:37 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Exactly. This is why we stopped the "list on Monday, test on Friday approach" at least ten years ago.

We have standards based grading. We don't have a "spelling" grade on our progress reports. The closest grade under Language Arts is "Edits for usage and mechanics in own writing".

Under that standard, the most specific indicators I can find for fourth grade come under benchmark 4.8.g, and there are three:

Use the correct spelling of frequently used words, including common homonyms/homophones, (e.g.,
threw/through).

Apply spelling generalizations.

Apply knowledge of letter sound relationships, word patterns.
So this is where education has evolved? I wonder how many parents understand what "Edits for usage and mechanics in own writing" means on their child's report card? I think "Spelling" provided a much better description and is where we need to get back to.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
You know, that's one word I ALWAYS mix up. How do you remember which one to use? I apologize for any cringing that induced!
Think of "than" in terms of math.

Is something "greater than", "less than"...are you trying to quantify it.

I ate and then I ate some more...sequence in time

Old 09-06-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I have a CS and Math degree - very few of the math classes required use of a slide rule or calculator. All classes teaching fundamentals and theory were taught without use of a slide rule or calculator. If you don't understand the fundamentals you won't succeed beyond the rudimentary (again, my words).
CS degree as well with 30+ math credits under my belt.
90% of the math classes were no calculators.

And when they let us use calculators it was the 4 function ones.

Only in my trig class do I remember being allowed to use scientific calculators and only for the non standard angles. We were expected to memorize all the info for the standard angles and/or combinations of standard angles.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Certainly NOT to take the place of learning the basics!

If no one learned the basics, the there would be no computer programmers. If you can't spell, you'd make an awful programmer of anything....and especially at creating a spell-check.

Posted with TapaTalk
Imagine designing a user interface not knowing how to spell ?
Let someone else spellcheck your help screens or how to html docs ?

The world does not revolve around a word processor as many may think.
Compilers spit out errors and don't correct your spelling.

I had to teach my son how to graph an equation using tables and graph paper.
He was only taught how to do it on a graphing calculator.
Tried to explain that what he did on paper is what the calculator did internally.

You have to know how something works to go on to make a better version of it.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have to agree with Ceece here. There are some math applications for which a calculator of some kind is a must! Remember, before calculators there were slide rules.
Like what ? Trig functions for non standard angles I can see.
But not for an entire semester.

In all cases though they are tools to be used after you have learned how to do it by hand.

Kids are getting calculators in elementary school and not memorizing their multiplication tables.
They don't know the order of operations to tell if they input into the calculator correctly because they don't know where to insert parenthesis because of trying to use a calculator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education