Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 06:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

Sigh... we get a monthly email with a list of volunteer opportunities and that doesn't include the daily volunteers in the classrooms. I used to volunteer for an hour once per week in each of my kids classes. I didn't do it because I was bored. I did it because I felt like I should and because it gave me great insight into how my kids functioned at school, who their classmates were, how their teachers handled the class, and my kids loved to have me there. Showing your face at your kids school shows you care, and the teachers in the lower grades really depend on having help.I don't understand why your mind would go straight to "bored" when there are so many other reasons.
i
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Maybe I asked the wrong question. I value the work that volunteers do.

I'm wondering - have you ever ran into a parent who was a volunteer that you really wished wouldn't volunteer at the school? THe kind that isn't there to contribute but to follow their kids around and more gets in the way than helps out?
I'm sure they exist but are the exception not the rule.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:11 AM

501 posts, read 932,637 times
This is an old thread that was started about six months ago.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Is it somehow not relevant anymore? The poster who resurrected it offered some valuable insight.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Have you become bored and no longer want to hang out on this thread?

Old 04-01-2014, 11:04 PM

501 posts, read 932,637 times
Quote:
Is it somehow not relevant anymore? The poster who resurrected it offered some valuable insight.
My question was answered.

I am getting a little tired of the people who think I'm knocking the effort of volunteers. I'm not. They're important, and they do a lot of good work. I get that.

What I was wondering is have other parents run into people who are volunteering at school not because they truly want to help, but because perhaps they don't have much else to do with their time, or for other ulterior motives. That question was answered about a dozen times in the affirmative, that some parents choose to volunteer at schools for reasons other than genuinely wanting to help out. So, my question has been answered.

I'll say again that I appreciate, recognize, and cheer the efforts of those who volunteer at school, when they do so for the right reasons.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:45 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
I think it is because they only highlight the winner's and would portray every American war as being the absolute supreme example of how to win with god on your side. All the opposition would be portrayed as godless entities that deserved to be annihilated. IMHO

Old 04-02-2014, 08:52 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Why is boredom the wrong reason for volunteering? It's an uncomfortable feeling by design; boredom motivates us to get up and do something. I think this is perfectly great motivation for being a school volunteer!

Last edited by randomparent; 04-02-2014 at 09:40 AM..

Old 04-02-2014, 11:11 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
Quote:
My question was answered.

I am getting a little tired of the people who think I'm knocking the effort of volunteers. I'm not. They're important, and they do a lot of good work. I get that.

What I was wondering is have other parents run into people who are volunteering at school not because they truly want to help, but because perhaps they don't have much else to do with their time, or for other ulterior motives. That question was answered about a dozen times in the affirmative, that some parents choose to volunteer at schools for reasons other than genuinely wanting to help out. So, my question has been answered.

I'll say again that I appreciate, recognize, and cheer the efforts of those who volunteer at school, when they do so for the right reasons.
Why do you care what their reasons are? Or how they spend their time? Or how much time they have to spend. They're helping out at your child's school.

I work my behind off for my kids' school. I helped raise more than 100k this year. I do it because a) I love my children's school b) I'm a sahm and yes I have plenty of time and c) if my children see me helping at school I believe it shows that I think education is important.

Could I spend the hours I spend volunteering doing something else? Sure but I choose not to.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post

I work my behind off for my kids' school. I helped raise more than 100k this year. I do it because a) I love my children's school b) I'm a sahm and yes I have plenty of time and c) if my children see me helping at school I believe it shows that I think education is important.

Good job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education