Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which teacher is more valuable
A teacher who is weak in their content area but well liked by the students 6 27.27%
A teacher who is strong in their content area but not liked by the students 16 72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:01 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
You can be this kind of teacher and be well liked. Ivory, do you believe that a teacher who holds a standard will automatically not be liked because of that? You do not give kids much credit, in that case.
Most kids actually like their challenging teachers provided they are consistent, fair, treat them with respect, and appear to like students. I've seen plenty of cases where they disliked teachers who handed out A's like candy because they also played favorites, were unpredictable, or appeared to dislike them and their job. They really do care more about your attitude towards them than in anything else. Kids will work their butts off for teachers they like and respect who have a high academic bar - yes, even in this day and age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 07:14 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Neither is valuable. If you aren't solid on your content, you have no business teaching, and if you are so disliked that no student will listen to you, it doesn't matter what you know, you won't successfully impart it. You have to be both knowledgeable AND skilled at imparting that knowledge, and to MORE than just a certain type of student. If you are overall disliked, that's going to hamper your effectiveness as an educator just as greatly as not knowing your material.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:18 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Tough teachers can be really well-liked. I had a few. I'm sure I WAS that teacher to some. The way to be a tough teacher who is still well-liked is to always make sure the students understand that you respect them as people. If you don't, and they know you are contemptuous of them, you will be hated...and rightfully so, honestly. Teachers who are contemptuous of their students, and fundamentally do not respect kids as people are in the wrong field.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:22 AM

634 posts, read 708,457 times
Clearly, neither is ideal but #2 if I had to choose. As a former high school math teacher myself, I know first hand that both of these types exist all too often. Often, I had to sub when subs were scarce and I would get a glimpse of the other teacher's classrooms. In one classroom, literally half of the students came in late with snacks from vending machines in tow. It was the norm for this class as explained by the students who were not late. The teacher was well liked but clearly, she had no business teaching. Ironically, she was the psychology teacher.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:04 AM

257 posts, read 295,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
I put in bold what I think is most important. I absolutely agree that a person with a lot of knowledge of content but cannot convey that knowledge in a means where students will learn. I've had those teachers that knew their content cold but were horrible teachers.

I can't vote in your poll, I don't want either teacher unless I know more about the skills the teachers have as instructors.
Unfortunately, like many of us, we have all probably had experience with a teacher who did not have the delivery skills. For me, I think the problem with the question is the broad interpretation of "Like". At least for me. Someone can have the knowledge, be likeable, and yet still not have the ability to convey the information. There is a great old film, "Twelve O'clock High" (Gregory Peck, Dean Jagger,...). It was used in a management training course, but I think the principles apply here. A bomber squadron has a well liked leader, but they have a high death rate. Gregory Peck is assigned to replace that leader. He's "tougher" and not well liked by the men because of increasing discipline, training runs, etc. He appears to be an SOB to the men, but we know it is hard on him - he has a greater goal than just being liked, he needs to save lives. Finally, the squadron goes on a real raid - all the planes return - and Gregory Peck is in a near catatonic state from the pressure he's endured.
He had the content, he had the ability to deliver the message, he was respected (legitimately by his aide, and forced by those in his charge because of rank), but he was not liked by most of the men who did not like the additional structure, and discipline. He saved lives.
I certainly think it's a plus if you have the content, respect, ability to teach (deliver), AND are liked, but the question was an either/or. If I had to choose, I would choose content for the potential long term benefit (after all students HAVE to learn something or risk failing).

Old 10-16-2013, 09:14 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
You can be this kind of teacher and be well liked. Ivory, do you believe that a teacher who holds a standard will automatically not be liked because of that? You do not give kids much credit, in that case.
They were disliked when I went to school and they seem to be disliked where I am for different reasons. When I went to school it was because we didn't want to be there and hated having to earn that pass. Where I am now it's because those teachers are viewed as a threat to your GPA and to be avoided. The only liked teachers I know who have high standards teach optionals. Only the kids who want the class take the class or they've been around forever and are just fixures in the school. The teachers who have kids hanging out in threir rooms often are easy A's. When I was in school we didn't like most of our teachers. They were teachers and we were students so we were on opposite sides of the fence.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHeart01 View Post
Unfortunately, like many of us, we have all probably had experience with a teacher who did not have the delivery skills. For me, I think the problem with the question is the broad interpretation of "Like". At least for me. Someone can have the knowledge, be likeable, and yet still not have the ability to convey the information. There is a great old film, "Twelve O'clock High" (Gregory Peck, Dean Jagger,...). It was used in a management training course, but I think the principles apply here. A bomber squadron has a well liked leader, but they have a high death rate. Gregory Peck is assigned to replace that leader. He's "tougher" and not well liked by the men because of increasing discipline, training runs, etc. He appears to be an SOB to the men, but we know it is hard on him - he has a greater goal than just being liked, he needs to save lives. Finally, the squadron goes on a real raid - all the planes return - and Gregory Peck is in a near catatonic state from the pressure he's endured.
He had the content, he had the ability to deliver the message, he was respected (legitimately by his aide, and forced by those in his charge because of rank), but he was not liked by most of the men who did not like the additional structure, and discipline. He saved lives.
I certainly think it's a plus if you have the content, respect, ability to teach (deliver), AND are liked, but the question was an either/or. If I had to choose, I would choose content for the potential long term benefit (after all students HAVE to learn something or risk failing).
I'm not talking delivery skills here. Just liked by the students or not liked by the students. I'm talking not liking the teacher's personalty here not their teaching. The teaching isn't the issue.

So let's clarify: A teacher highly competent in their subject matter with good delivery who is disliked on a personal level vs. a teacher weak in their subject area but who is entertaining and loved by the students.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:05 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Neither is more valuable.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:30 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The only liked teachers I know who have high standards teach optionals.
Then I would have to say you have had a poor example of what a good teacher is. Last night, I was looking over one of my kids PSAT scores from last year. 99th percentile. A high standard and love for teachers is most certainly possible.

I am sad for your experience.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:26 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm not talking delivery skills here. Just liked by the students or not liked by the students. I'm talking not liking the teacher's personalty here not their teaching. The teaching isn't the issue.

So let's clarify: A teacher highly competent in their subject matter with good delivery who is disliked on a personal level vs. a teacher weak in their subject area but who is entertaining and loved by the students.
Okay, why then is the teacher disliked? And are we discussing a teacher not being liked or not having their students' respect? I suspect the disrespect is the actual issue. I have met plenty of strict, hard teachers who, if they weren't beloved, at least they were much respected by their students. What is this teacher doing to inspire such dislike or disrespect? Thing is, if they are so disliked or disrespected, they don't really have good delivery because the kids have tuned them out. So no matter how much the teacher knows or how much they technically do the right delivery, they are as ineffective as the teacher who is weak in content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education