Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 12:06 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,629,985 times

Advertisements

WHY WHY WHY?
I want to know why so many people (even normal looking ones) speak so horribly with the "me and her or her and myself aint got no place to go..... etc."
I am sorry for giving such a poor example but it is foreign to me and my brain doesn't easily come up with language like that. I can understand a slip once in a while but to speak this way constantly baffles me. I wonder if the teachers even take the time to correct this language when they hear it? I would guess that the parent doesn't. Why is this the norm now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 12:20 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,571,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
WHY WHY WHY?
I want to know why so many people (even normal looking ones) speak so horribly with the "me and her or her and myself aint got no place to go..... etc."
I am sorry for giving such a poor example but it is foreign to me and my brain doesn't easily come up with language like that. I can understand a slip once in a while but to speak this way constantly baffles me. I wonder if the teachers even take the time to correct this language when they hear it? I would guess that the parent doesn't. Why is this the norm now?
Because half of the teachers speak that way as well and the one's who speak proper, fail to correct those who don't.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Because half of the teachers speak that way as well and the one's who speak proper, fail to correct those who don't.
Please Please say it aint (hee hee) so!!! Half the teachers speak this way?
How can that even be allowed? I do not understand this at all! egad

Old 11-21-2007, 12:29 PM

Oh, another thing is that I can understand if you are typing quickly (as we do here on this forum) and you make some kind of booboo. But we have all seen some posts that were horribly written and it makes you wonder doesn't it? I though am speaking of actually hearing people speak this way.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:47 PM

781 posts, read 3,807,877 times
One thing comes to mind.....I always correct my kids when they say....."Me and _____ are ................."!!!!

They are to the point were they laugh and say...."I know, I know" and correct themselves

Verbal skills are learned from such an early age that if a child misses out due to a poor teacher or a unskilled parent, they will be lost for a long time.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:53 PM

743 posts, read 2,229,107 times
Also a huge pet peeve of mine, as well.

Hearing someone use grossly improper English is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

If it's a child, I correct them; if it's an adult, I don't.

Dh is from Pgh and many, many people use the term (among other improper phrases) "Where's it at?" ALL the time.....it drives me crazy....

Old 11-21-2007, 12:56 PM

77,770 posts, read 59,915,458 times
Quote:
WHY WHY WHY?
Ain't it time you hang around with a different group of people then?

Seriously, where do you hear this type of language "constantly"?

Old 11-21-2007, 12:58 PM

77,770 posts, read 59,915,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
And the other 2/3 of the teachers are busy correcting exaggerations.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:02 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,962,358 times
That's just the way some of us were raised. Some cared enough to get rid of those habits, some didn't.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:23 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,451,138 times
Quote:
WHY WHY WHY?
I was a product of the California school system - as a result, I used to speak that way... then I went to an Illinois school (which had a 6 to 1 student teacher ratio) and my English teacher straighten me out - she was relentless. I didn't realize that I was speaking like an idiot because everyone else spoke that way. Everytime I said ain't she would look at me like I just said the f word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education