Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 04:12 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

On the downside, they found that 81 percent of the children had seen someone arrested; 74 percent had heard gunshots; 35 percent had seen someone get shot; and 19 percent had seen a dead body outside - and the kids were only 7 years old at the time.

This very study pairs poverty with crime and no-goodnikness (the kids' exposure to seeing someone arrested, gunshot, etc, correlating better to their failure at school than whether their mom used crack)...something disputed by others on this thread.

*shrug*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 07:57 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Who is "we" and where are you getting the hundred bucks to "give" tablet computers to 3 year olds, and how will you prevent Mom's boyfriend from selling it for drug money? Solve those problems before the knock-down, drag-out fights over what to load on them.
It looks like this discussion is not about education but about classism with the people who regard themselves as "superior" wanting to stay that way.

All poor people are into drugs of course.

According to this data $100 per pupil is not much.

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/ed...upil-data.html

It is just that so many people will defend their turf to keep the $100 per pupil from going elsewhere.

psik

Old 11-08-2013, 08:02 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
It looks like this discussion is not about education...
Correct. It's about home life (or a lack thereof), socialization and what exposures a child might
have the benefit of prior to "education" having any influence on them.

Perhaps you should re-read the initial post:
The Information Gap--An Unspoken But Significant Cause of Poverty?

btw... do you have any children of your own?
Have you spent much one on one time with any infants and toddlers?

Old 11-08-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Perhaps you should re-read the initial post:
The Information Gap--An Unspoken But Significant Cause of Poverty?

btw... do you have any children of your own?
Have you spent much one on one time with any infants and toddlers?
Yes it says:
Quote:
From the start, children in poverty are at a disadvantage, we found. Print materials, a key ingredient in helping children develop reading skills, are hard to find in a low-income neighborhood ...There are fewer books, magazines, or newspapers to buy, and fewer school libraries.
How much do infants and toddlers READ?

It sounds like you are talking about children younger than the OP is about.

psik

Old 11-09-2013, 02:04 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
Your preoccupation with this hypothetical, theoretical "mom" and her up-to-no-good "boyfriend" is both troubling, ridiculous and hilarious.
Anyone who has taught at a low performing school knows this is a very real and, unfortunately, common scenario. I taught at a school with a 97% free/reduced lunch rate. It was so different from the world I grew up in that it might as well have been another country. Poor performing schools are primarily the result of poor performing parents.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:26 AM

80 posts, read 218,066 times
I'd like to point out that there is an underlying poverty mindset, which can be as basic as doing what your family has always done (teen pregnancy, the cycle of welfare, working for minimum wage) instead of breaking the chain. That mindset contributes to not believing that a good and solid education is a great investment and a way to get out of poverty.

I grew up in an environment where education was emphasized. I hit a bad patch later in life, after not finishing college, and was homeless on welfare. When I lived in a homeless shelter I saw people, especially women with children, who just saw their situation as part of life. I've seen them over the years continue to repeat their cycles of evictions, living on welfare, having more children and wasting money on Rent-A-Center "deals". I taught myself to be frugal and took advantage of the social services system to get out of poverty... I was even able to go back to college as part of vocational retraining and finish my BA. There a education programs available in my area that my old shelter buddies do not take advantage of, even though the programs are free. Their children see their parents' experiences and think that's the only way to live.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:17 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Yes, and it works both ways.
In our family, it's unheard of to merely have a college degree. Where's your advanced/professional degree?

It's just assumed. That's just what you do.

That's why I think mentoring programs are great. I used to do a lot of that. But I did see a lot of people made fun of by their own cultural comrades and a lot of them shrug it off as too much work.

People often forget that mental discipline is often a lot harder than physical discipline.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
On the downside, they found that 81 percent of the children had seen someone arrested; 74 percent had heard gunshots; 35 percent had seen someone get shot; and 19 percent had seen a dead body outside - and the kids were only 7 years old at the time.

This very study pairs poverty with crime and no-goodnikness (the kids' exposure to seeing someone arrested, gunshot, etc, correlating better to their failure at school than whether their mom used crack)...something disputed by others on this thread.

*shrug*
Other items kids in poverty exposed to...probation officers, jail visiting places, courtrooms, police stations, etc.

Kids in poverty have been exposed to this at early ages and grow up seeing this as the norm.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:40 AM

Free and open source education materials for children and teens

https://opensource.com/education/13/...children-teens

Couldn't poor kids download gigabytes of material at a library then take it home to use on their $100 tablets. That would be more than well of kids could do in 1990.

psik

Old 11-09-2013, 11:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I grew up in a family of 5 and my mother didn't work.
While we weren't poor we certainly weren't well off.
Typical blue collar family.
But my mother took us to the library once a week; we all had library cards and we were expected to check out at least one book. And we had one night a week with no TV. It was reading time instead.
I remember this was in place all through my elementary school years. Bringing home books from the school library counted.

And we also had reading lists over the summer. My mother didn't buy any of the books though. Brought us to the library to check them out and put our name on the list for those already checked out.

And parents today can't seem to find the time anymore ?

I still go to the library to catch up on all the magazines that come out. There are more older adults than kids these days.
And I have gone on a Saturday and in the evenings on occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education