Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:04 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
It is typically odd in American high schools to study one or more foreign languages in-depth but it is very normal in many places. Here (Quebec), students are generally bilingual French-English by graduation and many are also trilingual (Spanish).

I would greatly encourage your son to do this, as it presents itself a number of opportunities in later life (aside from travel, Spanish is in obvious demand in the US for business/public service work - you would be surprised as well the opportunities it opens up to Canadian business, which has nearly 25% population French speakers).

Learning French and Spanish together is great because one tends to reinforce the other, they are both similar in grammatical structures that are different from English (such as reflexive verbs). That and learning languages has been shown to increase overall intelligence, the more you think, the more you think.

I'm incredibly biased as I teach ESL and my kids are both in bilingual education (which is a standard here) but I say go for it. At worst, he can travel with it and have fun when young At best, good business opportunities. I'm sorry, I don't know how it affects US college applications - but I do highly encourage you to consider a semester abroad for him in a country where the language is native.

Thank you everyone, your posts have been so informative. He is definitely interested in intl. business, and in Canada in particular. My S.O. is Canadian and we both speak French and English (though would not call us bilingual). I love Quebec and have always been impressed with, as you mentioned, how many kids there are trilingual English, French, Spanish.

I am concerned with whether it would be confusing/overwhelming to take both courses at once (particularly since he will be brand new to Spanish). I appreciate you pointing out the similarities of the languages and the fact that many H.S. kids around the world do take 3 languages (though not as much in the U.S.)

I want to support his desire to do this as this is the first time he has come to me to request that he take on additional coursework. He seems to really want to do this - I am just worried as I am unsure about how he will handle the H.S. load.

On a side note, I am thinking about sending him to Quebec area for a French language camp this summer. Do you happen to know of any good ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 10:12 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
I would encourage that you take some time to read this website below. It is very in-depth but has a lot of great information including camp listings. What age are you considering?

Canadian Parents for French

Old 11-13-2013, 10:13 AM

And here
Post-Secondary Resources | Canadian Parents for French (en)

Old 11-13-2013, 10:23 AM

Thanks everyone for the positive responses. I think I'm going to tell him to go for it. He seems to have this new growing interest/passion in foreign languages, which is something I want to support.

I will try to get him some French and Spanish coursework this summer which will ease the H.S. transition. I am also looking for an immersion language camp in the Quebec area.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 AM

My advice if you are sending him to Quebec, avoid Montreal. It's just too easy to stay in an English bubble there. Cities such as Trois-Rivieres, Sherbrooke, outlying areas of Quebec City, even Gaspe/Sept-Iles, are places where you must use French in daily life.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:31 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Oh, absolutely go for it! Especially, since he has an aptitude in this area.
I can only see it as a positive, and a help for him in the future.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
My advice if you are sending him to Quebec, avoid Montreal. It's just too easy to stay in an English bubble there. Cities such as Trois-Rivieres, Sherbrooke, outlying areas of Quebec City, even Gaspe/Sept-Iles, are places where you must use French in daily life.
He is 14 y.o. and I also have an 11 y.o. who just started middle school French (they take daily foreign language starting in middle school). It would be great if I could find a good French camp they could both attend.

I was thinking of Quebec City area camps. When I was on summer holiday in Quebec City, I encountered groups of kids touring the city who seemed to be in language camps. I should have asked what camps they were in. I will do a little research in this area.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:38 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Your son will find Spanish to be a piece of cake after having studied French. It's not that unusual to study those two together. As long as he has at least a couple of years of French behind him, he won't find it confusing to add Spanish. I speak from experience. Let him have fun. And the additional easy "A", which will help him keep up his GPA.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
He is 14 y.o. and I also have an 11 y.o. who just started middle school French (they take daily foreign language starting in middle school). It would be great if I could find a good French camp they could both attend.

I was thinking of Quebec City area camps. When I was on summer holiday in Quebec City, I encountered groups of kids touring the city who seemed to be in language camps. I should have asked what camps they were in. I will do a little research in this area.
QC is imo the most beautiful city in North America, so it's no surprising to see so many camps. The problem with QC is that tourism is so important that locals will speak in English to Anglophones, even those with basic French skills. I recommend a camp nearby but not right downtown.

The Commission scolaire de la capital should have some good information.
Commission scolaire de la Capitale, Québec, écoles primaires, secondaires, FP, éducation adultes
This is the school district for Quebec City.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:45 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
If he is a smart kid with an affinity for languages, why would he not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education