Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:36 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,156,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Of course some people are smarter than others regardless of how they choose to apply themselves.

Those are two separate issues.
Exactly. And besides, I don't know too many "smart people" (i.e., people I've worked with who have PhDs in the sciences) who got where they are by never applying themselves. Applying yourself improves the intellect of anyone.

I have a neighbor I really like, but no matter how many times I've shown her and even written simple, clear, step-by-step instructions for how to attach a photo file to an email, she simply can't do it. And she really WANTS to be able to, so it's not from lack of applying herself. By her own admission she barely graduated from high school. I say this without judging her negatively, because I appreciate her for many other wonderful qualities she has, but she's NOT smart, and she's the first to tell you so. However, she accepts herself for the way she is and it doesn't seem to bother her much...except when she has to ask me AGAIN to help her attach files to her emails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 08:46 PM

22,413 posts, read 47,402,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post

I have a neighbor I really like, but no matter how many times I've shown her and even written simple, clear, step-by-step instructions for how to attach a photo file to an email, she simply can't do it. And she really WANTS to be able to, so it's not from lack of applying herself. By her own admission she barely graduated from high school. I say this without judging her negatively, because I appreciate her for many other wonderful qualities she has, but she's NOT smart, and she's the first to tell you so. However, she accepts herself for the way she is and it doesn't seem to bother her much...except when she has to ask me AGAIN to help her attach files to her emails.
Have you tried written step-by-step directions?

Old 11-19-2013, 09:04 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,424,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I did not.
You seemed to imply that. Sorry if you meant something else.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:06 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
the words smart and slick get mixed up a bit no?

Old 11-20-2013, 05:48 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,703,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticQueen View Post
Like...people always use the word "smarter." "He's so smarter than me." etc.

I don't think that anyone is smarter than anyone, I do feel as if one does apply themselves they will get better at whatever it is, but then you just haves those that can't really grasp the topic no matter how many times you try to teach it to them.
Oh....for sure, some people are much "smarter" than others.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:03 AM

37,768 posts, read 40,902,683 times
My definition:

Intelligent = book brainy

Smart = knows how to apply what they've learned

Example: Shoelace tying

The intelligent person has read books on shoelace tying, majored in shoelace tying, knows the history of shoelace tying, made PowerPoint presentations on shoelace tying, advised people on shoelace tying, toured the shoelace factory, wrote reports on shoelace tying, has a theory of shoelace tying but wears loafers.

The smart person actually ties their shoelaces effectively and efficiently.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:14 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
Eh...I'm a bright person who always did excelled academically, graduated from both high school and my undergraduate program with honors, won writing awards when I worked in newspapers, and I have gotten where I have in life due to pretty solid common sense, better-than-average interpersonal skills and a fairly strong ability to read people.

Without sounding like an ass, most people in my life would (and do) consider me to be "smart." However, if you were to watch me do relatively simple algebra and other mathematically-related tasks, and that is all you observed, you would seriously probably assess me as having a learning disability or intellectual impairment of some kind, no joke. Am I "smart" or "not smart" if I have a glaring skill deficit in one particular area, a handful of areas where I'm passable but not top notch, but several where I am above average? Very few people are top of the line in every intellectual skill, and there are definitely things a person may not be able to grasp, despite being a smart person.

"Smart" is kind of a generic term. I have no doubt that I know people who consider themselves smart who are pitiful writers, spellers, speakers, etc. They may be intelligent, but it's not outwardly observable through those particular outlets.

Having taught regular ed and special education, working primarily with the autistic population (many of whom have intellectual impairments, and many who do not), one big takeaway for me is that intellectual ability (if we're using intellectual ability as a stand-in for "smart," there are obviously other manifestations of intelligence...many kids with autism with whom I worked were very skilled problem-solvers, for instance, despite being unable to read or write or apply basic mathematical principles in an observable manner) can be broken down a number of ways. One way is skill acquisition versus skill application - the ability to learn, versus the ability to take it further and apply what one has learned to multiple and varied situations across the board. Assessing what "smart" looks like is no simple thing.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 11-20-2013 at 07:26 AM..

Old 11-20-2013, 11:17 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,083,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticQueen View Post
Like...people always use the word "smarter." "He's so smarter than me." etc.

I don't think that anyone is smarter than anyone, I do feel as if one does apply themselves they will get better at whatever it is, but then you just haves those that can't really grasp the topic no matter how many times you try to teach it to them.
Wrong. Some people are smarter. Those that say, "He's so smarter" instead of "so much smarter", would probably be making a true statement.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:42 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,156,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Have you tried written step-by-step directions?
Yes. If you read my post that you quoted, I say that I did.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:55 AM

22,413 posts, read 47,402,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Yes. If you read my post that you quoted, I say that I did.
Indeed, you did!
Sorry about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education