U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:29 AM

606 posts, read 666,984 times

Advertisements

I was in chorus, which didn't require much out-of-school individual practice -- generally we had group rehearsals before or after school if we had big events coming up.

I was a serious pianist at that age and played an hour a day through middle school and an average of two to three hours a day through high school. More through the summers and leading up to competitions/college auditions; less when other activities were especially busy.

My brother who was in band did about half an hour a day through middle school and an hour+ through high school, not counting lots and lots of extra rehearsals during football season and over the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:36 PM

7,653 posts, read 12,907,832 times
In middle school, we had a choice of band, choir, and "general music". Having had a miserable experience with the recorder in my previous music class, I chose to enroll in general music, taught by the middle school band director in 7th grade and the high school band director in 8th grade (a real character, and one of the few teachers I had in middle school that recognized my budding academic talent), who more or less made it into a study hall / movie watching class where he rambled on about various topics. I remember watching Amadeus and the The Shining in there, as well as the biopic of Leonard Bernstein,

Old 12-27-2013, 04:02 PM

550 posts, read 632,494 times
Though geared more towards the serious musician, here's a nice reference:

How Many Hours a Day Should You Practice?
---
How Many Hours a Day Should I Practice?

You will find that deliberate practice is very draining, given the tremendous amount of energy required to keep one’s full attentional resources on the task at hand. Practicing more than one hour at a time is likely to be unproductive and in all honesty, probably not even mentally or emotionally possible. Even the most dedicated individuals will find it difficult to practice more than four hours a day.

Studies have varied the length of daily practice from 1 hour to 8 hours, and the results suggest that there is often little benefit from practicing more than 4 hours per day, and that gains actually begin to decline after the 2-hour mark. The key is to keep tabs on the level of concentration you are able to sustain.
---

Old 01-13-2014, 04:06 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,155,159 times
I am not sure what happens nowadays, but when I went to school we had 2 hours/week to study music and play instruments.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:06 PM

335 posts, read 515,263 times
I'm currently a music major in college. In high school I was involved in various ensembles and performance groups in school and out of school. On top of that I practiced any where from 1 to 2 hours per day. I had friends that just attended the groups with no effort at home and got by. The music teachers know if your child practices or not. At least mine did. And I myself give lessons and know if my students practiced or not.

In college today I attend a 2 hour band rehearsal, a one hour lesson, and about another 2 hours in the practice room. I love it!

What it comes down to is if your into it or not. If you fall in love with your instrument you should not need your parents or teacher asking you to practice. And if no one should ever be forced to practice or play a instrument.

But to answer your question, from my experience is the majority do not practice at home when in grade school. And most music teachers in the upper levels do not push practicing because students will drop out.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 6,336,139 times
Not at all. I should but I dont have the energy to care - his responsibility - his grade - he can explain it to his band teacher.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:28 AM

20,793 posts, read 47,089,414 times
When they were first starting out they practiced for 15-30 minutes/day. In middle school they usually practiced for about 30 minutes. High school, it really varied--sometimes it was an hour or more, sometimes not at all. When they were working on their marching band music, 2 or more hours/day-but that was in the summer-plus all of the time spend in marching band practices--worked out to be more like 10 hours/day . If they had a solo for concert band, they would practice that more but otherwise they would practice for maybe 30 minutes a few times/week. They had a pretty serious band program in middle/high school. I would say our kids were average players for their band and their practice time reflected that.

They had plenty of friends that were very serious musicians and they would practice for several hours/day. Many of those kids are music majors in college now.

One of our kids is playing in the band in college. My guess is that he doesn't practice at all .

Old 01-26-2014, 11:16 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,247,401 times
It really varies depending on the interest level, dedication level and skill level of the child.

-Some kids don't practice much or at all, but like music a lot. They just coast on whatever ability they come with and whatever they get from class time at school.

-Other kids are in a musical group mainly for the social aspect and aren't really that interested in music for music's sake, so they don't practice much either.

-The kids who really love music and want to be good at it can easily practice an hour a day, some of them two, even at a young age. That sort of child absolutely exists.

Most schools of medium or larger size have multiple performing groups (a regular band, an advanced band, an honors band) and can place the kids accordingly (i.e. a student who doesn't practice much can be in regular band, where a student who practices a ton can be in honors band.) The problem comes when the kid or parent has unrealistic expectations that they should be placed in the top groups because of age or because that's where their friends are even when it doesn't match their effort/ability level.

It's important to find a balance between practice requirement and avoiding burnout. Too much stress will make anything not fun. On the other hand, it's simply not possible to learn some things in life (playing a musical instrument included) to any level of skill without putting in some elbow grease.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:20 PM

8,337 posts, read 3,306,366 times
My daughter plays viola in 8th grade. She's been playing since 6th grade. I remember when she first started learning, she rarely practiced because she said she played every day at school. I made her practice at least three nights a week for at least 20 minutes. She got first chair in the first concert, and then it really opened her eyes that she could really do something with music. Now I don't have to tell her to practice at all, she just does it on her own. She loves playing.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:31 PM

1,966 posts, read 1,900,674 times
I'd say about 1.5 hours per day for middle school or high school. College probably 2 hours day min (at least one day off) per week. If you're a music major more. Can be a very big commitment if you are playing various bands, pep, concert, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education