U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:15 AM

3,764 posts, read 6,979,526 times

Advertisements

In Anchorage School District it says:
"Teachers may report to alternative work sites of individual choice, provided the missed school day does not have to be made up. If teachers will be required to make up the emergency school closure day, AEA members will be notified on or before the closure day that it is a non-working, non-paid day. "

We always just laughed, as if we were going to report to the nearest school & say "Well, here I am!" Instead, we just used our homes as our alternative work site & stayed home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 03:21 PM

1,943 posts, read 4,610,295 times
In my 32 years of teaching, students and teachers were either delayed or off for inclement weather. All of us would have to make up the days at some point in the year, usually days were tacked on to the end of the year, so it didn't make any sense for teachers to be there without students. (Although if the weather was decent by the middle of the day, the schools might be open for athletic practices and teachers could go in if they wanted to work in their rooms on their own time). I would do this occasionally, especially if it was nearing the end/beginning of a semester.

TPTB decided that they would try to recover some of the days throughout the school year, by tacking **inclement weather make up days to a winter break, Easter Break (which was only Thursday, Friday and Monday). We would usually lose winter break and Thursday and Monday of Easter weekend and still have days added to the end of the year. For the life of me, we could never understand why they just didn't make the calendar go into the 2nd week of June with 5 days built in at the end and the other days left intact. Crazy....but I was just a teacher, not an administrator.

BTW, we could take personal days if we had vacations scheduled, or we could take days without pay with no penalty if it would have been a hardship to cancel a vacation, so they were considerate enough in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or