Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 01:43 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,245,529 times

Advertisements

As many of you may know, here in the Midwest we've been hit were serious cold and snow weather today and likely for the next day or two. Many schools have decided to close as would be expected. However, some of my other friends that are teachers at charter schools have been told that even when their school closes due to snow or cold, the teachers must still report. This is fairly uncommon for regular public schools, but I'm noticing a pattern and it's not just one charter operator in this area that is requiring their teachers to be in school even with bad weather.

I have a few questions about this:

-What do teachers do on these days, especially after a long break?

-Is this common in your area? Do teachers (either public, private, or charter) report when there is bad weather and the school is otherwise closed?

I've never worked in a charter or been in this situation, so I was a little surprised that my friends had to brave this weather to go to an empty school. It kind of doesn't make sense. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 01:58 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,898,346 times
Our School System has a schedule in-service Day Monday 1/6 They Still Did it with Delay Start for Teachers to report @ 9am.

Tuesday 1/7 1st Student Day after December Break, But will be closed for student "Snow" day Due to the cold. Teacher still are being told to report @ 9am. I Guess they will do more in-service training or something. One of the other In-Service day that was scheduled will now be a full school day.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:21 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,245,529 times
What kind of school do you work in?

Old 01-06-2014, 03:41 PM

44,871 posts, read 59,846,876 times
In my system (suburban MD, Metro DC) teachers do not report on weather closing days. There are occasions when an individual school may be closed due to no water/no heat or some other reason. In that case the students and teachers report to the school and then go to a remote location, typically the cluster high school.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:43 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,898,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
What kind of school do you work in?
Public County - I don't work there but my son is in that district.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,249,236 times
Private, and we don't have to report when school is closed for inclement weather. We have regularly scheduled in-services, but we don't do them when there is a weather closing, we do them when they're scheduled.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:14 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,815,937 times
Like Flyonpa, I am in the Atlanta metro, and our schools are closed tomorrow. Today, the teachers had to report for an in-service day, but it was delayed until 10:00 am. There is no inclement weather to keep anybody from getting to the buildings, the concern is that children will have to wait at the bus stops without proper cold weather clothing. The current forecast is showing windchills below zero tomorrow. It won't make a difference for those that can get in their cars and drive.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:15 PM

6,512 posts, read 8,290,285 times
Private. We do not have to report when we are closed due to inclement weather/hazardous road conditions.

However, I can see requiring faculty and staff to report if school is closed due to cold only. Closing due to cold is to prevent students from being exposed to the extreme cold while waiting for the school bus or walking to school.

IMO, if a school employee has reliable transportation and the school building is heated then I see no issue with requiring them to report to work. There should be special consideration for those who take public transportation, walk or bike to work as they would be exposed for what could be a dangerous amount of time.

If school is closed due to hazardous road conditions, everyone should stay home.

All the schools in my area are closed tomorrow. However, my school is operating on a normal schedule as all of our kids are driven to school and dropped off at the front door by their parents.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:27 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,041,736 times
Charter scool in a residential setting. Monday and Tuesday are "optional" and should teachers show up to teach we are paid double time...YEAH....

Old 01-06-2014, 08:11 PM

8,792 posts, read 15,228,972 times
When our schools are closed (as they are tomorrow), they are just that...closed. Nobody will be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education