U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:36 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,398,081 times

Advertisements

This is specific to Ohio, but it's probably fairly consistent nationwide. Thoughts?

Poverty and special needs eat up 40 percent of urban school dollars, statewide study says | cleveland.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 10:12 PM

14,651 posts, read 10,552,521 times
I have been saying this very thing for years. People scream about the high cost of education, talk about their classes way back when that had 35+ kids in it with no discipline problems, and bash teachers when the real problem is the changing focus of the schools from institutes of education to institutes of caretaking and child rearing.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:38 AM

2,912 posts, read 3,538,299 times
How truly discouraging.

I have long felt that a school board with the power to tax is more of a threat to me, personally, than any terrorist organization. The town where I live is overrun with "refugees" who have been literally forced out of their homes in New Jersey (for example) by property tax.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:46 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,905,156 times
The Rhee-formers would say that is just an excuse and to open more charter schools.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:05 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,290,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I have been saying this very thing for years. People scream about the high cost of education, talk about their classes way back when that had 35+ kids in it with no discipline problems, and bash teachers when the real problem is the changing focus of the schools from institutes of education to institutes of caretaking and child rearing.
I agree. Academics is being watered down and taking a back seat.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:17 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,398,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
The Rhee-formers would say that is just an excuse and to open more charter schools.
Charter schools that ironically will find ways to filter out students with special needs so that they can save money and juke test scores.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:32 PM

20,294 posts, read 16,464,754 times
I used to work with special needs kids in a public school district, and was amazed at the amount of money they required be spent. The schools didn't want to spend it but often had no choice. The laws are on the parents side, and they would often come to initial IEP meetings with lawyers and/or advocates, and hand a list of demands to the child study team with what they wanted, including bus aides, special therapies, even their own personal teacher in some cases. Saying "no" meant court costs and the schools often lost in court anyway. School districts are responsible for whatever the child in their district needs, even if it's a private/residential school that can cost upwards of $50,000 a year. If a special needs child misbehaved on the bus and got a bus suspension, the district was required to pay for a taxi for the child to get to and from school. It's really unbelievable, but it's not the fault of the school districts.

This was a suburban school district, where in my experience the parents had a much stronger sense of entitlement than that of urban district lower income parents.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:14 PM

33,832 posts, read 41,883,302 times
Not entitlement so much but sophisticated enough to know how to work the system.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:50 AM

20,294 posts, read 16,464,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not entitlement so much but sophisticated enough to know how to work the system.
Yes, this. Most of the special needs kids in poorer districts actually get much less because their parents don't know better and don't have the same clout/attorneys, etc.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:48 AM

5,640 posts, read 17,279,940 times
Agreed, then there are children who are "not bad enough" to warrant inclusion in a minor program to assist them through a rough patch. Those are the kids that slip through the cracks without an attentive parent to notice the child is slipping. Kids with grades that are not failing, but C and Ds.
I think it is different in every state, but in our state, they rely heavily on local property tax to fund the schools. Much more heavily that most other states. How the schools are funded makes a huge different I am thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or