Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 05:51 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post

Some of the negative comments have blown me away. Interesting how quick people are to negatively judge something they know absolutely nothing about.
LOL!
The OP has the most negative attitude of anyone!
And the OP knows nothing of homeschooling, other than he wants to homeschool the kids he does not yet have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:23 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
Like this guy tried to do? Parent Removed, Arrested at MD Board of Education 'Common Core' Meeting

I am not silly for wanting the best for my future kids. To me, public school is not an option for me. I am not silly for not wanting my kids exposed to sex and getting condoms and Plan B in elementary, like these schools;
Chicago Public Schools to Start Sex Education in Kindergarten

Condom distribution policy starting in elementary school at Provincetown, Mass. - NY Daily News

New York City Public Schools Handed Out 'Morning-After Pill' To Thousands More Than Reported

I am not silly for not wanting my kids to be in a school that is pro-abortion, like this:
LifeSiteNews Mobile | More than 100 parents protest as Arizona school chooses from three pro-abortion sex ed courses

Schools should be pro-NOTHING. They should be neutral. Just because I don't want my kids discussing sex and birth control and abortions in elementary school doesn't mean I am trying to shelter them or hide them from the world. I want to be the one that teaches them those things, not some freaking government run school. I am not the "Wait Until Marriage" type, if they do want to wait that's fine. If they don't that's fine. But dang, let them finish their childhoods first! You got these kids barely in the double digits sleeping with boys when all they should be sleeping with is a teddy bear and night light. Loosing their virginity when all they should be loosing is their teeth. And public schools are teaching these babies that it's OK to kill babies? WTH? If that is what "normal" kids learn now, then I don't want my kids to be normal.
That guy was tossed out by a superintendent with very little background in education. That is the problem right now, this whole "reform"/common core business is being brought to you by people who have never been in the classroom. Since anti-public school people have consistently failed at making citizens believe public school was bad for decades, they have now chosen to use hedge-fund donated money and crooked politicians to simply weigh the public schools down with nonsense to simple jade parents who believed in public ed. This superintendent is one of many from the reform movement who have no concept of civics, government for the people and by the people, or public transparency.

BTW, three kids in public school. Not one of them has learned that it's okay to kill babies, been given a condom or a morning after pill. If you don't want sex ed (and mine haven't received it yet either), then pull them from that class. A good parent follows up on what their kids are learning at school and the schools show you everything they will be showing the kids if you are interested. So if you are going to be paranoid, then at least get your facts straight and site some legitimate news sources. Life Site News?? Really?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:29 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,067 times
Quote:
Really?

You need to hang out with some homeschoolers where I come from.
No thanks. I believe I said some homeschoolers do fine. I won't lie and say all of them are though.

Quote:
Bravo. Poupon, great post. I am not saying testing shouldn't be in schools but when the whole curriculum revolves around tests, teaching to the tests, high scores, then it's time to be concerned. Creativity is frowned upon. Public school is like a factory - churns out everyone the same way, one size fits all, cram-for-the-test-fest. High grades aren't everything. Education and learning should be fun and exciting and hands-on. Education should be more than sitting in a crowded classroom everyday. Processed is a good word to use - the only thing that matters to them is students regurgitating information for the tests.

People who say they would never ever homeschool because they aren't "qualified", wow. Because being qualifed now means, once again, teaching tests and only tests.
That's society's failure as citizens to stop it from happening. Plenty of us are speaking out now, but we are out moneyed by the reform movement. But I will keep trying as I don't think homeschooling is a good option for our family and believe that schools are the center of our communities.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:53 AM

4,511 posts, read 4,043,147 times
Quote:
If you could homeschool your kids without having to worry about money or a job, would you do it?

I don't have kids but if I ever do I would consider homeschooling them. Public schools today are out of control. That 'zero tolerance' nonsense, too much kids getting involved in sex and drugs at younger and younger ages, Tests, tests and more tests. Common Core? No thanks. The Government will not control my future kids' education.

I went to public school and hated it. Homeschooling allow you to work at your own pace. Anyone who says parents are sheltering their kids and keeping them in a bubble are ignorant. There are plenty of places to make friends by joining bowling leagues, homeschooling groups, local sports, enrichment classes, volunteering, etc.
Exactly my position. If I could though I'd have them go to public/private school for some things and then enroll them in extra curricular, tech school, college courses, or world tours for the rest.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:05 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Nope. I would, however, move to ensure my son got into a good school system where there were lots of opportunities. Which, I did.

Homeschool? No way. We fought over homework; I seriously can't imagine spending all day arguing.

He was a good student; just not with me!

Old 01-21-2014, 11:14 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
Don't you get it? I'm not basing my posts off just MY experiences. Look around you. Read the news. Talk to real public school teachers. Most of the good ones are unhappy with how public schools are becoming.
Your childless experiences...yeah...gonna move on.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:08 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
There are pluses and minus' for both.
I certainly applaud those who do it. I would like to myself but I don't have the time, knowledge or patients. Most importantly patience.

I can see the risks of public school. You have to give up some of your control as a parent. Still, there is no reason any well meaning parent shouldn't have their finger on the pulse of their child's education even in public schools with the use of email, school and or teacher websites and school functions. You should email your child's teacher at least once a week, especially at the elementary level. You should attend all teacher/parent conferences and most of the school functions. If this is done, there is no reason not to have a good comfort level of your child's education.

This becomes increasingly harder as they get to middle school and high school but hopefully by then they will have developed good learning habits and will excel with less parent interaction.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:06 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
You are making an assumption that a homeschooled child will fail standardized tests and that all homeschoolers are doing so to "shelter" their kids from standardized testing.
I'm biting my tongue in my response to you because you are making assumptions here with no factual data to back it up and I'd take a chance at saying that you've had little to no crossover with homeschooled students.

BTW my homeschooled children did take the SAT/ACT and did fabulously and graduated from college tops in their class!
Where on earth did you come to the conclusion that I am making such an assumption? I've said at least three times now that I personally know successful children who are homeschooled. My point is that it needs to be done right. I never once said that doesn't happen all the time. But sometimes homeschooling does fail for whatever reason. It's almost more like you are making an assumption that parents always do an effective job of homeschooling.

And for the record I have 7 cousins who were homeschooled and my brother is being homeschooled. My cousins had mixed results with it.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:18 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
I just unsubscribed from a debate in which all the teachers are adamant that the educational burden is primarily on the parents. They said that the parents should know what the curriculum is and make sure the kids have learned it by going over it with them each night. They all agreed with that idea.

Which makes me wonder: What are they doing that they expect me to go over the work every night with my kids?

In fact, I pretty much did had to do that with my kids.

Combined that with the fact that public schools today are socially just barely above prisons (perhaps equal to minimum security prisons), I would never send any future children to a public school. I'd homeschool just to keep them out of the environment, and certainly if their teachers are expecting me to do the teaching anyway.

Public schools today are Lord of the Flies environments that have no relation to the "real world." The basic social structure is identical to prison, and the "inmates" keep order as happens in prison.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:26 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Interesting article. While I agree that to a certain extent a children's personality/temperament is just "how they were born" I don't think the importance of socialization should be understated. In many ways it is the mechanism by which a child finds his/her own identity and acclimates to cultural norms.

I do agree with your other point - public/private schooling does not necessarily mean a child will be well-socialized. But there's a better chance of it when the children are interacting with other children on a regular basis than when they aren't. At the end of the day a child's success often depends on how committed and involved the parents are, whether the child is homeschooled or attends public/private school.
I think public schools today pretty certainly guarantee that the kids will be negatively socialized and will have to be "resocialized" when they get out into the "real world."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education