Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 04:02 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,710,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I was referring more to PHYSICAL labor, and I'm convinced that many 20-somethings have never done any at all...EVER. Especially when there's an I-Phone to stare at every minute of the day...
My students maybe late teens not early 20s, but many of them work very hard, frequently for no other reason than because they want to help someone out.

Last year 15 of my seniors who had just graduated the year before came back from college and spent three entire weekends moving furniture, ripping out sheet rock, filling dumpsters, and basically getting really filthy to help people in our area effected by Sandy. The one weekend I didn't go with them, they randomly met a guy in the street who asked for help and they (and one of the dad's) built this man a wheelchair ramp so his dad could come home.

The summer before the storm, another group of 30 of them spent four separate days digging dune grass up and removing all of the roots to help a restoration project at our local national park.

Next weekend a bunch of the current ones are going to a less privileged neighborhood to build/refurbish three classrooms in the basement to act as an aftercare facility for a local elementary school.

Enough of this myth that "kids nowadays" are lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:50 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,714,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Anyone remember this bumper sticker? I saw one the other day and instead of chuckling, it set me to thinking. I'm a little tired of the anti-education, anti-intellectual attitude that so many people in this country seem to have.

When it really comes down to it this bumper sticker is not funny. It suggests that not having an honor student is something for a parent to be proud of.

Blue collar jobs are disappearing in this country. Whether we like it or not, young people are going to require advanced education to succeed in all the high technology fields that will have job openings. That's a message we need to send to young people.

If you think that bumper sticker is funny, its really not.
How is any bumper sticker, that brags about your child being a bully, funny? It's nothing more than a pathetic attempt, to make excuses, for your child not doing well in school. What that bumper sticker says to me? Here is a "grownup", acting like a little brat, who is saying, "Oh yeah, well, your kid might be smarter, but my kid can kick your kid's a$$". It says to me, that the person who put the bumper sticker on that car, needs to grow up! It makes me feel sorry for their kid!

So...well played, oh brilliant parent. You've just announced, to the entire world, with that little sticker, that you are an epic failure as a parent. Well played indeed!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:41 AM

37,787 posts, read 40,965,948 times
I can tell you are all parents. The bumper sticker is making fun of you not your kids.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:46 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,302,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
So very glad our kids went to school in an area where being smart was cool
And that's just it.
When I say I want my kid around other kids who are about achieving and good grades, people on this forum call me a snob. That's just another form of anti-intellectualism.
Frankly, everyone knows that your environment (family, peers) plays the biggest part in your personal success...so why is it a bad thing to want a good environment?

It's not a bad thing. But people don't like feeling snubbed/excluded.

You know, when you play with better people, your game levels up. That's what we should ALL want.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:11 AM

155 posts, read 267,371 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Personally, I find the 'My kid in an honor student' ones the most annoying....as the parents that tend to have them are most annoying sorts. I am the parent of an honor student but I didn't have to plaster it on the back of my car for attention. It's not anti-education at all...it's anti-bragging.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:34 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,302,562 times
Bumper stickers, whether they are the "honor student" kind or the "26.2" kind or whatever...just...bleah.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:43 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,900,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I can tell you are all parents. The bumper sticker is making fun of you not your kids.
This post really gets to the heart of the matter. Every thing does not need to be publicized.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:03 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,498,758 times
I love the people in this thread that are pro-honor roll stickers and anti "my kid beat up your honor student" stickers, because some of them (not all) come across crazily smug; "My honor roll sticker is harmless, it can't offend anyone, it is necessary for the children to develop emotionally!" followed by "Your sticker is in bad taste, it is offensive, you promote all the violence in the world!"

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Again, not all of the pro honor roll sticker crowd is like this, but a lot are, and it is funny as heck.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:12 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,647,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Anyone remember this bumper sticker? I saw one the other day and instead of chuckling, it set me to thinking. I'm a little tired of the anti-education, anti-intellectual attitude that so many people in this country seem to have.

When it really comes down to it this bumper sticker is not funny. It suggests that not having an honor student is something for a parent to be proud of.

Blue collar jobs are disappearing in this country. Whether we like it or not, young people are going to require advanced education to succeed in all the high technology fields that will have job openings. That's a message we need to send to young people.

If you think that bumper sticker is funny, its really not.
im not so sure its "anti-intellectual" so much as "anti-bragging about your child."

Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 PM

251 posts, read 273,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
+1

Actually, I've seen the bumper sticker. It is basically making fun of the parents that display the sticker "Proud parent of Honor Roll Student". Attention-seeking parent, boastful parent ideal bumper sticker. So the bumper sticker stating "my student beat up your honor roll student" is getting a rise out of the boasting parent. Get it? Good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education