Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 01:12 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times

Advertisements

Anyone remember this bumper sticker? I saw one the other day and instead of chuckling, it set me to thinking. I'm a little tired of the anti-education, anti-intellectual attitude that so many people in this country seem to have.

When it really comes down to it this bumper sticker is not funny. It suggests that not having an honor student is something for a parent to be proud of.

Blue collar jobs are disappearing in this country. Whether we like it or not, young people are going to require advanced education to succeed in all the high technology fields that will have job openings. That's a message we need to send to young people.

If you think that bumper sticker is funny, its really not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 01:17 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
I never found that one amusing, either. However, I do find mine amusing. It reads, "My CAT is smarter than your honor student".

Now, I obviously don't believe that cats are smarter than humans ... though cats do outsmart humans on a fairly regular basis. It's just a cute poke at the unfunny violent one.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:23 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
I agree, Mark. The anti-intellectual attitude in this country is depressing.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:18 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Frankly, I find bumper stickers obnoxious, but the ones that tout a child's accomplishments are in a category all their own.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:24 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
I don't think it's such a big deal. Just a light hearted bumper sticker... no reason to look into it any more than that

Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 PM

144 posts, read 264,276 times
I understand what you mean, but where's the evidence that says blue collar jobs are disappearing? Every year more and more of these same young people that require advanced education are graduating with no jobs to be had. Blue collar jobs actually look like they are re-emerging as a viable career choice. They aren't there just for felons and country bumpkins that you apparently think occupy the role so neatly.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:04 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMission View Post
I understand what you mean, but where's the evidence that says blue collar jobs are disappearing? Every year more and more of these same young people that require advanced education are graduating with no jobs to be had. Blue collar jobs actually look like they are re-emerging as a viable career choice. They aren't there just for felons and country bumpkins that you apparently think occupy the role so neatly.
This is a good point, a plumber for example makes more than a lot of white collar workers. A friend of mine has a son with a small one man pool cleaning company and he makes a steady 130,000 yearly, works until 1:00 in the afternoon, where's his headphones and jams out to music while cleaning the pools and loves his job.
Of course he lives in an area with a lot of swimming pools.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:08 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I don't think it's such a big deal. Just a light hearted bumper sticker... no reason to look into it any more than that
One persons joke is another persons hurt feelings. I just keep picturing a happy little honor student looking over at that bumper sticker and getting a tummy ache. Not really that funny and kids will read more into it.
Not to mention the bully kid who reads it and says, heck ya, I'll kick some honor butts cuz they are stupid. I just can't help picturing the stereotypes. It just seems like a joke gone wrong.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:35 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetMission View Post
The only reason blue collar jobs look good is because there are fewer people with those skills. There are still far fewer blue collar jobs than there used to be.

Same goes for tech jobs. It's a declining field here. All those jobs are going to India.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
So very glad our kids went to school in an area where being smart was cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education