Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:13 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, because that's what Rep. Margaret Markey, NY, wants to do here.

Of course, that also allows the various "professionals" to use that opportunity to badger Johnny and Suzie about their parents' activities, safety precautions, and.....ta-da.....guns in the home. After which a file will be maintained on Johnny, who acts like Tom Sawyer and so, therefore, will be medicated at school by people practicing medicine without a license, and won't be allowed to go hunting with dad.

Yet another reason to send kids to private schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 10:02 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Delahanty, Can you provide a link?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:39 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default I hope they commit her, if you know what I mean

A8186-2013 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Includes psychological screening for students in public schools as part of the required health certificate - New York State Senate

This is crazy!

"A health certificate shall be furnished by each student in the public schools upon his or her entrance in such schools and upon his or her entry into the grades prescribed by the commissioner in regulations, provided that such regulations shall require such certificates at least twice during the elementary grades and twice in the secondary grades.EACH SUCH CERTIFICATE SHALL ALSO STATE THAT A PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAMINATION WAS PERFORMED AND THAT THE CHILD IS MENTALLY FIT TO PERMIT ATTENDANCE AT SCHOOL." (Uppercase in the original)

Old 02-07-2014, 02:44 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Before you know it, it will be nationwide policy!

Old 02-07-2014, 05:54 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Before you know it, it will be nationwide policy!
It should be. There are a lot of mentally and emotionally disturbed children who shouldn't be in public schools. Least restrictive environment protects them while putting their classmates, and sometimes teachers, in danger. This especially true of children who suffer from ODD and can become very violent.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
A8186-2013 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Includes psychological screening for students in public schools as part of the required health certificate - New York State Senate

This is crazy!

"A health certificate shall be furnished by each student in the public schools upon his or her entrance in such schools and upon his or her entry into the grades prescribed by the commissioner in regulations, provided that such regulations shall require such certificates at least twice during the elementary grades and twice in the secondary grades.EACH SUCH CERTIFICATE SHALL ALSO STATE THAT A PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAMINATION WAS PERFORMED AND THAT THE CHILD IS MENTALLY FIT TO PERMIT ATTENDANCE AT SCHOOL." (Uppercase in the original)
It also says:
Quote:
Each such certificate shall also state the student's body mass index (BMI) and weight status category. For purposes of this section, BMI is computed as the weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters or the weight in pounds divided by the square of height in inches multiplied by a conversion factor of 703. Weight status categories for children and adolescents shall be as defined by the commissioner of health. In all school districts such physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner shall determine whether a one-time test for sickle cell anemia is necessary or desirable and he or she shall
conduct such a test and the certificate shall state the results.
Why do we need to know the BMI of kids for them to attend school?

The bill has not passed yet. I have no idea if it will, but I don't think it is a good idea.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
It should be. There are a lot of mentally and emotionally disturbed children who shouldn't be in public schools. Least restrictive environment protects them while putting their classmates, and sometimes teachers, in danger. This especially true of children who suffer from ODD and can become very violent.
The question is...what are they going to do with the information? As far as I'm concerned, if the governent is going to pull a "potentially intrusive" act like this, they damned sure better know what they're going to do about those kids. I'm not saying that there aren't kids out there who are a danger to themselves and others....kids who should be getting help. What I am saying though, is I flat-out do not trust the government's judgement, when it comes to what's best for children, or anyone else for that matter.

The friggin government, rather than revamping the mental health care system in this country, made the decision to simply close down the majority of mental health institutions, then medicate the mentally ill, so that (hopefully) they could become taxpayers. The trouble with that tactic? The cost to taxpayers is astronomical. They keep breeding. Many, MANY mental illnesses may be passed on to our children. We're now supporting multiple generations of mentally ill...because they keep breeding.

Again...the government's going to collect that friggin information....and DO what? Use it to force paremts to give up everything...work more jobs, in order to take their kid to an approved counsellor? Are they going to force parents to medicate their children....because some medical professional thinks that "active Johnny" needs medication.....NOT recess. You do realize, don't you...that this could be a disaster? ...will most likely end up really, really badly?

Old 02-07-2014, 06:40 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
my opinion on this is if the state deems the kids need it they should pay for it not your insurance and yes this will do nothing except end up really badly and yeah when did we become the USSR instead of the USA ? when we started voting dummys aka meatheads into public office instead of someone with a brain .I agree I dont trust our government for anything and refuse to take anything from them .Yes another reason to send your kids to private school and get out of the hell hole called public school .

Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
my opinion on this is if the state deems the kids need it they should pay for it not your insurance and yes this will do nothing except end up really badly and yeah when did we become the USSR instead of the USA ? when we started voting dummys aka meatheads into public office instead of someone with a brain .I agree I dont trust our government for anything and refuse to take anything from them .Yes another reason to send your kids to private school and get out of the hell hole called public school .
Exactly!

Old 02-07-2014, 10:22 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
when did we become the USSR instead of the USA ?
The bill hasn't passed. Yet.

But the parallels are eerie. The old Soviet Union used "psychiatry" to control dissidents, and this bill proposes using psychiatry to pre-emptively crush nascent dissidents while they are still children. I think that's more cynical than what the Soviets did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education