Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:19 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm fine with a party like the above, though the room mother should take note of the allergies. Cupcakes are very messy, and lots of younger kids don't eat the whole thing anyway. Not that I don't like them, mind you.
I'm fine with it too. I just think that if they are going to do certain things with health and allergies in mind, they should have the forethought to think about everyone's allergies and not just the obvious ones and not just assume, "fruit and veggies are the perfect alternative" because sadly, it's not that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 04:01 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I respectfully disagree and hope it is a trend to ban all sugar products from schools. Im sure these teachers would be up happy with kids not so disruptive they can get on candy .
There are many recent studies that have disproved the idea that sugar makes children hyper. If you Google it, you can find many sites with information about it. Here's just one:

Kids Eat Right - Sugar: Does it Really Cause Hyperactivity?

The main problem with sugar is empty calories and tooth decay. But an occasional treat on a holiday shouldn't be any cause for concern.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:04 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Your body does NOT require the kind of sugar found in a bag of Skittles. You apparently missed the day in 8th grade health class when we learned that there are different kinds of sugars, some of which the body needs and some pf which it does not? I don't disagree that a bit of Valentine's Day candy won't kill a kid, but the idea that sugar from candy is good for us and we need it really makes me chuckle.
Sorry, but a sugar is a sugar is a sugar.

Good Sugars, Bad Sugars | alive

Quote:
White sugar, "brown sugar" and molasses do not differ in health value, only in taste. They all come from the same source, either sugar cane or sugar beet. The two types are used pretty much interchangeably.
Eating too much sugar is bad, but your body does need sugar for fuel and we are genetically programmed to want sugar.

Is sugar really that bad for you? - CNN.com

Quote:
"We actually need sugar; it's our body's preferred fuel," says Dr. David Katz, director of the Yale University Prevention Research Center. "But we eat too damn much of it."

Naturally occurring sugar -- which gives fruit, some veggies, and milk their sweet taste — is perfectly healthy. It's added sugar (sweeteners put in during processing and prep) that we need to not OD on.

No need to cut out dessert: The key is to eat strategically.

Happily, some major companies are getting on board. In the past four years, cereal brands have cut back on sugar, the milk industry recently lowered amounts in the chocolate milk served in schools, and Walmart is aiming for 10% less added sugar in select foods by 2015.
Fruit sugars are better only because fruits contain *less* sugar naturally, but a little bit of candy or cake or other sugary foods is not bad, it's just the overdosing we do on them.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
There are many recent studies that have disproved the idea that sugar makes children hyper. If you Google it, you can find many sites with information about it. Here's just one:

Kids Eat Right - Sugar: Does it Really Cause Hyperactivity?

The main problem with sugar is empty calories and tooth decay. But an occasional treat on a holiday shouldn't be any cause for concern.

But this occasional treat is way to much sugar for a kid as a kid can rack up a ton of sugar for one day.
From the cupcakes, the non vegan friendly lollipops or chalk tasting converstation hearts, to the candies made with nuts. A kid could rack up 25 pieces of candy way over any healthy amount if there is such a thing with manufactured sugar.

I dont need to look it up as I know how my nephews and nieces act off a sugar high.
You are correct on tooth decay that alone but this principal made the correct decision in turning the day into an academic session however the holiday was originally religious.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
But this occasional treat is way to much sugar for a kid as a kid can rack up a ton of sugar for one day.
From the cupcakes, the non vegan friendly lollipops or chalk tasting converstation hearts, to the candies made with nuts. A kid could rack up 25 pieces of candy way over any healthy amount if there is such a thing with manufactured sugar.

I dont need to look it up as I know how my nephews and nieces act off a sugar high.
You are correct on tooth decay that alone but this principal made the correct decision in turning the day into an academic session however the holiday was originally religious.
"Sugar high" is an urban legend.

NIMH · Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

**Sugar. The idea that refined sugar causes ADHD or makes symptoms worse is popular, but more research discounts this theory than supports it.12**

Old 02-13-2014, 04:33 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
My kids go bonkers when they have candy that has food dye in it but they seem fine with the non food dye variety. I think it's the dye that makes kids go crazy but it's often assumed to be the sugar.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:12 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,589,690 times
Yeah we all know one day out of the year is a major health concern for children. How about leaving it up to the parents??? Have the children bring home a paper to sign that asks if you want your child to have any V Day candy? lnstead of having a certain group of adults ruin a fun thing for the children.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:07 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
One day a year? What about Christmas, Easter, Birthdays, etc. There is ALWAYS a "special occasion". I have no problem with a school saying NO to outside treats for everyone. It's always disruptive and not every school wants to deal with pushy parents who think their "special occasion" is more special than other special occasions..

Quote:

Yeah we all know one day out of the year is a major health concern for
children. How about leaving it up to the parents??? Have the children bring
home a paper to sign that asks if you want your child to have any V Day candy?
lnstead of having a certain group of adults ruin a fun thing for the
children.
So you basically want an entire PROCESS that will take time energy and money to deal with candy? Yeah, I know people like you and you should never be in a position to make decisions on your own.

It's already up to the parents...they can stuff their kids full of candy before 8am and after 3pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education