Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:18 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,117 times

Advertisements

Saw this article this morning:

Kentucky Senate passes bill to let computer programming satisfy foreign-language requirement | The Courier-Journal | courier-journal.com

Don't know if this was discussed already. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 08:26 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
I speak FORTRAN -- it's sort of like Latin . . .

Old 02-11-2014, 08:46 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Fantastic. A lot more useful than the two semesters of French that the student will completely forget by graduation anyway.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:21 PM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I speak FORTRAN -- it's sort of like Latin . . .
LOL I also speak FORTRAN and a number of other "dead languages" including Pascal, COBOL, and DIBOL.

I think this Kentucky thing is crazy and I hope it doesn't catch on.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:26 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Experience studying foreign languages definitely helps people program computers. I don't think the reverse is true, though. And I don't think programming should substitute for foreign language study.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:03 AM

144 posts, read 264,189 times
But really, what's the point of a rural Kentucky kid learning French? As long as you have access to a computer, programming at least offers the option of using the language immediately; anywhere, anytime.
You don't have to go across the border to use it, which means you're less likely to "lose it."

Don't get me wrong, learning a foreign language can be a fascinating adventure, but I've learned more from my own self-motivated pursuits than signing up for the obligatory, regurgitated "¡Hola! ¿Cómo estás?" required doctrine. So, no, programming shouldn't substitute studying a foreign language, but at least the option is available for some.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:27 AM

129 posts, read 154,222 times
In all honesty, I think learning a computer programming language is good, since more and more we utilize technology, which is all dependent of computer language. This offers a substantial amount of jobs. However I do not think it should be classified as a foreign language. As well as I think it is good America uses a European model when it comes to languages. Schools there teach several different languages based on what country languages are around them. America should be learning English (obvious), Spanish for our neighboring countries south of us, and French for our French Canadian neighbors.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:36 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
I wish they would drop all foreign language requirements, and change it to philology type classes; much better in my opinion, and makes room for those who are truly interested in learning a language. The worse thing in language classes were those who were forced to be there, took away from those who really wanted to learn a different language.

I also think it is more beneficial and easier to retain for people to have an overall view of global languages, than concentrate on a specific language in which the only thing retained is "hello" and "what time is it?"

Old 02-13-2014, 02:09 PM

90 posts, read 94,154 times
Fortunately I studied a worthwhile language (German) or this would anger me.

Syntax errors are very much like grammatical errors.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:22 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
On the one hand it's cool to promote programming, but to basically equate the concept of a computer language (and this is a nebulous concept to begin with) to a spoken language is kind of weird. And in all honesty, it makes no sense. That's not even like comparing apples to oranges. It's like comparing apples to chimpanzees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education