Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:07 PM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I think the problem with grammar on sites like this is that people tend to write as they would talk in casual conversation. When I speak, there, their and they're all sound the same. The context indicates which I meant. I think people just pick one when typing on a BB. They also seem to use slang terms that they would never type in a paper they were submitting for a grade.

I don't think it means anything other than they give as much regard to posting here as they would casual conversation sitting on a park bench. The grammar police don't tend to critique our speach in casual conversation the way they do posting on a BB.

Or our spelling. I'M TEASING YOU!!!

There are a couple folks posts who give me a headache with their spelling. Not just one wird (see) but multiple words in a row.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 01:13 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
Oh, oh, oh! I thought of another one: twenty-somethings who post in text speak. I'm grinding my teeth just thinking about it.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:18 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Or our spelling. I'M TEASING YOU!!!

There are a couple folks posts who give me a headache with their spelling. Not just one wird (see) but multiple words in a row.
I agree. I think as much about spelling when I post as I would in casual conversation. I always get speech wrong. I think of speaking. If God wanted me to memorize the spelling of every word, he wouldn't have invented spell checkers....which I could really use here,

There are certain words that I just spell the way they sound. Word picks it up and auto corrects them but I think that just leads to more laziness on my part, lol. I think that auto correct feature just reinforces spelling certain words wrong because I never have to correct them.

Spelling, as a matter of fact, anything that requires memorization, is not my strong point. I mean WHY is speech spelled with two E's when speak is spelled with an E and an A? Who thought up this stuff?

In a strange turn of events, I have a daughter who is an exceptional speller. Apparently, she made it to representing her school in the state spelling competition but didn't tell us because she didn't want to go. She figured if we didn't know, we wouldn't drive her there. It worked. The school was a bit miffed though because she didn't tell anyone she wasn't going.

She must get her memory from her dad...but he can't seem to remember our anniversary so it can't be him. She doesn't get it from me. But she can memorize music like my grandfather could. Maybe that's where it comes from. Those genes skipped me. Sometimes I think I developed logical reasoning to make up for lack of ability to memorize. Arithematic nearly ruled me out of all future math but calculus was fun. I never did memorize my multiplication tables. And my 4th grade teacher swore I wouldn't amount to anything if I didn't

Old 07-15-2009, 01:34 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
A gift for language seems to awarded randomly in some families. I have an excellent memory for spelling and grammar, but my daughter struggles mightily. I think it may have something to do with aural processing. She doesn't seem to hear syllables. I was pulling my hair out trying to understand why she dropped vowels, even though I told her over and over again that each syllable must have one. It finally dawned on me that she couldn't apply the rule because she simply didn't hear the syllables, even when we practiced clapping them out. Her spelling improved greatly when I required that she write them out for practice using the syllabic method.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:20 PM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Oh, oh, oh! I thought of another one: twenty-somethings who post in text speak. I'm grinding my teeth just thinking about it.

Whtevr du u mn?

Old 07-15-2009, 03:14 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,315,618 times
I make a lot of mistakes that drive me crazy. But what usually gets me is when it is obviously not a typo, when the mistake happens over and over, like a "subject matter expert" who continues to spell yield, "yeild."

Old 07-15-2009, 06:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Two of my pet peeves:

First, people who use the word "literally" to mean it exact opposite. "My mom was so mad she literally had a cow." Well no she didn't, unless you expect me to believe that you now have a bovine sibling.
I think half the time when people do this, they're not even misunderstanding the definition of "literally" and actively using it to mean the exact opposite. I suspect they're not even really thinking about the definition at all, but are just throwing the word in there as filler, without even considering the actual meaning. They've just heard people use "literally" so often, they just throw it in willy-nilly for effect, with no thought as to the definition.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:41 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,234,786 times
I am not the best at grammar, which I will admit. However, there is one poster in this forum that has such terrible grammar, he is annoying everyone with it. Here is an example. For God sakes, my 5 years old niece can write better than this....

"I thnik tasht you simply need to look at one thign like fi you have a cellphne skip one meal pout and satrt tehre. Saving is a habit juts as spoending isd. Once you get tot eh poit where you see the advanatge in such areas as being less stressed;feeling more in control of your life it is as addicting as anything else really.its like the feeling you get when having done smething really good verus the monetary thrill you get when buying something ."

Old 07-19-2009, 06:19 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,709,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am not the best at grammar, which I will admit. However, there is one poster in this forum that has such terrible grammar, he is annoying everyone with it. Here is an example. For God sakes, my 5 years old niece can write better than this....

"I thnik tasht you simply need to look at one thign like fi you have a cellphne skip one meal pout and satrt tehre. Saving is a habit juts as spoending isd. Once you get tot eh poit where you see the advanatge in such areas as being less stressed;feeling more in control of your life it is as addicting as anything else really.its like the feeling you get when having done smething really good verus the monetary thrill you get when buying something ."
I think whoever wrote that is most likely dyslexic. My son writes like that if I don't stay on him. Notice that the words are spelled either phonetically or almost correctly.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:39 AM
nem

14 posts, read 45,544 times
Part of speech question:

Would you please help me how to better interpret "thump" in the sentence below - is it a Noun?

- And Alexander snatched his arm away, bent down quick as lightning, and thump! Hit him on the head with a brick or something. -

Or could it be rather an imitative interjection (haven't found though "Thump" as a one registered in dictionaries).

Many thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education