Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:02 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
So you are saying that something inside the sun is what we are all technically revolving around? Kind of like if I were to pick up one of my kids and spin them around. Technically it can be said that they are revolving around my heart. It makes no differance what is in the center of the sun just as it would make no differance that one of my kids are revolving around my heart.
If you want to ignore the basics of physics go ahead. You are not correct.

The location of the barycenter is a function of distance and mass, and it is not at the center of mass for the sun. If your child is large enough the barycenter would be between your bodies. And even if they are small it certainly wont be your heart which is the center of mass of your body in the plane of revolution.

The details matter and the FACT that the earth does not actually revolve around the sun, but rather that both revolve around their barycenter is why seasons are what they are in the northern and southern hemispheres and why the effect of declination are not identical in each, why clocks don't actually match sundials, effects on why and when Milankovich cycles occur and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 01:06 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What difference does it make if the public can answer science trivia questions or not?
But isn't there a plan to include biology under the Common Core Standards, which means that high school students will theoretically have to pass a biology test to graduate? What difference does if make if the public can explain what the Krebs Cycle is?

Old 02-20-2014, 01:11 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
But isn't there a plan to include biology under the Common Core Standards, which means that high school students will theoretically have to pass a biology test to graduate? What difference does if make if the public can explain what the Krebs Cycle is?
All three of the major sciences are in the common core now. Not sure why that matters.

This poll doesn't measure knowledge of biology students, it is measuring RETENTION of adults X number of years later. Information is "use it of loss it". Or are you actually claiming you remember everything you learned in school?

Old 02-20-2014, 01:14 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
All three of the major sciences are in the common core now. Not sure why that matters.

This poll doesn't measure knowledge of biology students, it is measuring RETENTION of adults X number of years later. Information is "use it of loss it". Or are you actually claiming you remember everything you learned in school?
How can anyone not remember such a basic finding that the earth orbits the sun?

Old 02-20-2014, 01:25 PM

914 posts, read 942,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Not to be cynical, but you could have looked these up on the internet. We'll give you the benefit of the doubt. (I had no clue about Dihydrogen monoxide, but would have got the others). Jupiter being the largest planet and the sun being a star is something we all should know too.

Good job!
Yes, I could have looked them up. I didn't.
You are gracious to give me the benefit of the doubt on this point.

I WAS a child prodigy...I have an IQ of 160.

Of course, as with many who have a high IQ...I have a fairly low EQ (emotional quotient)

Still, though...I explained the function of hemoglobin...and the fact that it is NOT a red-pigment. That it gets it's red color only through interaction with oxygen. Which, I suppose...might also have been looked up on the Internet.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
If you want to ignore the basics of physics go ahead. You are not correct.

The location of the barycenter is a function of distance and mass, and it is not at the center of mass for the sun. If your child is large enough the barycenter would be between your bodies. And even if they are small it certainly wont be your heart which is the center of mass of your body in the plane of revolution.
Precisely. In fact, for those who know something of this...
This is the VERY REASON Pluto was demoted from being a real planet to a dwarf planet. It was correctly determined that Pluto, and it's largest satellite, Charon...in fact orbit each other...the barycenter of gravitation between the two bodies is actually between Charon and Pluto...and not on Pluto. This was cited as the reason for demoting Pluto's status.

Incidentally, the barycenter of the moon and the Earth...is still located within the Earth (although the moon does not orbit the actual core of the Earth)....hence Earth is a real planet...with a moon...whereas Pluto is actually considered to be a dwarf double planet, Pluto/Charon. Also, Pluto is classed now as a KBO - Keiper Belt Object.

Now, I am just stubborn enough to refuse to accept this, and I still consider Pluto to be a planet...because, dammit, I grew up with nine planets, and I am just stubborn enough to cling to that...even though I know that scientifically, I am wrong.

In the same way I refuse to call The Sears Tower "Willis Tower" now. Screw that, it was always "Sears Tower" when I was growing up in Chicago, and "Sears Tower" it will always be to me. Similarly, I refuse to call the White Sox park "U.S. Cellular Field" or "The Cell" as it is referred to...it will ALWAYS be "Comiskey Park" to me.

Charles Comiskey....and Clyde Tombaugh are turning over in their graves!!

Old 02-20-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
How can anyone not remember such a basic finding that the earth orbits the sun?
No kidding!

Copernicus, too, would be turning over in his grave!!

He risked being burned at the stake to bring us this knowledge!

Old 02-20-2014, 01:35 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Considering that the LESS intelligent people are, the MORE they breed--are we really surprised that the population is becoming more and more stupid?

Old 02-20-2014, 01:38 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,644,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Considering that the LESS intelligent people are, the MORE they breed--are we really surprised that the population is becoming more and more stupid?
Please cite your source.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:53 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:

The Common Core State Standards have the goal of providing a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn. The goal according to the Common Core Mission Statement is, "The standards are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers." If all three of the major sciences are now in the Common Core, this will be a drastic change from the level of scientific learning that most students gained in high school before these standards. A basic question like the earth revolving around the sun will most likely be covered in both elementary and middle school.

If information is use it or lose it, then what is the point of requiring all students to pass end of course exams for math and science courses on information that many will never use again. I think a question like the earth rotating around the sun is basic knowledge that all students should have learned and retained. A question about the Krebs Cycle is not something everyone should have learned or retained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education