U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 07:50 PM

7,525 posts, read 8,152,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Question from Pearson's FIRST grade math book, designed to be aligned with the core content.

How is this remotely developmentally appropriate? To answer it, a person must be capable of abstract reasoning, something a lot of middle school students can't even do.
Not to mention adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 05:21 PM

5,747 posts, read 3,758,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgirl80 View Post
OH I HATE PEARSON! It's not really the common core that is the problem but the writers of that companies text, workbooks and teaching guides. It's horrible and it only gets worse with the higher grade levels. In a 5th graders math book, they tell the student that 20 people can fit on a school bus and then ask how many buses are needed if there are 25 students and 2 teachers going on a trip. The answer key said 1.5 and the teacher that was correcting the paper marked every student that said 2 wrong. I could understand if they were working on decimals but this was not the case. It made me so angry after hearing the 10 year olds trying to rationalize the one and a half bus, even they knew that did not make sense.
I've been subbing in a district using CC and after 30 plus years of teaching and a Master's Degree in Education it is downright embarrassing to have to ask a fellow teacher to explain why the Teacher's Edition gives this absolutely crazy answer to a K, 1st or 2nd grade math problem. Sometimes the "reasoning" is (to me) so "off the wall" that I tell the children just to skip that one and to do it with their regular teacher the next day.

I would have been asking the teacher next door "How do I possibly explain to the students that they need one and a half buses and not two buses?"

Old 03-09-2014, 10:24 PM

17,005 posts, read 14,347,066 times
None of them ever took a child development class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education