Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 12:27 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Big deal. In an upstate NY school the teachers shoot heroin. At least the beer-drinking teacher had the decency to resign, albeit while denying the accusation.

LOL, as if they're not doing that, and worse, at downstate NY schools.
ROTFMAO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 12:53 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Totally unacceptable.

Mind you, I have very fond memories of my favorite teacher, Mr Hay, who used to read to us on summer afternoons with his feet on his desk and a cigarette in his hand.

Those were the days!

I loved that guy.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:08 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Those kids must be hell to drive the poor man to drink
OR the "poor man" has a serious drinking problem.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:25 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:

No worse than taking a valium when I did sub teaching

Old 02-24-2014, 06:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
It was a woman.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:20 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
I think the wise thing to do is overreact, declare that drinking on the job only happens with teachers and then mangle the statistics in an effort to declare it an epidemic.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:55 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Young people experiment with alcohol in part because the authoritarian mentality turns it into a "forbidden fruit".

Nearly fifty years ago, when I was growing up in a blue-collar community with a substantial "white ethnic" population, many of my classmates had their first experience with beer or wine at home -- to demonstrate both that it could impair your judgement, and that it didn't taste all that good to a lot of us. But we also got flyers (provided by the Pennsylvania Sunday School Association) lambasting the Demon Rum and threatening all kinds of catastrophe,

The people who'd been introduced to the substance at home didn't seem to have much trouble; it was those who were too strictly protected (myself among them; I narrowly missed a drunken-driving conviction at the supposedly-responsible age of 23) wh often ran into trouble a few years down the road.

One wonders how the teacher in question could not have anticipated the presence of a few hard-shell prohibitionists in just about any community; but the desire for structure, authority and power lies at the root of so many of the excesses which polarize our nation.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:12 AM

358 posts, read 512,376 times
Drinking on the job is immediate termination in any place I've ever worked.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:34 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Young people experiment with alcohol in part because the authoritarian mentality turns it into a "forbidden fruit".

Nearly fifty years ago, when I was growing up in a blue-collar community with a substantial "white ethnic" population, many of my classmates had their first experience with beer or wine at home -- to demonstrate both that it could impair your judgement, and that it didn't taste all that good to a lot of us. But we also got flyers (provided by the Pennsylvania Sunday School Association) lambasting the Demon Rum and threatening all kinds of catastrophe,

The people who'd been introduced to the substance at home didn't seem to have much trouble; it was those who were too strictly protected (myself among them; I narrowly missed a drunken-driving conviction at the supposedly-responsible age of 23) wh often ran into trouble a few years down the road.

One wonders how the teacher in question could not have anticipated the presence of a few hard-shell prohibitionists in just about any community; but the desire for structure, authority and power lies at the root of so many of the excesses which polarize our nation.
I see your point.... in our family it was not the case (at least for my brothers and I). We grew up in a dry county in Kentucky and my parents didnt drink -- I never saw anyone actually drink in person til college. But I had no desire to try it as it was forced into my head it was evil and to be avoided.

But to get back on topic...hard to believe he thought this was a good idea or he wouldnt get caught. Obviously he has some issues so hopefully he gets some help.

Dan

Last edited by Kamsack; 02-25-2014 at 06:01 AM..

Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,254 times
Of course big problem...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education