Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 11:57 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

A Georgia school bus driver has sued the school district that fired him for his critical social media comments after a hungry child was refused free lunch last year.

Johnny Cook said he wrote the Facebook post in frustration last May, reported WXIA-TV, when a sixth-grader told him after school that he hadn’t eaten that day because his school lunch account was short.

School bus driver says he lost job for speaking up for boy denied lunch over 40-cent debt | The Raw Story
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Did you ever notice the biggest grabbers of personal liberty are universities and schools?

Old 03-03-2014, 12:33 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
This will be an interesting first amendment case. He was slamming his employer in a very public way. No private company would put up with that.

All schools should have an emergency lunch policy. But most allow kids to carry a balance for a while, so if it never gets paid down who is at fault here?

Old 03-03-2014, 12:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Most schools have a brown bag for kids with no lunch and no money.

I've seen some really stupid actions occur because of politics and policies.
A few times I just handled it myself.

No kid should EVER go hungry at lunch for whatever reason.
There's plenty enough free food thrown in the trash to make up for feeding that hungry student.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:53 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Did you ever notice the biggest grabbers of personal liberty are universities and schools?
It's like that at almost every business. The people who have the power to fire people tend to go on power trips over the slightest infractions.

The people of that county/city should conduct an investigation to find out how much money the school administrators are making and whether they can be fired and have their pensions revoked. I bet they are severely overpaid and underworked.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:24 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This will be an interesting first amendment case. He was slamming his employer in a very public way. No private company would put up with that.

All schools should have an emergency lunch policy. But most allow kids to carry a balance for a while, so if it never gets paid down who is at fault here?
Private companies would also get rid of terrible employees instead of giving them tenure.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 AM

501 posts, read 932,637 times
I do not have an issue with a school denying lunch over a $0.40 debt. All parents - no matter how poor - can pay off a $0.40 debt if they so choose. It's a question of responsibility, and schools teach that.

On high school band trip, we had one particular student who had zero money sense period. (I was a student too.) She was a junior, and had a habit of spending her money on useless things and then running out. I was in the gift shop with her and she bought lots of trinkets. Before checking out, I clearly said you'll run out of money for food if you buy all that stuff, you might not want to. She said she knew, but that was ok.

Fast forward two days later, she is out of money and the group is scheduled to go to a nice restaurant. Since she spent all of her food money on trinkets earlier in the trip, she is now mad that we aren't going to McDonals and she wants the chaperones to pay for her meals because she doesn't have any money.

They refused, and she learned a tough lesson in life. Going hungry wasn't fun for her, but it didn't hurt her at all other than she was uncomfortable.

I guarantee you this kid that was moaning about how he was hungry due to his lunch debt will figure out how to bring $0.40 cents to school to pay it off.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:06 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
I do not have an issue with a school denying lunch over a $0.40 debt. All parents - no matter how poor - can pay off a $0.40 debt if they so choose. It's a question of responsibility, and schools teach that.

I guarantee you this kid that was moaning about how he was hungry due to his lunch debt will figure out how to bring $0.40 cents to school to pay it off.
Do you really expect little kids to deal with money matters?

Old 03-17-2014, 05:49 AM

501 posts, read 932,637 times
Sixth graders are plenty old enough to know how to handle money.

Frankly, maybe 1st graders would struggle. Perhaps 2nd grade too. But everyone 3rd grade and only can safely handle small amounts of money if necessary. If their parents are irresponsible, it's even more important for them to learn it from the school because they won't be learning it at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education