Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you know your IQ ?
yes 213 59.00%
No 137 37.95%
I won't tell you, I don't have to 11 3.05%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 11:07 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,109,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
How does estimated IQ score work? Newton's IQ was ___. Einstein's IQ was ___. Is Terrance Tao tested or estimated at 240?

As a self employed plumber, I value common sense math skill over an IQ score. My "estimated IQ" is 125.
Stanford Binet and Wechsler only got to about 165-170. You can estimate above that. My nephew went to the top of the scale on a Wechsler and estimated at above 180. He was a pain in school; he knew more than everyone of his teachers.

There are some specialized tests that Mensa uses that "claim" to go higher. However, any score above 140 or so is high enough to do anything that you might like to do---even nuclear physicist. If you want to be a theoretical physicist, you might need 155, but even so, its hard to tell what you'd get with the extra horsepower.

A 125 can match a 145, any day, but has to push harder. It means that at the kind of effort required, the 145 can coast along all day, but the 125 will be really tired after a few hours. And if the 145 wants to push hard to 160 levels he could, but at that level the 125 would be left in the dust.

Before No Child Left Behind dumbed them down, most gifted education programs required at least a 130 !IQ on a SB or WISC. After NCLB, all you has to do was show that you were special in some way, and so you had gift athletes in the gifted program, completely dumbing down the high level of intellectual process that the programs originally were designed for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 775 times
8 out of 10 ,but i really don't recall in my mind what test it was.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:12 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,324,404 times
I don't know and don't really care. I am just thankful that I am logical and have a lot of common sense. Common sense and high intelligence sadly do not go hand in hand.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:53 PM

8,070 posts, read 6,939,548 times
No I don't know my IQ but I suspect is not very high LOL at least not as high as I thought 20 years ago. I think I was a good test taker and had a good ability to memorize some information but other than that... I'm not that great with abstract information. Please no advanced math or truth tables.

Someone should have told me back then I was hotter than smarter but no one warned me.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 06-06-2016 at 10:16 PM..

Old 06-06-2016, 10:04 PM

8,070 posts, read 6,939,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Most people with a HIGH IQ are not going to spend time on a Internet forum.

EDIT: A person with above level IQ will not spend time on useless trivia as seen here many times.....as for me I'm on the admitted lower scale even with a degree.
I might be the only person who agrees with you but I have also admitted I'm not the smartest tool in the shed.

Why would a smart person post here for free when they can get paid for writing content?

Seriously when I see people with thousands of posts claiming they are as smart as Einstein or Nikola Tesla I say: hmmm no. Sowy.

The forums in this website are not even that intellectual, especially the ones I use. Bua ha haha

Maybe I should posting in this forum

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 06-06-2016 at 10:29 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 03:09 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,348,420 times
Iirc, 131.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:55 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,541,763 times
My daughter gave me the test for practice, but since she was not a certified IQ tester, she cold not tell me the score. She just said "You do not need to worry about it, you are fine" Since one of my brothers is a certified Mensa genius and the other one was tested as the highest IQ in the state in middle school (or something like that, I was pretty young and did not really understand it, but there was a lot of hype about his test score. In the end, they did nothing for him. My parents did not have money for special schools and he has ADD extreme, anxiety disorder extreme, and tourettes, so he never did well in school). So I will take her comment as a positive thing - perhaps I am half as smart as my brothers rather than "no you are not quite drooling"

Old 06-10-2016, 10:04 AM

138 posts, read 111,523 times
LOL at all the delusional liars on city-data. So many 130+ IQ scores self-reported here (which is nearly 99th percentile of all people) and we have a ridiculous number of people claiming 145+ (99.9th percentile).

Basically anyone scoring 140+ could EASILY be some kind of engineer, physicist, quant PhD, mathematician, etc. (while having effortlessly obtained grades/test scores to attend some of the best universities in the country), but apparently all these people have great excuses about how they are super smart but simply too lazy/unmotivated. hahahaha

Last edited by EffortPoaster; 06-10-2016 at 10:16 AM..

Old 06-10-2016, 03:11 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,807,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffortPoaster View Post
...Basically anyone scoring 140+ could EASILY be some kind of engineer, physicist, quant PhD, mathematician, etc...
...and who says we aren't?

Old 06-11-2016, 02:31 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,348,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffortPoaster View Post
LOL at all the delusional liars on city-data. So many 130+ IQ scores self-reported here (which is nearly 99th percentile of all people) and we have a ridiculous number of people claiming 145+ (99.9th percentile).
Well, my 131 is two decades old from testing when I was in grade school, so...

Quote:
Basically anyone scoring 140+ could EASILY be some kind of engineer, physicist, quant PhD, mathematician, etc. (while having effortlessly obtained grades/test scores to attend some of the best universities in the country), but apparently all these people have great excuses about how they are super smart but simply too lazy/unmotivated. hahahaha
I actually wasn't terribly motivated in high school. I lacked motivation and didn't have "plans" for my future. It took me years after high school to figure out my "calling," and here I am still figuring it out in my early 30s in grad school. STEM fields fascinate me in many ways, but I was never naturally inclined toward them. Perhaps if I was "groomed" for them, maybe? I was really into science and math in grade school, less so in high school.

My exH has an IQ in the 140s, and he could absolutely excel in just about any STEM field. He truly is a genius, though the classic socially awkward and nerdy type. (band geek with one friend throughout school years) He worked in the intelligence field in the military and was a top scorer on the DLAB, and was top candidate for counter intel work. He was offered a slot at a VA Governor's school.

And my now-husband was also tested during grade school and was in GATE. His IQ is in the 130s. He was an engineering major, but had no desire to be an engineer. He's perfectly happy in his profession, completely unrelated to STEM. And if he could make decent money writing and illustrating comics, he would.

I know, slackers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education