Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 02:14 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times

Advertisements

1. Take your child out of school
2. Read only this forum http://www.city-data.com/forum/self-...-preparedness/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 08:58 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Take your child out of school
2. Read only this forum http://www.city-data.com/forum/self-...-preparedness/
1. I wish I could. I still need to work - so can't. Maybe in a few years but my oldest will approach middle school by then. Hopefully he won't be completely public school-messed up by that time. I am trying really hard to supplement or correct at home, as needed, but with a career in parallel it is a monstrous undertaking.

2. Most of the posts on these Boards explain why some people end up focused exclusively on the one you indicated. Humanity can be veeery disappointing ...

Old 04-26-2014, 01:35 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Asking those who also agree: given the situation, what should a caring parent do?
Election Day - Do some research and support the politicians who vow to get rid of it and have the clout to do it.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:21 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
1. I wish I could. I still need to work - so can't. Maybe in a few years but my oldest will approach middle school by then. Hopefully he won't be completely public school-messed up by that time. I am trying really hard to supplement or correct at home, as needed, but with a career in parallel it is a monstrous undertaking.

2. Most of the posts on these Boards explain why some people end up focused exclusively on the one you indicated. Humanity can be veeery disappointing ...
Just a suggestion, but perhaps you could join a homeschoolers group that has some sort of co-op. There is a lot of flexibility in homeschooling, which gives you a lot of options.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:57 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
There is an emerging underground cottage industry. Math teachers are teaching math at evening and weekend classes. They are paid for this tutoring. Their students will be far ahead of Common Core afflicted students.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:43 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There is an emerging underground cottage industry. Math teachers are teaching math at evening and weekend classes. They are paid for this tutoring.Their students will be far ahead of Common Core afflicted students.
Most complaints boil down to "common core is too hard."

Yer all a bunch of whiners wrapping up yer kids in cotton! They'll fall apart facing any challenge in the real world if you carry on like that 'round em.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:01 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,788,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The entire point of this discussion is whether or not the passages in question are suitable for a high school classroom. That discussion can be had without reading the entire book. Reading the entire book will not change that those passages are there and are unacceptable. They do not go away because I read the rest of the book. NOTHING makes the passages I read suitable material for a high school classroom. Therefore there is no point in reading the rest of the book WRT this conversation. Personally, I don't like reading smut so I'm not going to read it. Fortunately, I don't need to in order to have a conversation on whether or not it's suitable for the classroom because all I have to read are the passages that place the book in question.

Agree. And these are minor children we are talking about, even if they are in High School. PARENTS do have a right to oppose the use of this type of book as instructional material.

I'm sure there are better and more appropriate choices.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:03 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,788,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I'm amazed that people still don't understand this. No school is forced to pick any particular book for its curriculum. The CC reading lists are suggested. But they are NOT mandated.

Definiitely true. However, I've seen the school district administrators and teachers blame Common Core for everything, including THEIR choices on how to implement curriculum on a local basis. Such as, in the case of ELA here, filling out endless charts when reading novels, creating hours of homework. THAT is a local decision but the teacher and ELA supervisor say it's "Common Core". Common Core is being used as a scapegoat for everything right now. The main issue with common core is that it drives everything public schools do into a 10-month test-prep craze.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:40 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
It is my understanding the US has repeatedly fell behind in education internationally. From what I see, parents complain their children are getting too much homework, required reading, projects, work is too hard, etc. and their children don't have time with all their outside activities. If the parents would realize they are doing their children an injustice by giving into their whining and complaining, the children would be better educated and less likely to turn into adults who never get ahead in life because they are still complaining, now about their jobs and how life isn't fair.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:15 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Default If COMMON CORE is terrible, what should a parent do?

This professor has facts that can be separately verified for those who seriously want to understand what is going on with Common Core. It is a very long video . . . so I suspect very few will watch it all the way through unless you have genuine concerns about what is happening in public schools. He spends a lot of time explaining the genesis of Common Core and the strategies and tactics the Government and private corporate sponsors engaged in to bribe and coerce the Common Core into school systems. Only four states refused to be bribed and coerced. The sociological engineering behind the movement is exposed and readily verified. If I still had children in school I would be outraged at what is happening and what is projected to happen. For those of you who have a strong interest here is the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si-kx5-MKSE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education