Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 10:32 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,735,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Tracking devices on school ID's is a creepy idea. What purpose would they serve? I think it's a horrible idea.

Exact same purpose they serve at workplaces, security so that only students can go in and out of school doors and only at certain times.
These are not some sort of satellite tag; they are door swipes. (Cell phones on the other hand... They can track students far more extensively than any school ID every could).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 10:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Exact same purpose they serve at workplaces, security so that only students can go in and out of school doors and only at certain times.
These are not some sort of satellite tag; they are door swipes. (Cell phones on the other hand... They can track students far more extensively than any school ID every could).
But, school ids are not always on the student's person. They can easily be given to a friend, lost or stolen.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:33 PM

10,218 posts, read 19,094,071 times
We should track the IDs and the students phones. The smart ones will learn about aluminum foil and burner phones, the dumb ones can go to reform school.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:17 PM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
I really don't care, but I know an added expense when I see it.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:19 AM

7,934 posts, read 7,276,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Should tracking devices become mandatory for all students or is it a step to far?
It is a step toward teaching the children that all choices will be made for them ahead of time.

If you are in class, it's not because you are following the rules because you've judged the consequences of cutting, it's because the goons will come and get you if you cut.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:35 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,735,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
But, school ids are not always on the student's person. They can easily be given to a friend, lost or stolen.
Exact same issue with work IDs. (At schools here, students are required to have their photo IDs on them and visible at all times. This is not common practice elsewhere?)

Old 04-23-2014, 10:53 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,891,034 times
I don't see this as the same issue as a work ID at all. I actually don't have that sort of card that you speak of but I'm sure something like that will be coming soon.

I as an adult can make that choice to work in such an environment where I am tracked. The kid has no choice.

As far as the added expense that is the great point. As a taxpayer and a parent I'd rather see that money go to an actual teacher than in the pockets of some technology company.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:53 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,898,346 times
My Son's HighSchool ID has a RFID Chip in it, He suppose to have it with him, They use it in the library and to access there lunch account.

If he is "late" to school, when he check-in late, he Tap's the reader in the attendance office it brings up the Check-in screen for the Attendance office worker, she then enters the reason why, and it prints out the Pass. Also used to check out Early same way.

There are No door reader for students, School Staff ID's will work on doors that have reader to open them, there are no hallway proximity readers.

There was talk of putting in readers on the buses, and at the entrances to the school buildings to do the attendance but the cost was very high, for very little results of "automated" attendance.

He has/had a MiddleSchool ID, It also has RFID Chip, but was only used in the library, Cafe they entered there StudentID number (also can enter StudentID number in HS also).

Old 04-23-2014, 12:42 PM

6,082 posts, read 6,003,427 times
Should schools put tracking devices on student ID cards?

Not without parent's consent.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:47 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,851,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
It is a step toward teaching the children that all choices will be made for them ahead of time.

If you are in class, it's not because you are following the rules because you've judged the consequences of cutting, it's because the goons will come and get you if you cut.
This is a parent's job. The so-called "goon" was a beating on the other side of the door if my parents got a phone call about me ditching. I never did. Granted, I never attended public school and a real live person called each student's house if they weren't in their assigned home room when the bell rang.

I am from Generation X and I assure you I was way more afraid of my parents than I was of anybody in authority at my school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education