Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 01:04 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That would accomplish what, exactly? Let's see, the military demands the following of orders and certain procedures in doing things. What is it these kids are bad at doing? What possible punishment would make an impression on them?

What you'd have instead would be prep school fragging incidents in the news.

Most would last a week.

If you haven't worked with this population, as OldHag and couple others have, you have absolutely no idea what you're up against. It's not just the home life but everything else that cascades out of that. These kids have had zero guidance from Day One.
Only one method seems to work but it it'll get you fired or worse. I could tell the old man in the grey hoodie wanted to throw that boy up across the wall.

What's interesting about the video is we hear a lot about the need for Black male teachers but the kids in the video seem just as disrespectful to them as any other teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 01:07 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Only one method seems to work but it it'll get you fired or worse. I could tell the old man in the grey hoodie wanted to throw that boy up across the wall.

What's interesting about the video is we hear a lot about the need for Black male teachers but the kids in the video seem just as disrespectful to them as any other teacher.
In my experience they're treated worse.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No one can learn in classrooms like this but what is the alternative?
Throw them out! The notion that everyone is capable of schooling is preposterous. I think things were better when we didn't maintain such pretenses. You weren't going to school, you went to fields or hung out on the street. The streets have a good way of punishing stupidity.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:19 PM

One thing I agree with is the little miscreant Cortez not taking his medicine. I wouldn't take it either.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:22 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Most would last a week.

If you haven't worked with this population, as OldHag and couple others have, you have absolutely no idea what you're up against. It's not just the home life but everything else that cascades out of that. These kids have had zero guidance from Day One.
Not so much for teaching purposes but discipline and security. Need for someone who can physically stand up to the fighters.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:35 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times
We need to do like Japan does. If a student does not want to learn or excel in school, they let them fail and get kicked out.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:42 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
Our school, which is not the most orderly of places on a good day, was designated this year to be the home school for the behavior disordered students. This video reminded me of a bad day at work. On a good day, we actually get some learning done. I wish that the people who set the testing goals could really understand what it is like to work with these students, day after day, and try to ameliorate the hell that they are going through at home.

Better yet, I wish that the test people could live through the day as one of our kids and see if they survive. Bonus points if they learn something too.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:43 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
A very strict residential military school, where those who fail to say "yes sir" get punished, and the punishment gets worse for repeated infractions, could work. The punishments could include such things as having a couple of hours of a heavy load of manual labor and not getting dinner till it's done. Or if they take all night and aren't finished with the work, they get just enough breakfast to be able to continue working, but not enough to feel like they aren't starving. And if they fall asleep while working, they have to continue when they wake up, and still don't get any meals, other than small amounts just enough to enable them to continue working, till they finally get the 2 hours of work done.

To encourage the parents to enroll their kids in such a school, kick them out of all other schools and make the parents pay fines if their kids don't attend any school.

Or we could just continue to do what we do now. Let their education fall through the cracks until they're old enough to get a lethal injection. But if this were a civilized country, we wouldn't choose such options.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:13 PM

271 posts, read 341,433 times
Vice is known for putting out propaganda pieces.. When the dominant society sees films about schools like this,they fall back on the age old "all Blacks are like this" stereotypes. And they use this to justify funneling Black children disproportionally into special education and disproportionally putting Black kids on behavior drugs.

You notice they never "blame the parents" of non-black kids or blame their "culture" when they come to school and do this:

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-23-2014 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: copyrighted picture - do not post pictures that are not your own.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:30 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I just don't see how how a school like this helps. The kids are emotionally disturbed, don't want to learn, many of the parents don't give a crap, and the classroom is so chaotic and disrupted to such an extent I don't see how even a rare student that wanted to learn could focus on the lesson. I couldn't learn in an environment like that.
NO ONE could learn in that environment. Such classrooms are a complete and utter waste of time and money. I have no solutions, but I know that those classrooms, surely aren't one either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education