U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-10-2007, 07:45 PM

499 posts, read 940,058 times
Default Hi novanative

Quote:
Originally Posted by novanative75 View Post
Not really, this thread was about the difference between schools in the 1960's and now, sports then, sports today.
This is fun, you chasing me all over. I am not offended one bit. I am however still laughing about my honey. Tag your it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-10-2007, 07:51 PM

499 posts, read 940,058 times
Default help me out here novanative

Quote:
There were sports in the 1960's, sorry to burst your bubble. My mom went to high school in the 1960's, she was a cheerleader and sports were HUGE! Do you have to bring sports into every thread on here?
Hey will help me? If I click on to a reply post, then decide I do not want to leave a message, how do I get back out of it? Does it just disappear or do I need to cancel it? THanks. Don't get me wrong, I love sports, as long as they are not in the way of getting a real EDUCATION, and the taking EDUCATION MONIES THAT EVERY PARENT PAYS FOR. LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Unread 12-10-2007, 08:35 PM

36 posts, read 101,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
In the '60's, students had more respect for parents. They had more respect for their schools and learning. There was something called "school spirit" which is missing in a lot of schools today.

In the '60's, there was far more discipline in the classroom. Teachers were able to teach more and not have to be babysitters.

In the '60's, if a child did not pass a course, they either retook the course or went to summer school - and/or held back.

In the '60's, those who were disruptive in school, were "farmed out" to what we sometimes referred to as "reform schools".

In the '60's, schools were able to enact and enforce dress codes for students which lessened many of the potential discipline problems of today -

How I wish we could go back to the '60's sometimes

The 1960's had school segregation. This meant the schools with high property tax had what you mentioned. The others with low real estate value had decent school behavior but bad school conditions of overcrowding, worn out books, equipment, worn floors, not enough quality teachers, cold classrooms, and kids who had barely anything to eat or dress.

The problem was not school behavior but truancy and high drop-out rates in elementary school through high school. The deliquency was outside of school and that was true with all schools-good or bad. Schools were looked by the students as military bases. But outside? Pregnancies were high, alcohol abuse was high. Inside the "poorly run bases" if you were an athlete, you got free pass at poor schools (they were called athlete factories). There were occasional scandals; like harassment, suicides, and others you hear about military today. There were also reports from "poorly run bases" of high achievement of students due to community involvement.

But it was just a coverup from the facts. You were placed in classes without testing and put you in academic groups of achievers and non-achievers. You were treated like a poorly trained soldier who just got drafted. You had to learn on your own and the teachers weren't equipped to train them. So many times, they either weeded them out by failing or passed them and let them deal with society.

There was an element of public opinion that wouldn't allow consistent scandals which I think was due to the cold war why I believe the schools tried to be moral. The Russians are coming guilt and the commie card to keep students in-line. Also, using threat of expelling someone because of association or looking different (boy behaving like a girl and vice-versa) got you kicked out. It didn't always work though and lot of it was covered up as well. If word got out, you are gone so delinquency was more of a covert operation. Illegal Drugs didn't come into schools because you couldn't grow them in orchards and ship them until Madame Nu from Vietnam grew marijuana and heroin and the Mafia helped with the shipment. If drugs existed it was more pharmacy stuff but that was outside of school. College was where they gave it to you on campus but that was even hush hush.

Last edited by trivfun; 12-10-2007 at 09:17 PM..

Unread 12-11-2007, 09:57 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,725,464 times
Quote:
In the '60's, students had more respect for parents. They had more respect for their schools and learning. There was something called "school spirit" which is missing in a lot of schools today.

In the '60's, there was far more discipline in the classroom. Teachers were able to teach more and not have to be babysitters.
Dude, I was THERE because I'm older than God. Six-year-olds got smacked with wooden paddles for not reading at the same rate everyone else was. I know, because I was that kid. Oh, and the kid on the end of the paddle was a lot more likely to be black or Hispanic. This is not an improvement. A teacher who has to resort to child abuse (or a parent, for that matter) has lost control of her or his classroom and is relying on nothing more than adult strength against people still numbering their ages in single digits. Again, this is NOT an improvement.
Quote:

In the '60's, if a child did not pass a course, they either retook the course or went to summer school - and/or held back.
That happens now. As far as not being held back, y'know who's responsible for that one? Parents. Most school districts cave when parents wave an attorney's business card at a principal.

Quote:
In the '60's, those who were disruptive in school, were "farmed out" to what we sometimes referred to as "reform schools".
Still happens, but now they're called "alternative schools." Still, a rose by any other name...
Quote:

In the '60's, schools were able to enact and enforce dress codes for students which lessened many of the potential discipline problems of today -

How I wish we could go back to the '60's sometimes
I wouldn't mind seeing Hendrix at Woodstock.

Unread 12-11-2007, 03:22 PM

745 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
Dude, I was THERE because I'm older than God. Six-year-olds got smacked with wooden paddles for not reading at the same rate everyone else was. I know, because I was that kid. Oh, and the kid on the end of the paddle was a lot more likely to be black or Hispanic. This is not an improvement. A teacher who has to resort to child abuse (or a parent, for that matter) has lost control of her or his classroom and is relying on nothing more than adult strength against people still numbering their ages in single digits. Again, this is NOT an improvement.

That happens now. As far as not being held back, y'know who's responsible for that one? Parents. Most school districts cave when parents wave an attorney's business card at a principal.

Still happens, but now they're called "alternative schools." Still, a rose by any other name...

I wouldn't mind seeing Hendrix at Woodstock.

Hey dude don't forget that Harvard students from 1961 to 1968 were involved in "testing" out the effects of LSD. As it was a legal substance then hahaha. The 60's were totally out of control and youth were running a muck compared to today's generation.

Unread 12-11-2007, 03:56 PM

847 posts, read 2,230,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Hey dude don't forget that Harvard students from 1961 to 1968 were involved in "testing" out the effects of LSD. As it was a legal substance then hahaha. The 60's were totally out of control and youth were running a muck compared to today's generation.
Have you met some of today's youth?? Sure, some are extremely successful and I am sure there are statistics out there that will talk about the rise in advanced courses and the rise in test scores and college admissions, but I would say that the nature of issues kids are facing today are way more extreme than in the past. Now I was not alive in the 60's and went to school in the 80's and 90's but today's kids are doing some bad things. I have been there and done that with a lot of things, but things I see shock me.
Look at the rise in teen pregnancy rates, the young age at which kids are involved in sexual activity (oral sex and middle school go hand in hand these days!), the increasing amount of students who are self-mutilating, the rise in eating disorders, the rise in school violence and gang activity, the increasingly dangerous drugs that are being more and more frequently used, cocaine, heroin, etc. The abuse, both physical and sexual that these kids are victims of and finally, but so scary, the internet and its role in the many many bad situations teens are finding themselves in. Did you hear about the girl who killed herself after a situation on MySpace? Or the many, many kids who are meeting sexual predators online. Again, not alive in the 60's but guessing kids were not traveling across state lines to meet pedafiles??

I would take a group of hippies sitting in a circle tripping on acid over any of these things ANYDAY.

Unread 12-11-2007, 04:01 PM

25,105 posts, read 22,176,063 times
Quote:

I would take a group of hippies sitting in a circle tripping on acid over any of these things ANYDAY.
You know - I had to think about your statement - and, to my horror , I had to agree with you!

Unread 12-11-2007, 04:06 PM

847 posts, read 2,230,491 times
Quote:

You know - I had to think about your statement - and, to my horror , I had to agree with you!
I hope your horror was in realizing how terrible the issues are today and not in agreeing with me!!
We are in agreeance on the EDUCATION thread. Long live sports!

Unread 12-11-2007, 04:39 PM

10,428 posts, read 26,344,647 times
How very true everyone of those are. It is a shame.

My next door neighbors kid brought 2 aspirin into school. His Mom gave them to him. He did not feel like taking them in the morning but Mom made him promise he would take them if his head ache got worse. So he put them in his shirt pocket.

Later that day his head ache got worse and he went into the hall to get a drink to wash down the aspirins. Well a teacher saw this and took the kid to the office. He got permanantly expelled for having a controlled substance. A Bayer Aspirin. They had to move to another area to get the kid back into school.

Of course the Mom came into school to explain but the commies would hear none of it. There are rules is all they can say.

I miss them.

Unread 12-11-2007, 04:54 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,632,622 times
The funny thing about this thread is that the people who went to school in the 60s are the ones who are running the schools now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education