U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:18 PM

2,015 posts, read 4,663,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1960 - Vice principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his own shotgun to show Jack.

2007 - School goes into lockdown, the FBI is called, Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again.
Counselors are called in to assist traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1960 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies

2007 - Police are called, SWAT team arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. They are charged with assault and both are expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class and disrupts other students.

1960 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given a good paddling. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra state funding because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1960 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some Aspirin to school.

1960 - Mark shares Aspirin with the school principal out on the smoking dock.

2007 - Police are called and Mark is expelled from School for drug violations. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high-school English.

1960 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.

2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist.USCivil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover Independence Day firecrackers, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.

1960 - Ants die.

2007 - Homeland Security and the FBI are called and Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. teams investigate parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during recess and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.

1960 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in federal prison. Johnny undergoes five years
of therapy.
All I have to say about the "glory days" of yesteryear and how good people were and how peachy it all was "way back then", is that these so-called "good people" must have raised some very bad kids who continued to have very bad kids. Someone had to raise the so-called "hooligans" of today. I happen to believe that there was good and bad yesteryear as much as there is today. I see some pretty awesome kids today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 05:37 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,320,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
All I have to say about the "glory days" of yesteryear and how good people were and how peachy it all was "way back then", is that these so-called "good people" must have raised some very bad kids who continued to have very bad kids. Someone had to raise the so-called "hooligans" of today. I happen to believe that there was good and bad yesteryear as much as there is today. I see some pretty awesome kids today.
I was a hooligan of yesterday. In the 70s I smoked, drank, did dope, skipped school and did any number if things. And God I am sorry for it and I made Gawddamn sure I raised my kids better than what I was.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 12,556 times
I went to school during the 60's and 70's. There was discipline, the teachers maintained control of the classroom, and yes, you even got whacked with either the paddle or the yardstick. In fact, the year that I graduated, three students were kicked out of school when a teacher caught them smoking marijuana at lunchtime. If you got in trouble or ifyour report card wasn't good, they would call your parents and your parents would really lay it on you. I remember my parents being mad at my brother because he failed history in the seventh grade. When I was in grade school, I was acting up, carrying on and crying in class, was yelling at the teachers, and I too got punished as well. My parents didn't play games when it came to messing up in school.

Nowadays, the teachers can't even maintain control of the classroom. The kids are either attacking the teachers or even other students. Last year in the Philadelphia school district, a high school math teacher had his neck broken by a 15-year-old kid who wasn't even a student there. Five years ago, a 13-year-old kid put cleaning fluid in a teacher's coffee cup when she disciplined him during math class. And how many times have you heard of teachers sexually molesting their students? How sick!

And the parents today are just as bad. Instead of teaching their kids right from wrong, they go running to either the ACLU or to a lawyer saying that their child's "rights were violated". There was an article in the Sunday Philadelphia Inquirer three years ago about how parents in the Philadelphia school district had gotten out of hand. For example: one father pulled down his pants in front of the assistant principal, who was a female; another mother told her daughter to fight another student, and when the teacher tried to intervene, the mother told the teacher "mind your own business", and in another school, the principal was attacked.

School has definitely come a long way since the 60's.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:44 AM

36 posts, read 189,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanlisa View Post
I went to school during the 60's and 70's. There was discipline, the teachers maintained control of the classroom, and yes, you even got whacked with either the paddle or the yardstick. In fact, the year that I graduated, three students were kicked out of school when a teacher caught them smoking marijuana at lunchtime. If you got in trouble or ifyour report card wasn't good, they would call your parents and your parents would really lay it on you. I remember my parents being mad at my brother because he failed history in the seventh grade. When I was in grade school, I was acting up, carrying on and crying in class, was yelling at the teachers, and I too got punished as well. My parents didn't play games when it came to messing up in school.

Nowadays, the teachers can't even maintain control of the classroom. The kids are either attacking the teachers or even other students. Last year in the Philadelphia school district, a high school math teacher had his neck broken by a 15-year-old kid who wasn't even a student there. Five years ago, a 13-year-old kid put cleaning fluid in a teacher's coffee cup when she disciplined him during math class. And how many times have you heard of teachers sexually molesting their students? How sick!

And the parents today are just as bad. Instead of teaching their kids right from wrong, they go running to either the ACLU or to a lawyer saying that their child's "rights were violated". There was an article in the Sunday Philadelphia Inquirer three years ago about how parents in the Philadelphia school district had gotten out of hand. For example: one father pulled down his pants in front of the assistant principal, who was a female; another mother told her daughter to fight another student, and when the teacher tried to intervene, the mother told the teacher "mind your own business", and in another school, the principal was attacked.

School has definitely come a long way since the 60's.

But you are just Gentiles!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:09 PM

403 posts, read 1,434,411 times
Well, the children certainly don't learn cursive anymore!

Old 04-26-2008, 07:43 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,440,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
Are you actually advocating the idea that a whipping with a belt is a positive form of parenting?
It worked with me. You sound like you let your kids run all over you.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:46 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,440,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I was a hooligan of yesterday. In the 70s I smoked, drank, did dope, skipped school and did any number if things. And God I am sorry for it and I made Gawddamn sure I raised my kids better than what I was.
Kev, why is this? Did you have an inability to be a normal, rational, well-adjusted human being as a youth?

Old 04-26-2008, 09:32 PM

12,030 posts, read 16,765,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanlisa View Post
That sounds just like how school is today except for the superfluous paddling. Only now, if your report card isn't good, they let college rejection letters speak for themselves. Teachers only call if kids are failing.

Sure, some schools don't function like that. Some parents don't either (and the fact that your parents even let your brother get anywhere CLOSE to failing isn't exactly exemplary parenting anyway). There were lax parents and teachers in the 60s as well. And there were plenty of sex scandals regarding teachers and students- they just never made the news.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:52 AM

25,393 posts, read 30,735,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
What is bad today is parenting. Parents don't expect thing of their children they expect things to be done for their children. Their children are raised as their special snowflakes. They're told how unique and special they are. Parents insist on trophys just for showing up so no one feels bad because they lost. Winning and losing and the abiltty to handle BOTH are necessary skills for life. Children don't learn through the normal ups and downs of life now. Hoverparents are there to make sure every bump is smoothed out. Every time their child fails it is someone elses responsibility NOT their child's.

I was looking over my end of year evaluations. It's amazing how many of my high absence students complained that I go too fast and I can't teach. When you're absent even twice a month, I would suspect the material would seem very fast. (We are not talking sick students here. My, truely, ill students did well for the most part. They're used to actually making up their work when they miss). One of my high absence students came to see me about all her zeros. She accused me of NEVER giving her the assignments. It's my fault she was absent and my fault she never asked a friend or me what she missed. We're talking work that has had zeros in a computerized grade book that she can access on line during school yet it's my fault that she didn't figure out, in the last three months, that she missed an assignment.

I really wish they made the students write the number of times they were absent during the year on their reviews. For the most part, my reviews are decent from the students who were there. While the ones who were absent 15-20% of the time, wrote horrible reviews.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 06-06-2010 at 04:49 AM..

Old 06-06-2010, 07:56 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,052,104 times
I think the OP is spot on. Satirized some, but spot on.

I remember those times and in knowing these time, both ends couldn't be more right.

It is now being reaped what was sown over the years in between then and now. It won't change until people acknowledge that an awful lot has to change; parenting, education, government, social, everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or