U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-06-2010, 10:30 AM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,341,572 times
Reputation: 13682

Advertisements

I was at school in the 1960s and early 1970s and hated it. My overwhelming memory is of sarcastic and sadistic teachers wielding the strap as if a couple of strokes on the hand would make you smarter. There is one teacher who, if I met him today, I would happily beat to a pulp. Of course, he is probably in his 80s. But, if it was okay for him to assault a child then it must be okay for me to assault a senior.

Probably things have gone too far today in the other direction. But lets not go pretending that the 1960s was some kind of golden age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-06-2010, 11:54 PM
 
Location: California
30,702 posts, read 33,496,337 times
Reputation: 26130
Pfft. Dream on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Marion, IA
2,796 posts, read 5,490,649 times
Reputation: 1579
That would be a lot funnier if so much of it weren't so true...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 02:33 PM
 
Location: On a Slow-Sinking Granite Rock Up North
3,637 posts, read 5,400,715 times
Reputation: 2655
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I think the OP is spot on. Satirized some, but spot on.

I remember those times and in knowing these time, both ends couldn't be more right.

It is now being reaped what was sown over the years in between then and now. It won't change until people acknowledge that an awful lot has to change; parenting, education, government, social, everything.
Educational fads, come, educational fads go, drugs come, drugs go, social unrest comes, social unrest goes, parenting ideas come, parenting ideas go, but one thing remains constant:

Human nature NEVER changes. I came across this quote today, and judging by the back and forth of this discussion, I'd have to say it's pretty applicable to it and most things in life.

"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2010, 12:41 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,669 times
Reputation: 10
Does anyone realize it was us who raised this generation to be cowardly pieces of ****, and the schools nowadays to be uptight and cynical? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2010, 01:52 PM
 
2,605 posts, read 4,054,272 times
Reputation: 2166
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
That would be a lot funnier if so much of it weren't so true...
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashsmashtrash View Post
Does anyone realize it was us who raised this generation to be cowardly pieces of ****, and the schools nowadays to be uptight and cynical? lol
Not all of us. It's primarily those who have decided to play the Political Correctness Fantasy Game, and those who decided that children are the center of the universe and should be treated like young gods. It's those who think they have to manage every second of every day of their children's lives and the lives of all other children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2010, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,848 posts, read 8,612,708 times
Reputation: 6286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I was at school in the 1960s and early 1970s and hated it. My overwhelming memory is of sarcastic and sadistic teachers wielding the strap as if a couple of strokes on the hand would make you smarter. There is one teacher who, if I met him today, I would happily beat to a pulp. Of course, he is probably in his 80s. But, if it was okay for him to assault a child then it must be okay for me to assault a senior.

Probably things have gone too far today in the other direction. But lets not go pretending that the 1960s was some kind of golden age.
That's sort of sad. Do you think your school experience was the typical one for the time where you grew up, or was it unusual in some way?

I have to say - I have good memories of most of my teachers. Some were better than others, and nicer than others, but I can't think of a teacher or administrator that I wouldn't give a friendly greeting to if I saw him today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2010, 08:33 PM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,341,572 times
Reputation: 13682
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
That's sort of sad. Do you think your school experience was the typical one for the time where you grew up, or was it unusual in some way?

I have to say - I have good memories of most of my teachers. Some were better than others, and nicer than others, but I can't think of a teacher or administrator that I wouldn't give a friendly greeting to if I saw him today.
You have seen my more detailed comments on school in another thread. I don't think my school was atypical and comments from others who went through a similar system suggest that I am not alone in having hated it.

I recall a primary teacher (elementary in the US) who taught us for Maths. You would stand at her desk and she would ask questions. If you were slow with the answer she would start banging the side of your head hard with her pen. As if that would make the answer come quicker She passed away a few years ago and I happened on her obituary in the local newspaper. Her daughter commented on how much she loved the kids It was not recipocated.

That is not to suggest we did not get a good education and some of the teachers were excellent. But I have difficulty thinking of any to whom I would give a friendly greeting today.

As a result of the pretty tough environment we were in we became quite thick skinned and self-reliant. That has stood me in good stead in my later life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2010, 09:36 PM
 
Location: USA
2,779 posts, read 6,691,014 times
Reputation: 1869
The 60s (early to mid especially) had much stronger discipline rules and more corporal punishment obviously. If a kid didn't tow the line, there was military school.

However, by the late 60s, I sensed things changing as far as discipline in the schools. The respect was declining and of course drugs started entering into society and schools. There were more "parents" challenging the system on hair lenght on boys, pants for girls, corporal punishment. A lot of that began with Miss O'hair the atheist who didn't like school prayers.

Little by little, bit by bit, all this is what has brought us to where we are today. I have witnessed it growing up, then reaching middle age. If some people cannot see the harm that has been done, then they need to take off those rose-colored glasses.

Started school 1960
Started high school 1969
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I agree.

Not all of us. It's primarily those who have decided to play the Political Correctness Fantasy Game, and those who decided that children are the center of the universe and should be treated like young gods. It's those who think they have to manage every second of every day of their children's lives and the lives of all other children.
The only thing that is saving us is that so many of those families treat their pets like gods, and their children like secondary deities, so the children don't get quite so spoiled and groomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:11 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top