Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:37 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,757,719 times

Advertisements

ChrisC. Only item where I differ from you is that adjuncts do not do a lot of the same things a tenured professor does. Specifically, adjuncts do not have to hold office hours, sit on endless, meaningless committees, update CORs ("official" documents detailing what the course entails), course certification and renewals, and all the other bureaucratic garbage that a full-time teacher has to put up with. Just this crap is enough to keep me from wanting to be a full-timer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:47 AM

25,684 posts, read 18,770,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
ChrisC. Only item where I differ from you is that adjuncts do not do a lot of the same things a tenured professor does. Specifically, adjuncts do not have to hold office hours, sit on endless, meaningless committees, update CORs ("official" documents detailing what the course entails), course certification and renewals, and all the other bureaucratic garbage that a full-time teacher has to put up with. Just this crap is enough to keep me from wanting to be a full-timer.
That is true, although as adjuncts we often hold "office hours" in the halls or library or wherever else, even though we don't have to. But, you're right, it's not required. Actually, I see this as a disservice to the students though. My university has recently put in a "collective office" for adjuncts from the math, English, and foreign language departments to hold scheduled "office hours." Not much, but it is a step in the right direction.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:55 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
This is awful, how little we pay teachers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/30/ny...home.html?_r=0

-At $22K annually, her salary is far above the poverty level for a single person with no dependents

-She's chosen to only work part time

-Maybe she should move out of the NYC area

-Regarding the "how little we pay teachers" comment, is that why the NY teachers unions sued to have their salary and pension data removed from NY's fiscal transparency website?

Old 04-28-2014, 09:09 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,460,398 times
Yeah, I don't get the point of this article. When I went to college, adjunct professors usually had a couple of other jobs on the side to make ends meet. Heck, some of them were attorneys or journalists and decided to teach a couple of classes a week for fun. There was no way they could've lived off what they made strictly as adjunct professors. Being an assistant, associate, or a full-fledged tenured professor is a career, but being an adjunct professor alone won't keep a roof over your head in much of the US. On an interesting note, my best professors were adjunct.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
There seems a lot more to this story then what we are being told.
Being able to teach Spanish and yet not able to find a full time job ?

Sounds more like she made bad decisions along the way and got herself deep into debt.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
On an interesting note, my best professors were adjunct.
Same here.

Generally, though not always, the more "nationally noted" the professor was... the poorer his/her teaching ability was. To be fair, these types were brilliant and great researchers... but they still couldn't teach worth beans in many cases.

In one case, I never really caught a word the professor was saying all semester. He would walk into the classroom and to the chalkboard without even looking at the students, open the book, stare at the board as he wrote on the board, never look away, and mumble indecipherably all hour. He was a brilliant, nationally noted researcher in abstract and homological algebra.

The adjuncts I had, almost without exception, were very talented and capable when it came to explaining and teaching the concepts. They were able to connect with a "normal" brain; math gods were typically not able to do that.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There seems a lot more to this story then what we are being told.
Being able to teach Spanish and yet not able to find a full time job ?
Exactly. That's a hot ability right now. Very marketable.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:53 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
Are we supposed to feel bad for someone too lazy to work a full week?

Old 04-28-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Are we supposed to feel bad for someone too lazy to work a full week?
Only if you feel bad for the full time faculty, who work the same number of teaching hours and get paid ten times more. If you were making $7.50 an hour flipping burgers and the guy just next to you on the grill was making $75.00 an hour doing the exact same thing, you'd probably at least think about it, or maybe even feel a twinge of irritation.

But it's a moot point anyway, because that woman could easily get a full time position teaching Spanish elsewhere (especially with an MA degree). She needs to get out of New York for starters. She wouldn't be having a problem on her wages in many other locations.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:20 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,421 times
I don't get this OP. I looked at her profile and, basically, she hops around CD posts once in a thread and moves on nary to be seen again in that thread.

There are several people here that do that. Hmmm...why do you think they do that? I enjoy a good conversation, but what's up with those who dive-bomb a thread with their opinion and never come back?

There are also the ones that come in and make unbelievable and outlandish comments that are designed to stir up the muck, but not offer anything to the discussion at hand.

Something to ponder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education