Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 11:18 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
A full time professor is paid a salary, not just for each class he/she teaches. More often than not, research and publishing is a part of the job description.

Adjuncts are paid by the class, and they generally have no other duties to the university other than teaching and class preparation.
And how does that negate my facts? The person we're discussingis not fulltime faculty, she's an adjunct. Full time teaching load is 12 credit hours, regardless of your tenure status. Not all tenured or full time faculty have lowered teaching loads, it depends on the institution. Adjuncts are paid by class, but the max load they could be expected to teach properly is the same, 12 credit hours per semester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 11:21 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
What is the range (yearly) for a part-time prof in NYC? It would help if she told how much she actually makes.
Adjunct project data | Adjunct Project
About $2000 per 3 credit course, or $8000 per semester, $16,000 per year.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
It sounds like she is teaching around 2 classes per semester. She didn't get her master's until 2010, when she was 49. Bear in mind that she lacks a PhD. That's a plan for failure in academia.
Exactly. Folks that want to be full professors get a PhD and pursue a full time professorship.

Folks that need a little extra money on the side do adjunct teaching. Being an adjunct isn't even a normal career path to become a full professor.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:38 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,333 times
Oh, good, another thread full of hated and contempt for the working poor. Yes, we'd all be filthy rich if we just bootstrapped a little harder.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:05 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Adjunct project data | Adjunct Project
About $2000 per 3 credit course, or $8000 per semester, $16,000 per year.
Hmmm. Could it possibly be less than that? If she were making around 15-16K I don't see how you could be forced in to homelesness unless you had some weird outstanding situation with debt. Even in NYC, I would guess that several hundred would get you a room in a basment or flat somewhere with enough money left over to eat simple and get around the city.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:30 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
What is the range (yearly) for a part-time prof in NYC? It would help if she told how much she actually makes.
She is making "several thousand dollars per course" for two courses.

She has educational loans for her Master's degree, which came from a pricey private college, and she has unpaid medical bills.

She is another person who paid too much for a degree in a field which will only allow her to teach and a niche for which there is not much demand. She previously also taught at a community college but was not assigned any classes there this year because she "lacked seniority". That means they had full time staff to teach those courses.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:38 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Woman with few marketable skills and a part-time teaching job can't make ends meet. Sad story, but what's to be accomplished with her one-woman protest?

Old 04-27-2014, 02:06 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Hmmm. Could it possibly be less than that? If she were making around 15-16K I don't see how you could be forced in to homelesness unless you had some weird outstanding situation with debt. Even in NYC, I would guess that several hundred would get you a room in a basment or flat somewhere with enough money left over to eat simple and get around the city.
I live in a high cost of living area. The rooms in a basement around here go for $800-1000 a month, which if she made $16K would leave $530 a month for everything else at best. Yes, an income that low in NYC will leave you homeless.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:43 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I live in a high cost of living area. The rooms in a basement around here go for $800-1000 a month, which if she made $16K would leave $530 a month for everything else at best. Yes, an income that low in NYC will leave you homeless.
But that would just be a bad lifestyle, and not actually homeless. You can do groceries and have something left over with $530. I'm also a bit perplexed as to why she wouldn't just even pick up a small service industry job to go along with it. It's not a desirable lifestyle, but I just think the article was initially misleading.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:32 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Yet, there are so many other options available versus sleeping in a car. She could find other adjunct professors to get a roommate setup somewhere, rent a room in somebody's home, trade in-home care for a senior or disabled person in exchange for rent.

I'm not suggesting she doesn't have a valid complaint about teacher's wages, but making bad choices or not brainstorming to find good solutions is counter-productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education