Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 10:06 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,839,457 times

Advertisements

This was in an EAA school, btw. I would not want to be in a classroom where this could happen.

Detroit teacher fired after breaking up fight with broom - Fox 2 News Headlines

Keith Johnson, President of the Detroit Federation of Teachers, tells FOX 2's Maurielle Lue he believes the teacher was wrong for using a broom, although he understands her motive. "Unfortunately, the method that she used, in terms of swatting one with a broom, is a violation of the corporal punishment provision under the Michigan school code. But she's caught in a quandary because under that same code she's expected to do what is necessary to diffuse a situation," he says.

A representative from Pershing's communication's office says teachers were instructed during orientation to call for security on a walkie talkie during such situations. FOX 2 has learned this teacher's walkie talkie wasn't working.

Read more: Detroit teacher fired after breaking up fight with broom - Fox 2 News Headlines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 10:25 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,142,569 times
Why not teach in Detroit. Let me count the reasons--GUNS, DISRESPECT, GUNS, CAR JACKING, APATHY, GUNS, and then you have to deal with the students?

By the way, that is an EAA school so enough said about that. And there ain't enough teachers in Detroit now? I heard quite a few TFA recruits have bailed from the EAA schools here in Detroit.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:52 PM

4,362 posts, read 4,213,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
This was in an EAA school, btw. I would not want to be in a classroom where this could happen.

Keith Johnson, President of the Detroit Federation of Teachers, tells FOX 2's Maurielle Lue he believes the teacher was wrong for using a broom, although he understands her motive. "Unfortunately, the method that she used, in terms of swatting one with a broom, is a violation of the corporal punishment provision under the Michigan school code. But she's caught in a quandary because under that same code she's expected to do what is necessary to diffuse a situation," he says.

A representative from Pershing's communication's office says teachers were instructed during orientation to call for security on a walkie talkie during such situations. FOX 2 has learned this teacher's walkie talkie wasn't working.

Read more: Detroit teacher fired after breaking up fight with broom - Fox 2 News Headlines
I hate it for the teacher, but it sounds as if she could have handled things much better. She was hired in late January of this year, so it may be that the students had already run off another teacher. It's not unlikely that she was hired from a very small applicant pool. There aren't a lot of people who are willing to step into an EAA school, much less qualified to do so. That is a problem in a lot of districts located in depressed areas.

Our school's training has instructed that my responsibility requires me to tell the students to stop fighting. After that, I am to buzz the office, which nearly always fails to respond. Earlier this year, I inadvertantly got between two boys who stripped off their shirts and had at each other. I had to jump and spin to get out from the middle of a pretty lively throw-down. This is in an inner-city school in a high-crime neighborhood, with all that implies.

I don't remember any teacher in this area being fired for touching students while trying to break up a fight. I did see a security guard nearly strangle a boy in the lunchroom to the point that I turned away because I didn't want to see what happened next. I've had a few fights in my room over the years, but I'm fairly adept at interrupting things before physical contact starts. Our district forbids corporal punishment, but that is very unusual around here, where most schools still paddle students.

My daddy taught me never to get between two dogs, and I just extend that wisdom to fights between students. We don't have water hoses, which is what I would use to break up a dogfight. Would that count as corporal punishment? I hear that in Texas, they use Tasers!

Old 05-06-2014, 04:54 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,469,728 times
Quote:

So what was she supposed to do? Let them beat each other? Then she'd be in trouble for not stopping the fight. Under the circumstances, the broom was warranted. She didn't even have a working walkie-talkie to call security. I hope she sues and wins. They didn't even give her the ability to call for help and then fire her for using a broom? Seriously?

Old 05-06-2014, 05:02 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,803,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Why not teach in Detroit. Let me count the reasons--GUNS, DISRESPECT, GUNS, CAR JACKING, APATHY, GUNS, and then you have to deal with the students?

By the way, that is an EAA school so enough said about that. And there ain't enough teachers in Detroit now? I heard quite a few TFA recruits have bailed from the EAA schools here in Detroit.
Not to mention the poverty. Such a shame.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:02 PM

983 posts, read 991,649 times
Just a broom? I'm suprised she didn't do it with a .45 caliber.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:07 AM

8,000 posts, read 7,354,956 times
OK so what is an EAA school? I gather it's some kind of last-chance outpost where teachers with seniority fear to tread.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:30 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,142,569 times
Quote:

This is my world everyday. Though I am in Detroit, it is a residential / detention facility. NOT associated with DPS or EAA.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,839,457 times
EAA - Education Achievement System

Students in historically low-achieving schools in Detroit made steady progress in their first year in the Education Achievement Authority, the state's school turnaround district, with 12.1 percent of students who were not proficient in reading the previous year meeting the state standard in 2013, MEAP scores released by the Michigan Department of Education Friday showed.

Education Achievement Authority of Michigan ::

Quote:
The Education Achievement Authority of Michigan (EAA) is a new public system of schools. The EAA’s mission is to change the paradigm for how we deliver public education to all students – urban, suburban and rural – in Michigan. The EAA is made up of both traditional and charter public schools; the emphasis is on empowering the principals and teachers with the autonomy to make the best decisions for the students they serve. The EAA is turning schools into creative, innovative learning environments that provide students a good education. It offers struggling students the opportunity to catch up to their peers around the state and receive the better education they need to succeed in college or a career after high school.

The system opened in September 2012 with 15 of Detroit’s lowest-achieving schools and will expand to additional schools across the state in coming years.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:06 PM

10,221 posts, read 19,156,449 times
Should have used a water hose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education