Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 08:31 AM

291 posts, read 505,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
What graduate program are you looking at? The administrator program you are talking about is probably the same as the resident care director programs that are available through community colleges so it may or may not be the only chance to get into administration. Is that what you want to do career-wise? Working at a nursing home or assisted living community is not everyone's cup of tea.
I'm looking at an MBA program with a specialization in healthcare administration. If I get accepted, it would be ideal for me as they have a 7 month residency program that pays very well and usually located at a hospital too. The administrator program I am referring to requires at least a bachelor's degree. The program is to prepare students to take the nursing home administrator test by the end of it to officially be certified. The money is very appealing but I'm not too sure if it's about money at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb933-lon View Post
I would suggest taking the admin-in-training program and hold off on grad school for now.

I was very much like you at 21. I went from graduating Top 10 in my high school and going right into a molecular biology program at a good state university. I worked my butt off at college, taking classes every summer, but by the time I graduated I was BURNT OUT on school. I got accepted at a medical school in a nearby state, but told them I wanted to volunteer and travel to Africa and Philippines with the Peace Corps for a year before I matriculated. They agreed, and it was the best decision I ever made.

Being out in the "real world" will pay huge dividends. Not only will you have a steady paycheck (not easy in today's economic climate), but you will gain many insights into what your future career path will be. Once you are resolved to still go to grad school at the end of the 2 year program, then you will be that much more focused on your studies.

I meet a lot of disgruntled grad students who just look really burned out on continuous schooling since they were 5 years old. You need a break from that --- recharge the mind and soul.
I know this feeling too well. I can't remember the last time I had a break from school longer than a few weeks. I like school, it's something I'm good at, but I feel like being book smart alone won't get me too far. I definitely need practical experience. I've had two internships in the past and learned a lot and I crave learning in a real healthcare setting in comparison to a classroom setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The best student can always find a job. It is very true, unless your major is totally unmarketable.
So if you are a good student, it does not hurt if you spend more years on education.

However, it looks like you are not quite an academic type so leaving school early may be good for you.

2/3 of my college classmates went to graduate school, and they definitely have better careers than the other 1/3 now, except for 1 or 2.
Not quite sure what you mean about me not being the academic type? Lol. Whatever my plans for the next year, I'm confident about getting my masters by the time I'm 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
What's your degree in? Is this nursing home gig relevant to your degree and your career goals? What would you do on your break, if not this?
My degree is in healthcare administration. This nursing home gig is very relevant to my ultimate career goal - to open up my own nursing home facility down the road, perhaps 20-30 years from now. The only thing stopping me from doing this is that I will not have time to dedicate to a master's as much as I would like as this will likely be a career choice for a while, not just a short gig. I've always wanted to work at a hospital too and my 1st choice grad program will provide me with that opportunity. If I take a break, I will definitely not just sit around. I would find relevant work experience whether it be from a real job or internships. I just feel burned-out from school right now.

Thank you everyone for your inputs! Seems like the opinions are mixed. Definitely still on the fence about everything and I feel the pressure building up as I'm graduating in 2 months or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 08:35 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,394,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopers View Post
If I do the training, I can only work on my master's part-time and I definitely will not be able to attend (if accepted) my 1st choice graduate program in another state.
You need to go to work. There is no point, IMHO, of getting your Masters and then a doctorate before you even start your career.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:49 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,598,710 times
Yes, take the internship.

There are some who believe that the US economy is going to do a major nosedive in 2015. I urge you to increase your savings and live as frugally as you can. Do not put the salary into a totally new car or expensive wardrobe (a few new things are fine! just don't do what the son of a friend did and sink thousands of dollars into threads).

As the depression deepens, many jobs will be lost; however with the aging baby boomer population, there will be need for health care administration and all of the related areas.

Also, I know you are sick of school! But if you haven't had enough accounting courses to understand the books at a facility, plus how to use a spread sheet program well (e.g., Excel), maybe fix that gap with some classes at the local community college. You'll soon be high enough on the feeding chain to have other employees do that task, but if you plan on owning your own place, it's critical to understand finances and taxes, even if you do hire out the day-to-day tasks. Not everyone is honest, unfortunately, and you need to be able to look over everyone's shoulders.

Good luck! It sounds like you have an excellent career ahead of you.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:53 AM

836 posts, read 1,031,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You need to go to work. There is no point, IMHO, of getting your Masters and then a doctorate before you even start your career.
OP, I second this post. I'm not sure what program you are looking into (sorry if you stated it already), but for programs like MBA the admissions board really wants to see work experience - 3 years+. That really helps with their numbers and stats. For instance, on NYU Stern's full time MBA website, the average number of years work experience is 4.7. Now, of course that is an average so they will take candidates with fewer years, however, those candidates have to have stellar GMAT scores and excel in other ways.

I hear you though when you say you just want to further your education asap. I'm wondering if you can have both? I was accepted to Fordham's Pre-MBA Program where I took 3 MBA-level courses (stats, economics, and mathematical methods for business). It was just a taste of what was to come later when I go back, but it was enough to get my foot in the door. An alumni of mine did a Pre-MBA program at Yale, which was during the summer. I would see if you could maybe do something like that if you want to prove yourself in higher education. But as for enrolling officially, I would get experience in your field. Plus, some grad programs require Letters of Recommendation (professionally only), so who would be writing you the LORs if you do not have any work experience (post-grad?)

I say go for this great opportunity for 2 years with great, steady pay. Learn as much as you can and work as hard as you can. When it's time to write LORs, you will hopefully have a lot of great references who can vouch for you. You're on the right track thinking about this early on though so good for you.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:20 AM

291 posts, read 505,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It makes a lot of sense. I think deep down I know I need to work but I can't justify not going to school because I'm just so used to it. Ha! A doctorate! Maybe in my next life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Yes, take the internship.

There are some who believe that the US economy is going to do a major nosedive in 2015. I urge you to increase your savings and live as frugally as you can. Do not put the salary into a totally new car or expensive wardrobe (a few new things are fine! just don't do what the son of a friend did and sink thousands of dollars into threads).

As the depression deepens, many jobs will be lost; however with the aging baby boomer population, there will be need for health care administration and all of the related areas.

Also, I know you are sick of school! But if you haven't had enough accounting courses to understand the books at a facility, plus how to use a spread sheet program well (e.g., Excel), maybe fix that gap with some classes at the local community college. You'll soon be high enough on the feeding chain to have other employees do that task, but if you plan on owning your own place, it's critical to understand finances and taxes, even if you do hire out the day-to-day tasks. Not everyone is honest, unfortunately, and you need to be able to look over everyone's shoulders.

Good luck! It sounds like you have an excellent career ahead of you.
Thanks! I'm scared of that too - graduating and not being able to secure a job. I would hate to become a statistic. I'm lucky enough to finish undergrad debt-free, I was hoping to do the same for grad school. The thought of being neck deep into school debt frightens me. I certainly have a lot more to learn about the business - it's why I'm struggling to stop schooling for the time being. Also, everyone who is in healthcare administration tells me it's pertinent to have a masters degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
OP, I second this post. I'm not sure what program you are looking into (sorry if you stated it already), but for programs like MBA the admissions board really wants to see work experience - 3 years+. That really helps with their numbers and stats. For instance, on NYU Stern's full time MBA website, the average number of years work experience is 4.7. Now, of course that is an average so they will take candidates with fewer years, however, those candidates have to have stellar GMAT scores and excel in other ways.

I hear you though when you say you just want to further your education asap. I'm wondering if you can have both? I was accepted to Fordham's Pre-MBA Program where I took 3 MBA-level courses (stats, economics, and mathematical methods for business). It was just a taste of what was to come later when I go back, but it was enough to get my foot in the door. An alumni of mine did a Pre-MBA program at Yale, which was during the summer. I would see if you could maybe do something like that if you want to prove yourself in higher education. But as for enrolling officially, I would get experience in your field. Plus, some grad programs require Letters of Recommendation (professionally only), so who would be writing you the LORs if you do not have any work experience (post-grad?)

I say go for this great opportunity for 2 years with great, steady pay. Learn as much as you can and work as hard as you can. When it's time to write LORs, you will hopefully have a lot of great references who can vouch for you. You're on the right track thinking about this early on though so good for you.
I'm able to get a few LOR's from my last few internships and several professors. My original plan was to prep for the GRE this summer in in order to take it around September and apply to grad schools. The nursing home is looking for serious candidates - I don't want to start the training program when my heart isnt all in. I don't want to waste my time or theirs. I was told I could maybe go part-time if I start the training program, but that would mean I have to drop all plans of grad school in Texas.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:20 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,491,526 times
You want to one day own a nursing home and you have the opportunity to train and get a job as a nursing home administrator.

Yet you're conflicted about going to school to possibly get an internship in a hospital?

What's the deal with having to go to school in Texas? You could possibly do grad school online.

Are you just trying to avoid growing up and facing the real world?

Old 05-17-2014, 11:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Why not do both? I know quite a few people who worked and got masters degrees while working.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:37 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,783,847 times
I almost always think people should take a break between getting the bachelor's and starting on the master's, because once you get out in the work world, you may find your goals morphing and discover a new interest in something you never even knew existed before and then you'll be more clear about what to study when you go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education