U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 11:22 AM

7,138 posts, read 8,926,266 times
In light of the world's devastating problems, and in particular, ours as a nation, this is a bit trivial. Noone is more educated than I (me?), but because this is ONLY a message board, I think that some little things can be let go. As long as there is a modicum of good syntax, so that most of us can understand the idea one is getting across here. Let's don't be so nit-picky. Or is that TWO words??!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 11:50 AM

3,100 posts, read 20,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
In light of the world's devastating problems, and in particular, ours as a nation, this is a bit trivial. Noone is more educated than I (me?), but because this is ONLY a message board, I think that some little things can be let go. As long as there is a modicum of good syntax, so that most of us can understand the idea one is getting across here. Let's don't be so nit-picky. Or is that TWO words??!!
i dont think we're being nitpickers. i think we are just wondering why in the heck some people cant spell or use halfway decent grammar and felt that the education forum was a safe place to talk about these things. it really really bothers some people when they see horrible english!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:55 AM

7,138 posts, read 8,926,266 times
It bothers me too, but not enough to write about it or make people uncomfortable. I think is too late for most adults to change their ways and become language and grammar experts.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:05 PM

all im sayin is that people write about tiny things all the time on city data forum so why shouldnt we be allowed to vent about spelling and grammar?
it's not like we're lurking in the mississippi forum JUST WAITING for someone to slip so we can attack.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:08 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,726,636 times
Hey, uh, it's not a matter of supreme importance in relation to all world events but...the fact is that "a lot" is two words. Only and always two words. Maybe if enough people continue to mistakenly spell it as one word, then "alot" will be added to the already large arsenal of English words. But this has not yet happened. Until it does, the use of "alot" is as wrong (and as irritating) as the use of other commonly used non-words like "irregardless".

Old 12-12-2007, 12:12 PM

25,105 posts, read 23,005,411 times
I recently read an article that noted the increasing amount of bad grammar, punctuation, misspellings etc. One of the theories for this decline was the computer (boards like this) and text messaging / e-mails.

As a society, are we abbreviating things too much? Are we using partial sentences in order to gain speed or to save some costs?

I found that article quite interesting – it rang a bell to me.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:14 PM

im so happy i know now that a lot is two words. whew! i am thankful to whoever mentioned it because it did always make me pause when i wrote it.
someone should write the book of non-words. im sure it would be very funny and a hit with us word/language people.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:19 PM

18,733 posts, read 20,510,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Um, would that be Peter Noone? I here he has trubel speling and tieping. I hered that alot. Not trying to be mean it just tripped my trigger.

Interesting thread. I find it fascinating that people, in the EDUCATION thread get all uptight when this subject comes up.

Perhaps everyone has forgotten what thread they're in, Bro!

Let's all beat up on affect and effect for awhile.

BTW cannot is the more common, can not is normally used for emphasis.

I cannot spel

You can not go out with that boy

Old 12-12-2007, 12:21 PM

18,733 posts, read 20,510,302 times
I am biting my tongue. I will be nice! I am not a Nazi!

This is like watching a car wreck in slow motion...

Old 12-12-2007, 12:31 PM

yes, affect and effect is ANOTHER ONE!!!!
(i think i'll go to the mississippi forum right now for some good examples to bring back here)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education