Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 12:06 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times

Advertisements

I drew upon 20 year old college classes to finish up my AA Degree many years ago. I joke that it took me 20+ years to get my 2 year degree . It wasn't in sciences, it was Liberal Arts and Sciences (General Studies to be exact). I think much depends on the school and/or specialty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 01:54 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,962,597 times
Don't nurses have annual continuing education requirements? Is this a 5 year recertification?

Old 05-16-2014, 02:04 PM

2,319 posts, read 3,051,235 times
You expect an insurance company to write a medical malpractice policy on you with old outdated education with no proof that you have updated what you learned?

Old 05-16-2014, 02:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Don't nurses have annual continuing education requirements? Is this a 5 year recertification?
In some states yes, but not all. I'm not sure what this is all about. It sounds like the OP wants to go back to school for nursing but her science courses are more than 5 years old.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:35 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
In addition, a refresher course in spelling, grammar and complete sentence construction would not be amiss, particularly if the OP is expected to write reports on her patients, etc. Good communication skills are essential in most fields.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:51 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
In addition, a refresher course in spelling, grammar and complete sentence construction would not be amiss, particularly if the OP is expected to write reports on her patients, etc. Good communication skills are essential in most fields.
Definitely. I work in a nursing program, and we've found that reading levels influence most whether or not a student will do well in the program. We've started looking at the reading level in the entrance exam, more than we look at the comprehensive score.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:09 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Once you start a degree program then you need to continue until you get that degree (whether it be the 2 year or 4 year).

It's up to the schools on how long they will accept credits.
Credits do expire and not just for nursing programs and science classes.
The general timeframe is about 7-10 years, sooner for science and engineering classes as those fields are still evolving.
I find it interesting that degrees never expire but credits do.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:12 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Are you sure? A friend of mine just finished his PhD after being in industry for 10 years and he had to retake almost 2 years of undergrad-masters level coursework. It isn't listed as a hard requirement and the courses weren't for credit, but he he had to do it in order to be allowed into certain upper division courses. This was at Princeton CS department and he was previously at MIT.
I'm sure. You might choose to because a PhD program involves passing a set of qualifying exams that are based on certain grad courses though. If I were to go back, I couldn't pass the qualifiers without auditing the courses the exams are based off of. Fortunately, the university I graduated from allows graduates to audit any course they took as part of their degree program for free so I wouldn't have to pay for the prep work.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:14 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I find it interesting that degrees never expire but credits do.
Me too. It doesn't make much sense.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:51 AM

113 posts, read 212,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary swindle campbell View Post
After five years you have to retake classes in a nursing program and they really need to stop it. The blood would still be red, the vein will still flow the same way after five years. I got a degree in science. Why can't they stop the madness? This would be the fourth time. Really something has to give. I had to raise a family, help my parents, why can't they have some heart?!

Mod note - changed wording for clarity.
Why should someone risk a loved ones life on your outdated skills because you had to raise a family and help your parents? The only person that has to give is you. If you can't meet your educational requirements then you need to find something else to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education