Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 01:04 AM

1,693 posts, read 1,529,915 times

Advertisements

Facebook killed my high school reunion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 06:09 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Very true. The last two attempts at reunions I've seen were total duds. One of them had high school girl drama rekindled with people saying nasty things they were once afraid to say (i.e. you were stuck up/bully/mean/shallow/fake, etc). After not being able to agree on where to go, they ended up with about 20 out of 100 people (5 or 6 of the 20 dropped out in 10th or 11th grade, but still came) meeting at the park and then going to a local burger joint. Yawn. Of course a few people just wanted to have a bonfire in the woods and get drunk...because drinkin' beer is so awesome!

Old 05-18-2014, 06:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Silly article. I am much more willing to go to my HS reunion because of our HS FB group. Through FB, I've gotten back in touch with people from HS and have become much closer to people that I only knew a little bit as a teenager. I am looking forward now to seeing them in person. For those of us that graduated 30 - 40 years ago, there's a lot more history that has occurred and the HS persona's (for the most part) have disappeared. The author of this article graduated 11 years ago - a mere babe in the woods..

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:35 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Silly article. I am much more willing to go to my HS reunion because of our HS FB group. Through FB, I've gotten back in touch with people from HS and have become much closer to people that I only knew a little bit as a teenager. I am looking forward now to seeing them in person. For those of us that graduated 30 - 40 years ago, there's a lot more history that has occurred and the HS persona's (for the most part) have disappeared. The author of this article graduated 11 years ago - a mere babe in the woods..
BINGO! 10 year reunion? Nothing, just repeating the roles from ten years ago. Now, 40 year reunion? I discovered was a great leveler. Facebook allowed me to recognize people. After 40 years, who cared who was in what group? The only groupings by then was who had grandchildren and who didn't.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
BINGO! 10 year reunion? Nothing, just repeating the roles from ten years ago. Now, 40 year reunion? I discovered was a great leveler. Facebook allowed me to recognize people. After 40 years, who cared who was in what group? The only groupings by then was who had grandchildren and who didn't.
Yes -- ten years is still the same pretenders trying to be the cool kids. I would imagine a 40 year one would be better.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:06 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
I'm too lazy to find the image, so just picture grumpycat saying "GOOD!" here.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:32 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Silly article. I am much more willing to go to my HS reunion because of our HS FB group. Through FB, I've gotten back in touch with people from HS and have become much closer to people that I only knew a little bit as a teenager. I am looking forward now to seeing them in person.
Not only that, but Facebook has gotten me in touch with people I didn't care for much in high school, or vice versa, and has given us the opportunity to get to know each other as adults instead of as silly teenagers or one-upmanship-ing 20-somethings. Most of us have been through one hell or another, and those life experiences have really leveled the field.

I discovered one of those women who I basically ignored all though high school lives a few minutes away, and we get together regularly now. It's been a lot of fun - we have this one thing, that happened many years ago, in common, and it's not only bound us together, but also given us the incentive to see what else we have in common.

We're talking about having a "halfway" reunion - 37.5 years - around Thanksgiving or Christmas. Probably nothing more complicated than meeting in a bar, but it will be fun if we do it.

Quote:
For those of us that graduated 30 - 40 years ago, there's a lot more history that has occurred and the HS persona's (for the most part) have disappeared. The author of this article graduated 11 years ago - a mere babe in the woods..
Our reunions didn't get to be much fun until the 15-year, when everyone finally let loose and just had a good time. More people are showing up now, too.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:01 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
My 40th reunion happened because of Facebook!
It was such fun... even for the spouses!

Old 05-19-2014, 03:02 PM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times
My ten year reunion is coming up in September.

The people I care to talk to from high school have my phone number and are free to call or text me at any time. Most live in the same town, so I'm guessing any relationships they want to be maintained can be maintained with or without Facebook or the reunion.

There are a handful of people I'd like to see, but I doubt I'll take any vacation for it. I'm back that way every month as it stands, so there's no reason people can't contact me.

The really stupid thing was having it the weekend BEFORE Labor Day.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:04 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It was such fun... even for the spouses!
This one guy - who I thought was a total dork in high school - got married a year after graduation. I hadn't seen him for 35 years, nor had I ever met his wife. It was so weird (in a good way) - because of Facebook, I felt like I'd known her for years. She's a wonderful person - I like her much better than I like her husband, LOL, even though he's not as much of a dork as he used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education