U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 07:00 PM

553 posts, read 494,559 times

Advertisements

Not sure where to post this, but I suppose at some point it would have to be taught. I struggled through First and Second Grade Spelling, then in Third Grade we started learning dictionary respelling. I was dumbfounded. Why didn't we just write THAT way? Over the years I learned more and made a hobby of collecting alphabets. I learned how other languages managed to spell their words more or less the way they sounded with the same alphabet we have and realized English could do the same. While I was intrigued by various phonetic alphabets I came to realize these would require new typewriters with keyboards too big for the fingers of the human hand to reach all the keys. What we needed was to redefine some of the letters of the alphabet we already have. It would have to be a semiphonetic alphabet rather than a true phonetic alphabet as it would be necessary for each vowel to have two sounds, but many languages did the same. By High School I had it pretty well worked out, with the chief question being do we distingush between the two vowel sounds with accent marks--such as the Romance tongues use--or by following the Germanic languages and writing the long vowels double? I decided it would be more practical to write the long vowels double.

I will re-type the above paragraph in Semiphonetic. Here are the changes:

Vowels:

a = a in "man". aa = "ah".
e = e in "the". ee = e in "bed".
i = i in "in". ii = ee in "need".
o = "aw". oo = "oh".
u = oo in "good". uu = oo in "boo".

ai = y in "my". au = "ow".
ei = "ay".
oi = oy in "boy".
yu = u in "use".

er = "air".

Consonants:

c = "sh".
j = s in "measure".
q = th in "path".
x = th in "the".
tc = ch in "chatter".
dj = j in "jump".

ul = le in "little".
ur = er in "runner".

It would take some getting used to, especially since I have followed the rules of spelling sounds the way they actually are made rather than make exceptions like "ch instead of tc" or "ow instead of au". There will be differences in pronunciation/spelling that may need to be worked out. I've taken it as far as one person can. The rest is up to you. Here is the first paragraph of this post as a sample, and you might want to put your posts in current spelling and then respell as you think it ought to be:

Naat cur hwer tuu poost xis, bet Ai sepooz at sem point it wud hav tuu bii tot. Ai stcreguld qruu Furst and Seekend Greid Speeliin, xeen in Qurd Greid wii staarted lurniin diktcenerii riispeeliin. Ai wez demfaunded. Hwai didn't wii djest rait XAT wei? Oovur xe yiirz Ai lurnd mor and meid ei haabii ev keleektiin alfebeets. Ai lurnd hau exur langweidjez manedjd tuu spel xer wurdz mor or lees xe wei xei saunded wiq xe seim alfebeet wii hav and riilaizd Inglic kud duu xe seim. Hwail Ai wez intcriigd bai veriies faaneetik alfebeets Ai keim tuu riilaiz xiiz wud riikwair nuu taipraiturz wiq kiibordz tuu big for xe fingurz ev xe hyumen hand tuu riitc ol xe kiiz. Hwaat wii niided wez tuu riidiifain sem ev xe leeturz ev xe alfebeet wii olreedii hav. It wud hav tuu bii ei seemaifaaneetiik alfebeet raxur xan ei tcruu faaneetiik alfebeet az it wud bii neeseserii for iitc vaul tuu hav tuu saundz, bet manii langweidjez did xe seim. Bai Hai Skuul Ai had it purtii weel wurkd aut, wiq xe tciif kwestcen biiiin duu wii distignwic biitcwiin xe tuu vaul saundz wiq akseent maarks--setc az xe Roomans tengz yuz--or bai folooiin xe Djurmanik langweidjez and raitiin xe long vaulz debul? Ai diisaided it wud bii mor praktikul tuu rait xe lopng vaulz debul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 12:32 AM

47,533 posts, read 61,759,411 times
That's horrible! Very hard to read -- regular English seems okay to me.

What I think it is - we don't really read by sounding out words, our eyes scan entire phrases or pieces of sentences or whole sentences. Trying to read by sounding out each letter would be very slow reading.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:39 AM

553 posts, read 494,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's horrible! Very hard to read -- regular English seems okay to me.

What I think it is - we don't really read by sounding out words, our eyes scan entire phrases or pieces of sentences or whole sentences. Trying to read by sounding out each letter would be very slow reading.
Then why did we ever give up pictograms?

Hard to read? Anything is the first time.

ghoti.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:52 AM

5,623 posts, read 10,163,879 times
What does a fish have to do with anything?

English simply isn't a consistently phonetic language, and I don't see a way for it to organically become one.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:14 AM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,481,539 times
I've got an even better idea. Why not invent a completely new logical language. Call it something catchy - like "Esperanto".

Sounds like a great idea, let us know.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:44 AM

4,147 posts, read 3,806,991 times
Dude, srsly? Sounds a lot like Klingon.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:50 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,069,913 times
The English language is really dumb in terms of spelling but you would have to kill millions of traditionalists to make any change.

How could spelling bees be any fun without illogical nonsense? I hear they don't have spelling bees in Spanish.

psik

Old 05-28-2014, 12:09 PM

4,147 posts, read 3,806,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
I hear they don't have spelling bees in Spanish.
They don't have them in Chinese either.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:52 PM
bg7

7,697 posts, read 8,481,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
The English language is really dumb in terms of spelling but you would have to kill millions of traditionalists to make any change.

How could spelling bees be any fun without illogical nonsense? I hear they don't have spelling bees in Spanish.

psik
That's the history of English language - some of those words were, originally, pronounced differently, more in line with their current spelling. In addition, the wealth of early written English (not Early or Middle English, necessarily) started putting things down in a hard copy form many centuries ago even though the spoken language evolved on. Add in the cannibalism and consumption of many words from other languages (Inuit words, wholesale adopting of French words etc etc), and a mess is starting to happen.

On top of that, some of the spellings do make sense in view of their French, German or Latin roots.
And if the English hadn't gone around attacking other countries from so many different continents and taking them over, spreading English by force, the language would likely be a lot simpler.

(In addition, you have to wonder why, in America for example, people deliberately mispronounce words. . "Utter" in America is generally pronounced "udder", for example... At least nowadays. Watch a 1930's movie and it is still "utter")

Sure its a little difficult in elementary school but soon becomes second nature to most.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:02 PM

320 posts, read 410,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
That's the history of English language - some of those words were, originally, pronounced differently, more in line with their current spelling. In addition, the wealth of early written English (not Early or Middle English, necessarily) started putting things down in a hard copy form many centuries ago even though the spoken language evolved on. Add in the cannibalism and consumption of many words from other languages (Inuit words, wholesale adopting of French words etc etc), and a mess is starting to happen.

On top of that, some of the spellings do make sense in view of their French, German or Latin roots.
And if the English hadn't gone around attacking other countries from so many different continents and taking them over, spreading English by force, the language would likely be a lot simpler.

(In addition, you have to wonder why, in America for example, people deliberately mispronounce words. . "Utter" in America is generally pronounced "udder", for example... At least nowadays. Watch a 1930's movie and it is still "utter")

Sure its a little difficult in elementary school but soon becomes second nature to most.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or