Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:54 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times

Advertisements

College is worth it for some and not worth it for others. What's important is making the correct decision for yourself and behind honest with yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 12:55 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
I disagree that being a SAHM means college isn't worth it.

I knew one SAHM who had a master's degree. She said that she wanted the assurance that if something happened to her husband (death or divorce or disability) that she would be able to get into teaching.
For ME it was not worth it. I wanted to go to college to become a teacher--- I am one. I just dont get paid.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:47 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
but in reality how many 17 or 18 year old know what they want to be "when they grow up"?
Most don't. I and other women of my generation were told, "You will take typing and business English classes in high school, as well as some bookkeeping. You will get a job as a secretary when you graduate from high school."

Okay, some were told to go into nursing, but you get my drift. We needed a job immediately!

I eventually went on and earned several degrees, paying for them as I went, but I entered college with two years of working at a job I hated. That both motivated me to study/attend classes and kept me from starving and going deeply into debt.

And that is not bad advice today. Pick something employable that the young person has some ability to do and help provide training for him or her. It doesn't matter that he or she may not love it! The point is to get out into the workforce and get some real-world experience.

Sure, they shouldn't loathe it, either, but a lot of youngsters today are clueless and a lot of us can't afford to have a 19-y.o. living in the basement trying to find himself!

Old 05-29-2014, 03:19 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,020 times
It's worth it for those who work their way through college to learn a lucrative trade.

It's not worth it for parents who pay for parties and overeducated entitlement brats who think the world owes them a living.

Certainly not worth debt/slavery to the government.

Yeah, I said trade instead of profession on purpose.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Don't trust losers for advice.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:34 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I'm starting to think that if the young person isn't already motivated to become a/an "X" and it's realistic for him/her to become (name of career or trade), then several adults (parents, relatives, teacher, employers, etc) might be consulted and a decision made from that input.

In most cases, youngsters will have to undergo further training after high school. The question now is what is the best fit for the young person's skill sets vs. his/her chances of making enough money to be independent. Given the immaturity of many youngsters, their desires may or may not be able to be taken into account.

Four-year degree programs are highly expensive and any worth pursuing require a high degree of motivation. I'd rather support a young person in an 18-month certificate program at the community college in something employable, let him or her go do that work, and then see what happens. In the case of something like a CNA, some will like it enough to want to start pursing higher nursing degrees. Others may hate it and want to go into something like accounting. In the meantime, they are earning money, not sleeping away the day in their parent's house.

So, yes, college is worth it if there is a specific, realistic goal in mind. Otherwise, it might be more economically prudent to pursue another course of training.

Added: and the same applies to older people returning to college or going for the first time -- if there is a clear, realistic goal that only that training will prepare the person to do the job (or advance in a career) (for example, getting a CPA), then it's worth it.
College graduates have an unemployment rate 64% lower than that of high school graduates. That includes college graduates of all majors.

College gradates also have average earnings that are 71% higher than that of high school graduates. That includes college graduates of all majors.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Im a SAHM so going to college would not have been worth it, though I did try.
Why wouldn't it have been worth it? There are many studies that show parental educational achievement has positive effects on children. Children with better educated do better in school than children with less educated parents. College is about more than just money, although money is something that is more readily apparent than other less tangible benefits of having an education.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
It's worth it for those who work their way through college to learn a lucrative trade.

It's not worth it for parents who pay for parties and overeducated entitlement brats who think the world owes them a living.

Certainly not worth debt/slavery to the government.

Yeah, I said trade instead of profession on purpose.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Don't trust losers for advice.
This just isn't true. Read the article. College graduates with all majors earn more money than high school graduates. College graduates of all majors also have lower unemployment rates than high school graduates.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:53 PM

412 posts, read 684,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Added: and the same applies to older people returning to college or going for the first time -- if there is a clear, realistic goal that only that training will prepare the person to do the job (or advance in a career) (for example, getting a CPA), then it's worth it.
I disagree. We are living longer and can have multiple careers. Older adults with disposable income and a desire to do something else or those who may have been fired due to age related bias and need a job are a good demographic for college.
Some will go back to college having left without getting a degree, for others this may be something that they have always wanted to do. Lifelong learning is a good thing whether done for a specific job or career or just for the heck of it.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:22 PM

95 posts, read 107,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
But all college students cannot pick the same majors/career paths. You still have to find a niche even in a growing profession. A student cannot look at their career as something that is needed now, but something that will be needed 4+ years from now.
College is still worth it you just have to be smart about it.
we will always need doctors, nurses, pharmaceutics, Cytologist, Histologist, X-ray tech.. etc etc..

Old 05-29-2014, 06:12 PM

412 posts, read 684,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Dragon View Post
we will always need doctors, nurses, pharmaceutics, Cytologist, Histologist, X-ray tech.. etc etc..
Need them yes but there will still be a limited number of positions out there that need to be filled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education