Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:52 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

High school absolutely sucked for me. Went to two high schools and was an outcast at both who got bullied by terrorist high schoolers. I was so happy to be done but scared to say could life get any worse from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 08:37 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Since it is graduation season, I thought I'd ask a very interesting question: When you were a junior in high school, were you jealous of the seniors graduating, were you happy that there was a year left, or were you so in love with high school that you wished that it was even longer than four years?
I was so eager I dropped out!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:31 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
Since it is graduation season, I thought I'd ask a very interesting question: When you were a junior in high school, were you jealous of the seniors graduating, were you happy that there was a year left, or were you so in love with high school that you wished that it was even longer than four years?

Not very. To me it was just a stepping stone in a long term process. Maybe it's because I came from a family where even my great grandparents were high school graduates (I know I teach some kids now who are the first in their family to graduate high school) but to me it wasn't a big deal. My parents treated it as one but not me. Same was true for college. In both cases I would've been just as happy if they mailed me the diploma. Especially college. I worked a 12 hour security shift the night before my 8 am graduation and still to this day would've traded in sleep for the ceremony any day.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:39 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Was not thrilled, because I was accepted to go to a college I did not particularly want to go to. Couldn't afford to go anywhere else though. Was ready to graduate, just not to go to a huge state U. from going to a very small private h.s. Worst mistake ever, it was like throwing a goldfish into a sharktank.
Ended up transferring out after 2 years and into a small private school which was night and day for me. Best thing I ever did.

Graduation ceremonies were good, had several because I was in NHS so we had that one, and the regular one. I do remember that summer after graduating being REALLY fun, lots of beach-time

Old 06-01-2014, 11:47 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Was not thrilled, because I was accepted to go to a college I did not particularly want to go to. Couldn't afford to go anywhere else though. Was ready to graduate, just not to go to a huge state U. from going to a very small private h.s. Worst mistake ever, it was like throwing a goldfish into a sharktank.
Ended up transferring out after 2 years and into a small private school which was night and day for me. Best thing I ever did.

Graduation ceremonies were good, had several because I was in NHS so we had that one, and the regular one. I do remember that summer after graduating being REALLY fun, lots of beach-time

i do remember the 3 weeks of post - graduation parties that were held. seemed like for the entire month of june that someone different was having their grad party each day. my mom had arbys cater mine haha. we had enough arbys sauce left over to last us til christmas haha.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:19 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
I think I was pretty happy to graduate because it was a good achievement and was a nice milestone. I didn't dislike high school though, particularly the last two years. I had a good time the last two years of high school.

Still, I was burned out senior year and ready to move on. My grades slipped and I was getting into some trouble for cutting classes, fooling around in the library, etc. and I was in detention a lot that last year. It didn't really bother me until the weather started getting nice and I had to knock it off since I wanted my afternoons free to take advantage of the good weather. I had become a big drinker by senior year and I skipped classes sometimes to have liquid lunches with some of my friends (in addition to getting hammered every weekend). I took pleasure in defying school rules in the last 2 years, after having behaved pretty well the first two years of high school.

So in the end, I had mixed feelings about graduating. College was a whole new world, of course, but high school was a lot of fun. All in all, it was a very good time in life, both before and after graduating high school.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:30 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
I was totally sick of studying by the time I got out of high school. I knew that I wanted to go to college...eventually...and even knew that I wanted to be in the health field. I just needed a break and to grow up a little bit. I graduated at 17, so I was young. I took several night classes at our local college, but it took me 9 years to go back to college full time. I'm glad I waited, although most people don't need that long of a break.
I was so done with high school studying by senior year. Our senior program was significantly different from the first three years, with much more independent study/reading and paper writing required, as opposed to just doing homework as in the first three years.

Ridiculous as it sounds, what saved me academically senior year was the fact that I was in detention on a regular basis. We were forced to sit there for extended periods of time without talking, and schoolwork was the only thing we could do to pass the time. Without that disciplined environment that allowed no other options, it would have been really hard for me to focus.

Once I got to college, I had no problem studying -- until senior year.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:35 PM

550 posts, read 965,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
High school absolutely sucked for me. Went to two high schools and was an outcast at both who got bullied by terrorist high schoolers. I was so happy to be done but scared to say could life get any worse from here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Since I was bullied in high school, I couldn't wait to get out of that House of Torture!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I was practically PETRIFIED. As much as I hated my school (100% minorities, in a backward rural 'community', in the poorest state), I had no idea what lay ahead for me.

I had endured a decade of bullying, including physical attacks...
So sorry that you were all bullied. It's something I've never gone through, thankfully. My big fear is that one of my kids will end up experiencing it, whether they are bullied or they become bullies themselves.

I remember one of my HS reunions, when I ran into a friend, I told him that I was looking forward to seeing how everyone's been doing, to which he replied, "I'm here to let all the bullies know how well I've been doing since high school." (He is a very successful MD and loves what he does, from what I can tell.)

Last edited by stradivarius; 06-04-2014 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: Added sentence.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I can't remember but do not have a memory of wanting to leave school. I do clearly remember I was both sad and excited to leave high school tho. Sad because of great memories and seeing many friends for last time. Excited to get to college and on with my life. Basically I just took it as leaving one phase of my life and on to another. High school was different since I was leaving a group I'd known and lived great times with since five years old.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:27 PM

589 posts, read 696,295 times
I was ready to graduate in 9th grade. By Junior year I was counting the days. All I could think about the was freedom you get when you graduate and being able to do whatever you wanted.

When I graduated and moved away I missed my family and friends more than I thought I would. But nothing beat not having my parents breathing down my neck every minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education