Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:15 AM

73 posts, read 178,031 times

Advertisements

You may agree or disagree with these statements. I am a parent that tries to stay involved with the school as well as reading up on local and national education trends.

Here are some of my observations on and about schools, parents and administration from the point of view of a middle-class working area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just like any work place, there are good employees and not so good employees. Teachers are still employees. Stop defending each other because I’m sure you know of someone who doesn’t pull their weight.

Just because you like kids doesn’t make you a teacher. A teacher must love the act of teaching, not just to whom they teach it too. Study up and make yourself the best presenter you can be.

Many teachers don’t utilize the resources they have. Have you asked for volunteers? Items for your class? Get no response? Keep asking and then ask some more. Not now doesn’t mean not never. Don’t assume what you don’t get today isn’t what you might get tomorrow. If you have 20 kids in a class you have 20+ adult resources that could potentially help you. Learn to become a 3 ring circus leader: children, parents and yourself as role of teacher.

Many administrators are worried more about the school image than actually taking note of what actually will help their school, even if it means being the bad guy. Any teachers out there agree to this?

Has anyone noticed that learning the basics of what sound letters make has gone away? How are children suppose to sound out words if they don’t know? They will never progress to reading if they don’t have the basic tools of character and sound recognition. Teachers, if you have children with reading problems this may be a place to start working instead of expecting a child to read.

Schools too often “label” children. If we grow up being who we are suppose to be then I guess that’s who we are suppose to be, right?

All disciplinary problem kids are not a result of their parents, teachers or environment. Find out first before accusing the other of misdoing.

Teaching is a great job. Show me another job out of college with benefits and 2-3 months of vaction. Most of us work our tails off with overtime 12 months out of the year.

Many teachers are TOO NICE. They tell parents what they think they want to hear instead of actually pointing parents in the right direction. Don’t worry about insulting us or hurting our feelings. You can be educating without being insulting.

Many teachers don’t ask what’s going on at home before deciding that the parent’s aren’t playing their role. Parent’s have you ever been accused of not helping enough before even being asked of what you are doing? That is insulting. Ask first and then offer suggestions.

Many teachers will assume that if a child is struggling in school it must be the parent’s fault. Many parents will assume that if a child is struggling in school it must be the teacher’s fault. Neither party will confront each other.

Too often it is not a team effort between the school, teacher and parent.

Too many schools have thrown out any set standards that kids need to follow. Instead of the adults leading the children it has become the children leading the adults. Where’s the discipline and accountability?

Money does not fix schools, people fix schools. Look at some of today’s celebrities. Money hasn’t done some of them any good. A great looking school does nothing when the basic needs at home aren't being met.

Kids fall through cracks because someone wasn’t being honest or caring enough. Either parents for not being involved or school staff who know there’s a problem but don’t research it further: learning different, at home issues, being honest with parents, finding resources, etc.

Schools have been taught not to think outside the box. Imagine if this happened in business.

Anyone that has school age children knows that more than 20 kids in a class is too many. Parents will complain and teachers are burned out and ultimately the kids suffer. But in the end, nobody educates the parents on how they can get involved and change it. Have you ever been invited to a school or district meeting? Many schools do very little to educate their parent body about how to make a difference in their school outside of the classroom. Again, everybody wants to complain but those with the resources to educate and make a difference aren’t utilizing them to their fullest potential. Administrators, get your parent body involved. There is a good chance parents would be involved, but how will they know they can be involved outside of the school if you don’t show them?

Whatever happened to voting? Next time you want to complain about the state of the schools I hope you voted in the last election and took time to research candidates on where they stand on school issues. Better yet, write to them and let your voice be heard. They are, in fact, suppose to be a representation of your community. Are they representing you well?

Where is the administration in the classrooms? As a regular parent volunteer I never see the administration in the classrooms. Hmmm… logic tells me that in any other work place environment there is always a manager hanging over someone at some point in time looking to offer criticism, and hopefully in a good environment, encouragement. Where’s the management in the classroom?

Think about why charter & private schools have become so popular and then ask a school union their opinion on it. Then go visit a charter or private school that is actually having huge successes and then decide for yourself what makes sense.

People who don’t care about the state of our education system are not the ones reading this blog. They are the problem. Whether you agree or disagree with anything I wrote here you cared enough to read through this very long post. That speaks volumes. I hope you think outside the box to better your school in some way shape or form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 10:53 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,137 times
I think there are probably a lot of teachers who wished more parents thought along the lines you do. The one thing I really agree with is the administrators caring more about how the school appears than what it offers the kids. My husband works as a project manager for a construction company and does a lot of work with school construction. The things he tells me just gets under my skin. One district spent hundreds of thousands just to make this huge ornate foyer for the school. I asked him if he thought maybe that money would have been better spent on additional classrooms so that the kids were all cramped in the ones there. Just stupid stuff like that. But "it's for the kids". Give me a break.

I agree with a lot of what you said. Hopefully, when my daughter gets to school, I'll be able to work with her teachers so she and they succeed.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:37 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,611 times
[quote=slumberval;2252318]You may agree or disagree with these statements. I am a parent that tries to stay involved with the school as well as reading up on local and national education trends.

Here are some of my observations on and about schools, parents and administration from the point of view of a middle-class working area.

Just like any work place, there are good employees and not so good employees. Teachers are still employees. Stop defending each other because I’m sure you know of someone who doesn’t pull their weight.[quote=slumberval;2252318]

Yes of course I do know plenty of people like that. I would never defend them. I defend the people who put down the profession, say that we are all like that, say that we have a golden job.....

[quote=slumberval;2252318]Just because you like kids doesn’t make you a teacher. A teacher must love the act of teaching, not just to whom they teach it too. Study up and make yourself the best presenter you can be.[quote=slumberval;2252318]
Agree.

[quote=slumberval;2252318]Many teachers don’t utilize the resources they have. Have you asked for volunteers? Items for your class? Get no response? Keep asking and then ask some more. Not now doesn’t mean not never. Don’t assume what you don’t get today isn’t what you might get tomorrow. If you have 20 kids in a class you have 20+ adult resources that could potentially help you. Learn to become a 3 ring circus leader: children, parents and yourself as role of teacher.[quote=slumberval;2252318]

I have to much to do within my day to constantly beg and beg parents. I am not their babysitters. I put out the request. I try to offer the hand. If it can't happen on the parents part, it is up to them to tell me they are now available. A 3 ring circus leader is more than begging parents for THEIR help.

[quote=slumberval;2252318]Many administrators are worried more about the school image than actually taking note of what actually will help their school, even if it means being the bad guy. Any teachers out there agree to this?[quote=slumberval;2252318] True at many schools.

[quote=slumberval;2252318]Has anyone noticed that learning the basics of what sound letters make has gone away? How are children suppose to sound out words if they don’t know? They will never progress to reading if they don’t have the basic tools of character and sound recognition. Teachers, if you have children with reading problems this may be a place to start working instead of expecting a child to read.[quote=slumberval;2252318]
Not true at my district. We spent tons on an excellent phonics program, which is why our scores are what they are. We believe in phonics, so I cannot say that the basics of what sound letters make have gone away. In another school I taught in a different state, while they didn't use this phonics program, they still did phonics. So I don't agree.
[quote=slumberval;2252318]Schools too often “label” children. If we grow up being who we are suppose to be then I guess that’s who we are suppose to be, right? [quote=slumberval;2252318]
True and not true. Sometimes kids are wrongly labeled...sometimes even by doctors...but then sometimes children are correctly labeled. It doesn't change who they are meant to be, but who they are meant to be now won't hinder their learning as much because we know what is wrong and are trying to find measures to work with it.

[quote=slumberval;2252318]All disciplinary problem kids are not a result of their parents, teachers or environment. Find out first before accusing the other of misdoing.[quote=slumberval;2252318]
That's what I do.

[quote=slumberval;2252318]Teaching is a great job. Show me another job out of college with benefits and 2-3 months of vaction. Most of us work our tails off with overtime 12 months out of the year.[quote=slumberval;2252318]
Yeah, my husband has to work overtime. Hey, he gets paid for it. We don't. I work the same hours as him during the school year....he works over 50, but I do not get paid for it. He does. Plus he makes more than me to begin with, yet isn't held accountable for so many lives. Then again, this arguement is pointless because it is spoken about for so long...we teachers prove exactly what we do during the summer....other people disagree....oh well.

[quote=slumberval;2252318]Many teachers are TOO NICE. They tell parents what they think they want to hear instead of actually pointing parents in the right direction. Don’t worry about insulting us or hurting our feelings. You can be educating without being insulting. [quote=slumberval;2252318]
Some are. Some aren't. Where is your positivity?

[quote=slumberval;2252318]Many teachers don’t ask what’s going on at home before deciding that the parent’s aren’t playing their role. Parent’s have you ever been accused of not helping enough before even being asked of what you are doing? That is insulting. Ask first and then offer suggestions.[quote=slumberval;2252318]
Why do I have to ask after 4 months of a child never do his homework? I send home notes requesting homework to be completed....suchandsuch wasn't done....sometimes the notes aren't even signed....leave messages and no return phone call...we do try to involve parents but we are not their babysitter, we are there to work with parents but not to coddle them...parents, something is going on in your child's life....it is your responsibility to let the teacher know. Not everything is going to get handed to you. Oh yeah, I'm a parent too.

[quote=slumberval;2252318]Many teachers will assume that if a child is struggling in school it must be the parent’s fault. Many parents will assume that if a child is struggling in school it must be the teacher’s fault. Neither party will confront each other.[quote=slumberval;2252318]
At my school we have to confront each other because we have to have a meeting when a child is struggling.

[quote=slumberval;2252318]Too often it is not a team effort between the school, teacher and parent.[quote=slumberval;2252318]
Yep, so true.

[quote=slumberval;2252318]Too many schools have thrown out any set standards that kids need to follow. Instead of the adults leading the children it has become the children leading the adults. Where’s the discipline and accountability?[quote=slumberval;2252318]
I have no idea where this is coming from. I haven't yet worked in a school where the children ruled.

[quote=slumberval;2252318]Money does not fix schools, people fix schools. Look at some of today’s celebrities. Money hasn’t done some of them any good. A great looking school does nothing when the basic needs at home aren't being met.[quote=slumberval;2252318] Yep, true. So get the basic needs at home together, or is that my responsibility too?

[quote=slumberval;2252318]Kids fall through cracks because someone wasn’t being honest or caring enough. Either parents for not being involved or school staff who know there’s a problem but don’t research it further: learning different, at home issues, being honest with parents, finding resources, etc. [quote=slumberval;2252318] True.

[quote=slumberval;2252318]Schools have been taught not to think outside the box. Imagine if this happened in business.[quote=slumberval;2252318] Once again, do not know what this means. We are trying to instill creativity and be more hands on.......

[quote=slumberval;2252318]Anyone that has school age children knows that more than 20 kids in a class is too many. Parents will complain and teachers are burned out and ultimately the kids suffer. But in the end, nobody educates the parents on how they can get involved and change it. Have you ever been invited to a school or district meeting? Many schools do very little to educate their parent body about how to make a difference in their school outside of the classroom. Again, everybody wants to complain but those with the resources to educate and make a difference aren’t utilizing them to their fullest potential. Administrators, get your parent body involved. There is a good chance parents would be involved, but how will they know they can be involved outside of the school if you don’t show them?[quote=slumberval;2252318] Ever hear of PTO? Parents will or parents won't.

[quote=slumberval;2252318]Where is the administration in the classrooms? As a regular parent volunteer I never see the administration in the classrooms. Hmmm… logic tells me that in any other work place environment there is always a manager hanging over someone at some point in time looking to offer criticism, and hopefully in a good environment, encouragement. Where’s the management in the classroom?[quote=slumberval;2252318]
Well, at my school some form of administration walks in my class at least every other day. They are walking through the cafeteria to check up. At my old school in another state, the principal walked in every single day. But they shouldn't be permanent. They are not the teachers. They have other jobs to deal with. They are administration. The teachers manage the classrooms.

Last edited by Mrs.Bewitched; 12-14-2007 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Quote didn't work!

Old 12-14-2007, 03:24 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,243,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumberval View Post
You may agree or disagree with these statements. I am a parent that tries to stay involved with the school as well as reading up on local and national education trends.

Just like any work place, there are good employees and not so good employees. Teachers are still employees. Stop defending each other because I’m sure you know of someone who doesn’t pull their weight.
True, but also true in any business.

Quote:
Just because you like kids doesn’t make you a teacher. A teacher must love the act of teaching, not just to whom they teach it too. Study up and make yourself the best presenter you can be. .
True again. But just because you are a parent doesn't mean that you know exactly what teachers should be doing.

Quote:
Many teachers don’t utilize the resources they have. Have you asked for volunteers? Items for your class? Get no response? Keep asking and then ask some more. Not now doesn’t mean not never. Don’t assume what you don’t get today isn’t what you might get tomorrow. If you have 20 kids in a class you have 20+ adult resources that could potentially help you. Learn to become a 3 ring circus leader: children, parents and yourself as role of teacher..
Many teachers do utilize every resource they have and end up spending a lot of their own money to make sure their students have everything. My friend spend over $500 of her own money because her school did not have money for supplies, the parents will not volunteer, nor do they have money for supplies, and the kids needed things. It's a HUGE assumption that other parents are as invested in education as you are. I'm a therapist at a school. Of the 10 children I see regularly for therapy, I've only met with 2 parents, ever (not for a lack of trying!). They just all aren't interested.

Quote:
Many administrators are worried more about the school image than actually taking note of what actually will help their school, even if it means being the bad guy. Any teachers out there agree to this?
This is the same as any business. You worry about the image; however, the majority of administrators I work with try to help the school the best they can.

Quote:
Has anyone noticed that learning the basics of what sound letters make has gone away? How are children suppose to sound out words if they don’t know? They will never progress to reading if they don’t have the basic tools of character and sound recognition. Teachers, if you have children with reading problems this may be a place to start working instead of expecting a child to read.
I've never noticed this. It's also important for parents to help their child in reading, but yes, the schools should too.

Quote:
Schools too often “label” children. If we grow up being who we are suppose to be then I guess that’s who we are suppose to be, right?
This isn't just school. Society labels people. Regarding labels in school, there are good and bad. Many kids need to receive diagnoses (or labels) in order to receive appropriate services. Are they every mis-used? Yes! Are they sometimes necessary? Yes!

Quote:
All disciplinary problem kids are not a result of their parents, teachers or environment. Find out first before accusing the other of misdoing.
True, but most displinary problems are caused by something in the environment (or are at least exacerbated by it!).

Quote:
Teaching is a great job. Show me another job out of college with benefits and 2-3 months of vaction. Most of us work our tails off with overtime 12 months out of the year.
I'm not even going to touch this. OK, I am. I completely disagree with this. You obviously don't have an understanding of how much work teachers usually put in during the week, on their own time (unpaid) and over the summer, as well as how little they are actually paid for how important of a job it is!

Quote:
Many teachers are TOO NICE. They tell parents what they think they want to hear instead of actually pointing parents in the right direction. Don’t worry about insulting us or hurting our feelings. You can be educating without being insulting.
Some are too nice, some aren't nice enough. This is a huge overstatement,

Quote:
Many teachers don’t ask what’s going on at home before deciding that the parent’s aren’t playing their role. Parent’s have you ever been accused of not helping enough before even being asked of what you are doing? That is insulting. Ask first and then offer suggestions.
You just said above that teachers are too nice and tell parents what they want to hear...doesn't this contradict that?

Quote:
Many teachers will assume that if a child is struggling in school it must be the parent’s fault. Many parents will assume that if a child is struggling in school it must be the teacher’s fault. Neither party will confront each other.
I would say that actually usually the parties do confront eachother, but yes, there might be finger pointing. Most teachers I know would be more concerned that there is an LD or something rather than finger pointing.

Quote:
Too often it is not a team effort between the school, teacher and parent.
True

Quote:
Too many schools have thrown out any set standards that kids need to follow. Instead of the adults leading the children it has become the children leading the adults. Where’s the discipline and accountability?
Actually, this is the opposite. Schools now have too many standards that are mandated by the government that actually has put way too much structure on education. They are held accountable (by law) for the way their students perform. Some teachers may not have enough discipline, but learning to follow rules also needs to come from the parents at home. The teachers can't do everything.

Quote:
Money does not fix schools, people fix schools. Look at some of today’s celebrities. Money hasn’t done some of them any good. A great looking school does nothing when the basic needs at home aren't being met.
It's true that you need to do good with the money, but actually money would fix many schools. More money means better programing, better teachers, schools with actual books (yes, many don't have these), schools with actual supplies.....

Quote:
Kids fall through cracks because someone wasn’t being honest or caring enough. Either parents for not being involved or school staff who know there’s a problem but don’t research it further: learning different, at home issues, being honest with parents, finding resources, etc.
In order for a child to fall through the cracks, both the parents and teachers would really have to drop the ball. It happens though.

Quote:
Schools have been taught not to think outside the box. Imagine if this happened in business.
Again, the federal government (with no child left behind) has basically forced schools to not think outside the box.

Quote:
Anyone that has school age children knows that more than 20 kids in a class is too many. Parents will complain and teachers are burned out and ultimately the kids suffer. But in the end, nobody educates the parents on how they can get involved and change it. Have you ever been invited to a school or district meeting? Many schools do very little to educate their parent body about how to make a difference in their school outside of the classroom. Again, everybody wants to complain but those with the resources to educate and make a difference aren’t utilizing them to their fullest potential. Administrators, get your parent body involved. There is a good chance parents would be involved, but how will they know they can be involved outside of the school if you don’t show them?
If you are interested in helping, you can also seek this out yourself. Why would you wait for someone to come to you and tell you how when you can find this out yourself. Also, schools with more money can have fewer kids in classes...so I think you are contradicting yourself because this shows that money does make a difference.

Quote:
Whatever happened to voting? Next time you want to complain about the state of the schools I hope you voted in the last election and took time to research candidates on where they stand on school issues. Better yet, write to them and let your voice be heard. They are, in fact, suppose to be a representation of your community. Are they representing you well?
That's good. But also make sure that you do more research on what their position means. In other words, No Child Left Behind sounds great on paper, but what it really means for education is really different and not so great.

Quote:
Where is the administration in the classrooms? As a regular parent volunteer I never see the administration in the classrooms. Hmmm… logic tells me that in any other work place environment there is always a manager hanging over someone at some point in time looking to offer criticism, and hopefully in a good environment, encouragement. Where’s the management in the classroom?
In every school I've ever worked in there is administrative involvement in the classroom.

Quote:
Think about why charter & private schools have become so popular and then ask a school union their opinion on it. Then go visit a charter or private school that is actually having huge successes and then decide for yourself what makes sense.
I don't understand this.....

Quote:
People who don’t care about the state of our education system are not the ones reading this blog. They are the problem. Whether you agree or disagree with anything I wrote here you cared enough to read through this very long post. That speaks volumes. I hope you think outside the box to better your school in some way shape or form.
Good.

I just feel that you definitly have your heart in the right place, but if you want to become more involved, become more involved without expecting to be invited. Also having respect for teachers, rather than stereotyping about what "most" of them do and suggesting how they do their jobs, can lead to better relationships and collaboration, which can then help the children more.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:43 PM

Mrshvo,

Sounds like you are an outstanding and caring teacher and that you have a wonderful advantage of working in a great school district.

I have been fortunate enough to have our son go to an AMAZING public charter school with very hands on teachers and parents. It was great cooperation on all sides and teachers and parents were ready to put aside trivial issues and be progressive together.

Much of what you describe is how things should be, but unfortunately they are not always.

We have since moved out of state into a state that is reputable as having a lousy school system. We moved into an area that is suppose to be one of the best school district in the state. I have been sadly disappointed and I'm still trying to figure out why this is a great school district.

I love the fact that you said you send notes home but better yet (and this is SO important) that you call. As a parent, it would mean SO much to me if our son's teacher called to talk to us. Communication between teacher and parent is so important but so often goes to the way side by either party.

So many times negativity gets confused with reality. The sad fact is reality can be sad and if you so call it, negative so be it. I have seen both sides of the coin and coming from a school that really functioned well as a community to one that, although is nice and has extremely friendly staff, the sad reality is it doesn't function well. The fact is many schools, for whatever reason (lousy leadership, parental involvement, burnt out teachers) do not function well as a community. If that gets called negative that is glossing over the problem at hand in many areas and ignoring the real issues and in the end doing a huge disservice to our kids.

You say get involved in PTO. When I first got here that was the first thing I did, sign up with PTO- no joke- day 1. I have never heard from them. This last week I attended a holiday function at the school and they decided to approve minutes before the show. The minutes were from a meeting that happened back in September- nearly 4 months ago.

I do my part in school volunteering several days a week, donating requested items (which by the way, sometimes is a few weeks after the teacher has asked for it) and writing my local elected officials and voting. It sounds like you do a great job on your part by staying involved in your children's lives and attempting a fruitless relationship with parents.

Your positive experiences in the school system are great, its just unfortunate more people don't have that experience. If you don't believe me, all you have to do is read the thread upon thread of disappointed parents and teachers on this board.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:07 PM

847 posts, read 3,518,987 times
Quote:
Oh, this argument again. Why do people keep bringing this up, do they really not get it?
Do you get paid for your overtime? Do you actually get paid a decent salary?
You know this but, teachers work year round, the summer is spent attending conferences and planning for next year and teachers work well beyond each school day during the year, grading papers and planning into the night at home on their own time, and not being paid.
People really continue to amuse me with this argument. Where I work, the teachers work until the beginning of July and they are expected back in the middle of August. Now, I am not a mathematician BUT, that, to me, seems like 1 1/2 months, I am not sure where you live that teachers are getting off for 2-3 months.

My main point to this comment always is this. You chose your career knowing that you would work 12 months, if you don't like it, get another job. We chose ours knowing that we would work, in school for 10 1/2 months and at home for 1 1/2. You choose yours, we choose ours.
Teachers work hard, stop trying to make them feel like they are not working as hard as the rest of the world.

You do make several good points about education and sound like an involved parent but please, do not be one of the people who tries to use this argument for any purpose.

Last edited by novanative75; 12-14-2007 at 04:16 PM..

Old 12-14-2007, 04:11 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,311,817 times

You raise a lot of issues, but this one I just need to answer. FIRST of all, teachers do NOT get 2-3 months of vacation. They are paid over a 12 month period, so their salary reflects that. Additionally, there are plenty of training classes that meet over the summer. Need I say that a teacher's hours are NOT 8-4. There is lesson planning, grading and department/grade level meetings. It's a job like any other. If it were so advantageous to be a teacher, why doesn't EVERYONE want to teach? Um, think on that. You know, supply and demand??

Old 12-14-2007, 04:16 PM

So if you chose your profession for a reason why is it that so many times I hear about teachers who are disappointed in their work hours?

BTW- At home mom's don't get recognized in the least bit and I'm pretty sure we work some over time.

For the record, I do recognize how much they work, tirelessly at that, throughout school year, nights and weekends. My experience has been from several immediate family members that are teachers and many of my teacher clientle has been that they take summers off for a much needed break.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:22 PM

847 posts, read 3,518,987 times
Quote:
So if you chose your profession for a reason why is it that so many times I hear about teachers who are disappointed in their work hours?

BTW- At home mom's don't get recognized in the least bit and I'm pretty sure we work some over time.

For the record, I do recognize how much they work, tirelessly at that, throughout school year, nights and weekends. My experience has been from several immediate family members that are teachers and many of my teacher clientle has been that they take summers off for a much needed break.
I have never met a teacher who is disappointed in their works hours, in fact over and over again I hear, around school, that teachers love the schedule as it enables them to pick up their kids after school, go to games, volunteer, etc. It is the perfect job for the working parent.

Teaching is a career where you work and are paid, being an at home mom, although challenging and difficult, is not a career. Of course you work 'overtime' but there are teachers that are moms too, raising kids and running a family, is that considered double overtime? How would you like to be recognized? I do not get recognized for my work at school but am not in it for recognition, I am in it because I love kids. I am not looking for awards, etc.
If anything, and read this board if you don't agree, teachers are criticized over and over, nothing we do is good enough. If you think we are bathing in recognition, you are sorely mistaken.

Oh, in response to your point about teachers 'taking' summers off for a much needed break. Sure, we find time to relax. That is our vacation, we do not get 3-4 weeks, or whatever it is, like business people. But, here is my real question, if people want to be teachers, they can not work in the schools for 12 months because school is closed, so what do you propose they do? Here are people that give their heart and soul to kids for 10 months out of the year and would probably do it for 12 if it was an option but it isn't so can people please stop making teachers 'look bad' because they do not work (although we all know they are working at home) in school for 12 months. IT IS NOT AN OPTION. You make it sound like we are taking long vacations and leaving the kids in the dust? Should we give up our passion and careers so we can have 'real' jobs that work all year round? I know a lot of teachers who also have summer jobs because they need the money, since, as you know we are paid crap.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:22 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,159,934 times
Quote:

YEP.
Quote:

With all due respect, what happens far too often -- and what leaves teachers feeling once-burnt-twice-shy -- is that when one does tell parents the truth, it's met with outright denial, counteraccusation, and the occasional threat or retributive gesture of going to your principal or the superintendent to complain about you.

That only needs to happen about one time for most teachers to realize that what too many parents want to hear isn't the truth. The minute a kid's grade drops below a C, that's when teachers know that their butts need to be covered and covered again. Not only do they need to defend their teaching against the accusations of students and their parents, but occasionally against administrators as well. Quite obviously, some teachers teach poorly and the accusations are necessary and justified. Far more often, though, the student or parent is looking for a reason for academic failure that doesn't involve admitting any personal failure on the part of the student. That's regrettable.

Quote:

See my response above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education