Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 05:10 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times

Advertisements

Why are schools so devoid of common sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 06:37 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Why are schools so devoid of common sense?
The ones that are devoid of common sense are the ones that we hear about in this forum. What would we talk about without the strange ones?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-07-2014 at 07:32 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 06:43 PM

17,603 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
If it isnt allowed to be brought to school then they can always apply it before school and leave the bottle at home. Besides, one day (if that) in the sun isnt going to cause skin cancer.
1.San Antonio Texas
2. Six hour long field trip
3. Sunscreen needs to be reappointed every few hours.
4. How can the school nurse reapply student's sunscreen on a six hour field trip from her office

NO COMMON SENSE IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS!

Old 06-06-2014, 06:52 PM

Normal clothing does not protect fair skin people from sunburn. There are specially treated clothing to protect from sunburn but they protection washes out after a few times in the wash. Even umbrellas aren't good protection. There are special umbrellas that block UV rays but they're hard to find in stores.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Normal clothing does not protect fair skin people from sunburn. There are specially treated clothing to protect from sunburn but they protection washes out after a few times in the wash. Even umbrellas aren't good protection. There are special umbrellas that block UV rays but they're hard to find in stores.
actually, the protection is not generally just from chemicals and washing does not seem to affect the protection.

Sun Protection Clothing Basics

Quote:
How Sun Protection Clothing Works

Q: What makes some fabrics more effective at disrupting UV rays than others?

A: There are a variety of factors:

Construction: Dense, tight construction (either weaves or knits) minimizes the spaces between yarns, which in turn minimizes the amount of UV light that can pass through. Some tightly constructed UPF-rated garments use vents to boost air circulation and help the wearer stay cool. Thicker fabrics also help reduce UV transmission.
Dyes: It is the specific type of dye (and the concentration in which it is used) that impacts a fabric's UV transmission, not its color. Some dyes deflect more UV radiation than others, and some absorb none at all—including black dyes. How can one know what kind of dyes are used in individual garments? The only tip-off is if the garment carries a UPF rating. Clothing engineered for UV protection may use high concentrations of premium dyes that disrupt UV light. Such dyes include "conjugated" molecules that disrupt UV radiation. The higher the concentration of such dyes, the darker the garment becomes. But ultimately color has no influence on UV rays. Note: Pigment-dyed fabrics, which include a resin that creates a powdery look and feel, get high marks for UV protection.
Treatments: Chemicals effective at absorbing UV light may be added during processing. Specialized laundry additives, which include optical brightening agents and newly developed UV-disrupting compounds, can boost a garment's UPF rating.
Fiber type: Polyester does an excellent job at disrupting UV light (due to hydrogen- and carbon-based benzene rings within the polymer). Nylon is good. Wool and silk are moderately effective. Cotton, rayon, flax and hemp fabrics (natural fibers composed of cellulose polymers) often score low without added treatments. However, unbleached or naturally colored cotton performs better at interacting with UV light than bleached cotton.
Stretch: If a garment is stretched 10% or more beyond its normal dimensions, spaces between yarns are widened and its effectiveness against UV light may be reduced up to 40%.
Wetness: A fabric's ability to disrupt UV radiation is usually reduced when wet, though the reasons why are not completely understood. Wetness may cause a 30% to 50% reduction in a fabric's UPF rating.
Condition: Worn or faded fabrics are less effective against UV light.
Quote:
Q: How does laundering affect UPF-rated clothing?

A: A study paper on the effects of repeated laundering of UPF-rated clothing was published in November, 1998, in Textile Chemist and Colorist, an industry journal.

The paper's conclusions assert that "repeated home launderings (regardless of whether or not the detergent contains an OBA [optical brightening agent, the compound commonly found in household detergents, mainly to "keep whites white"]) does not reduce the UPF rating of a woven or knitted fabric of cotton, polyester, or nylon. On the contrary UPF ratings are enhanced or remain unchanged by repeated launderings up to 20 times."

Old 06-06-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
actually, the protection is not generally just from chemicals and washing does not seem to affect the protection.

Sun Protection Clothing Basics
I'm skeptical of industry studies on the product they market.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:18 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times
While I was reading this thread, I was astonished that schools actually take their students to water parks for field trips. Now that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

When I went on field trips they were usually to historical sites and museums, although we did visit a children's zoo one time . . .

Field trips were supposed to be educational. New Jersey is filled with Revolutionary War history -- George Washington slept everywhere , and there is also Thomas Edison . . . Fortunately I loved history.

As for field day, I did everything I could to stay home that day. I was terrible at sports and it was pure torture for me . . . I did everything I could not to participate if I did happen to be in school that day. When events would happen, I was usually hiding in the bathroom. This did not make me popular with teachers, but how you can force someone to participate in what is supposed to be "fun" is beyond me . . .

BTW, I am a blonde and I sunburn very, very easily. My skin is so sensitive I can only use sunblock for sensitive skin (I also have to use laundry detergent and fabric softener for sensitive skin).

Old 06-06-2014, 07:46 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
My daughter's elementary school doesn't allow sunscreen either. She came home pretty red on the day it was needed. We had applied sunscreen before she went.

Not all schools allow the kids to wear hats. People also complain when you dress your child in long sleeves even though it blocks the sun better and keeps him cooler than short sleeves.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:06 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
While I was reading this thread, I was astonished that schools actually take their students to water parks for field trips. Now that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

When I went on field trips they were usually to historical sites and museums, although we did visit a children's zoo one time . . .

Field trips were supposed to be educational. New Jersey is filled with Revolutionary War history -- George Washington slept everywhere , and there is also Thomas Edison . . . Fortunately I loved history.

As for field day, I did everything I could to stay home that day. I was terrible at sports and it was pure torture for me . . . I did everything I could not to participate if I did happen to be in school that day. When events would happen, I was usually hiding in the bathroom. This did not make me popular with teachers, but how you can force someone to participate in what is supposed to be "fun" is beyond me . . .

BTW, I am a blonde and I sunburn very, very easily. My skin is so sensitive I can only use sunblock for sensitive skin (I also have to use laundry detergent and fabric softener for sensitive skin).
We took them to water parks in the nineties...it wouldn't fly today. Even back then we didn't apply or bring sunscreen to students. I think this is much ado about a very small problem. It's not like the kids are in the sun for 6 hours. You have to wait for the buses to come back from morning rounds to elem,middle, and high schools. By the time you drive, it's at least 10:00 before you even get off the bus. You eat around 12:00 and then it's close to 1:00 or possibly 1:30 at the latest before you have to leave. The buses must be back in time for afternoon rounds and they have to clean up the bus and fill it with gas.

I would be concerned if they wouldn't allow hats and no sunscreen.

There would be more common sense in the schools if society wasn't so sue happy. I can't tell you how many inservices I went to that discouraged giving hugs to kinder and first grade students. When you can't even give the kid who scraped their knee a hug, there is a problem. ( I gave hugs anyway)

Old 06-06-2014, 11:08 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Are the students allowed to purchase goods in the shops at the zoo or the water park? They usually sell sunscreen.
No, they are not. Maybe the ones in middle or high school. They aren't even allowed to buy their lunches and must brown bag it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education