Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 05:32 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
1. The average is $76,000. Sure some make more and some make less, but they average $76,000 a year.

2. This specific school has a problem with graduating anyone. The Chicago School district has a problem with graduating anyone. We are not talking about a specific school but an entire district.

3. Your bad at math and your a teacher?
The Chicago school district uses magnet schools to skim the cream off. What's left behind ain't pretty.

Imagine if I asked you to coach a little league team where we gave you all the players that had never thrown, hit or caught before......then called you a bad coach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 05:53 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
First off, it's clear that some posters here have no idea what "tenure" actually means. It doesn't mean a job for life, it means that experienced teachers have due process when administrators want to get rid of them.

Second, this was a bogus case brought forth on a faulty premise, and it's likely that it's going to face serious challenges through the appeals process. If teachers aren't eligible for due process based on such a flimsy claim, then I suspect that legitimate arguments could be made against other public employees (police officers, firefighters, nurses, doctors, judges) on the same grounds.
Tenure does mean a permanent contract - job for life. To fire a teacher with tenure is very difficult and amounts to a lot of bureaucratic red tape.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:22 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,049,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Good thing that won't be a problem.

Tenure is not simply a way of making sure admins are not too lazy to document what teachers are doing wrong. Perhaps you should look into what tenure really is and why it exists.

Tenure does not solve the problem you bring up. The real problem is that admins are too powerful. Admins should be hired and fired based on the merit of the institution they run. Just like teachers should be hired and fired based on the merit of the classes they run. Then admins will be incentivized to keep the teachers that result in the best performing classes.

Sorry, you can blame it on teachers all you want but the real problem are parents. The best preforming classes and schools are those that have parent involvement.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
What are you talking about? Claims adjusters are expected to settle cases. Period. If they don't, they're out. And yes, they're expected to.

Attorneys have to deal with opposing counsel, juries and judges. You don't know what you're talking about.

Don't try to say the teachers are a special case because they can't pick their students. They aren't.

Why do you think private schools do so well.....because they can pick and choose their students. They don't enroll the mentally challenged, the emotionally disturbed, the learning disabled or those who don't speak english. They pick the cream of the crop, all others go to public school. So here you have 30 plus students, many like these, in a public school classroom. How in the world could you blame a teacher for anything. They do the best they can under the circumstances.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 06-13-2014 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: fixed formatting

Old 06-13-2014, 10:16 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Here is a link to a story I was talking about from the Chicago School District

Epic fail: This school’s prom theme shows how messed up public education has become | Young Conservatives

The average income in the Chicago area for Teachers is $76,000 but the product that they turn out is not so good. 79% of the 8th graders are not at grade level for reading and 80% are not at grade level for math. I would hope that the California Education system will make changes needed because we do not have the numbers to be proud about either. In our home reading, math, education is important. We work with our kids and it shows. I just don't think you can allow the teachers to do what it is that they do and say your kids are going to be successful in school. It just won't happen in today's world.
Quote:

The rich irony of this is delicious.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:20 PM

205 posts, read 245,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
We had a Superintendent many years ago who had a saying, "The parents send us the best that they have. It's our job to teach them.".
Wow, the best they have? For some, that's not saying much lol.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
1. The average is $76,000. Sure some make more and some make less, but they average $76,000 a year.

2. This specific school has a problem with graduating anyone. The Chicago School district has a problem with graduating anyone. We are not talking about a specific school but an entire district.

I am not a math teacher, lol. So wait, now teachers have to be inherently good at every liberal arts subject even ones that they don't teach? Is that what you are saying?

Funny how you come at me about my math skills, but you appear to be a native English speaker and yet the basic tenets of grammar for "your" and "you're" seem to escape your mental grasp.

Last edited by Fire and Ice; 06-13-2014 at 10:37 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:

My daughter has a math disability and she is a teacher. She is not a math teacher though. So what's the problem

Old 06-13-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
My daughter has a math disability and she is a teacher. She is not a math teacher though. So what's the problem
Apparently a lot according to Soon2be. The funny thing is that I know a Science teacher that is absolutely horrible at English. Even so, it still doesn't prevent him from teaching every day.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:12 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,232,760 times
I work at a community college so it's slightly different. However, tenure is not a "job for life" guarantee. All it means is that there is due process to be removed. If bad instructors are not removed, it's not because tenure protects them, it's because lazy administrators don't want go through the process.

Ie: let's say I'm teaching really poorly and I should be let go. This can be done before the next school year but the dean has to have PROOF that I'm not doing my job - which means she would have to visit my class several times, document it, and do the appropriate paperwork & justify my removal. There is more than enough time to do that over the course of a school year. I can sue if I think they violated the tenure contract - and because of the way it's worded, people with tenure who have been removed have sued and won. Then again, any employee anywhere can sue for wrongful termination.

How should teachers be evaluated? By the feedback from their "customers" or students? I hate these ideas of performance evals that are dependent on student feedback. Students don't know anything about my subject, that's why they're in my class, and their common complaints are that I make them work too hard because they have to read a whole book (the horror!). Student evals are correlated to the teacher's charisma & looks and ease of getting an A, so all I would have to do to ensure a positive eval is be funny and give out As.

I feel for K-12 teachers. They have a nearly impossible job. I can kick students out of my class if they're being troublesome or ignore them if they choose not to engage. K-12 teachers don't have those luxuries and have to put up with everyone telling them how to do their job. Interestingly enough, most people who do that have never been in front of a classroom.

People should want tenure. Bad teachers are almost always the newest teachers because they don't know what the hell they're doing. Enthusiasm rarely makes up for experience. It takes 5-7 years to become good and find the style that works for you. What I don't want is for the more experienced and effective teachers to be arbitrarily laid off for no other reason than their years of service have put them higher on the salary scale.

Last edited by redguard57; 06-14-2014 at 12:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education